- •This was a virtual dodgeball intervention to elicit increased lumbar spine flexion.
- •Virtual dodgeball increased lumbar flexion within and across gameplay sessions.
- •Safety and feasibility of novel intervention for back pain was shown.
- •Brief intervention did not translate to movements outside of the virtual environment.
- •This study provided support for a clinical trial with a longer intervention period.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiological features of chronic low-back pain.Lancet. 1999; 354: 581-585
- Screening for depression in well older adults: Evaluation of a short form of the CES-D (Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale).Am J Prev Med. 1994; 10: 77-84
- Effects of avatar presentation and display environment on game perception and lumbar motion in virtual dodgeball.in: Program No. 282.06 2015 Neuroscience Meeting Planner. Society for Neuroscience, Washington, DC2015
- Lowering fear-avoidance and enhancing function through exposure in vivo. A multiple baseline study across six patients with back pain.Pain. 2004; 108: 8-16
- Beyond the good prognosis. Examination of an inception cohort of patients with chronic low back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000; 25: 115-120
CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). Prevalence and most common causes of disability among adults—United States, 2005. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 58(16):421-426, 2009
- Will this patient develop persistent disabling low back pain?.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1295-1302
- A systematic review of low back pain cost of illness studies in the United States and internationally.Spine J. 2008; 8: 8-20
- Active and passive distraction using a head-mounted display helmet: Effects on cold pressor pain in children.Health Psychol. 2007; 26: 794-801
- G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Barriers and progress in the treatment of low back pain.BMC Med. 2011; 9: 108
- The rising prevalence of chronic low back pain.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 251-258
- A rapid evidence assessment of immersive virtual reality as an adjunct therapy in acute pain management in clinical practice.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 1089-1098
- Psychological predictors of recovery from low back pain: A prospective study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015; 16: 49
- Magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasonography of the lumbar multifidus muscle. Comparison of two different modalities.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1995; 20: 54-58
- Multifidus muscle recovery is not automatic after resolution of acute, first-episode low back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1996; 21: 2763-2769
- Virtual reality helmet display quality influences the magnitude of virtual reality analgesia.J Pain. 2006; 7: 843-850
- The epidemiology of low back pain.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2010; 24: 769-781
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research.The National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2011
- Virtual reality for persistent pain: A new direction for behavioral pain management.Pain. 2012; 153: 2163-2166
- The prediction of chronicity in patients with an acute attack of low back pain in a general practice setting.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1995; 20: 478-484
- The fear-avoidance model of musculoskeletal pain: Current state of scientific evidence.J Behav Med. 2007; 30: 77-94
- Exposure in vivo versus operant graded activity in chronic low back pain patients: Results of a randomized controlled trial.Pain. 2008; 138: 192-207
- Skeletal Muscle Structure, Function, and Plasticity: The Physiological Basis for Rehabilitation.2nd ed. Lippincott, Williams &Wilkins, Baltimore2002
- A randomized controlled trial of exposure in vivo for patients with spinal pain reporting fear of work-related activities.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 722-730
- Worsening trends in the management and treatment of back pain.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1573-1581
- Psychologically informed practice for management of low back pain: Future directions in practice and research.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 820-824
- Prediction of pain in patients with chronic low back pain: Effects of inaccurate prediction and pain-related anxiety.Behav Res Ther. 1993; 31: 647-652
- Methodological considerations for using inductive sensors (3SPACE ISOTRAK) to monitor 3-D orthopaedic joint motion.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 1997; 12: 190-194
- Exercise-induced muscle damage and potential mechanisms for the repeated bout effect.Sports Med. 1999; 27: 157-170
- The McGill pain questionnaire: Major properties and scoring methods.Pain. 1975; 1: 277-299
- The McGill Pain Questionnaire: Appraisal and current status.in: Turk D.C. Melzack R. Handbook of Pain Assessment. Guilford Press, New York2001
- Decade of the Flags Working Group. Early identification and management of psychological risk factors (“yellow flags”) in patients with low back pain: A reappraisal.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 737-753
- Analgesic effects of posthypnotic suggestions and virtual reality distraction on thermal pain.J Abnorm Psychol. 2006; 115: 834-841
- The CES-D Scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Appl Psychol Meas. 1977; 1: 385-401
- A study of the natural history of back pain. Part I: Development of a reliable and sensitive measure of disability in low-back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1983; 8: 141-144
- Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO Collaborative Project on Early Detection of Persons with Harmful Alcohol Consumption–II.Addiction. 1993; 88: 791-804
- Acceptability of an online health videogame to improve diet and physical activity in elementary school students: “Fitter Critters”.Games Health J. 2012; 1: 262-268
- Scientifice approach to the assessment and management of activity related spinal disorders. A monograph for clinicians. Report of the Quebec Task Force on Spinal Disorders.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1987; 12: S1-S59
- Defining the minimum level of detectable change for the Roland-Morris questionnaire.Phys Ther. 1996; 76 (discussion: 366-358): 359-365
- An experimental investigation of the relation between catastrophizing and activity intolerance.Pain. 2002; 100: 47-53
- Kinematic and kinetic constraints on arm, trunk, and leg segments in target-reaching movements.J Neurophysiol. 2005; 93: 352-364
- Kinematic rules underlying multi-joint reaching movements, in: 30th Annual Meeting.Society for Neuroscience, New Orleans, LA2000: 1719
- Effect of movement speed on limb segment motions for reaching from a standing position.Experimental Brain Research. 2003; 148: 377-387
- Pain-related fear is associated with avoidance of spinal motion during recovery from low back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007; 32: E460-E466
- The relationship between pain-related fear and lumbar flexion during natural recovery from low back pain.Eur Spine J. 2008; 17: 97-103
- Effects of fear of movement on spine velocity and acceleration after recovery from low back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008; 33: 564-570
- The effect of chronic low back pain on trunk muscle activations in target reaching movements with various loads.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007; 32: E801-E808
- The influence of pain-related fear on peak muscle activity and force generation during maximal isometric trunk exertions.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008; 33: E342-E348
- Coordination and timing of spine and hip joints during full body reaching tasks.Hum Mov Sci. 2007; 26: 124-140
- Pain-related fear predicts reduced spinal motion following experimental back injury.Pain. 2012; 53: 1015-1021
- No pain no gain? Pursuing a competing goal inhibits avoidance behavior.Pain. 2012; 153: 800-804
- Pain-Related Fear: Exposure-Based Treatment Of Chronic Pain.International Association for the Study of Pain Press, Seattle, WA2012
- Fear of movement/(re)injury in chronic low back pain and its relation to behavioral performance.Pain. 1995; 62: 363-372
- Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A state of the art.Pain. 2000; 85: 317-332
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic musculoskeletal pain: 12 years on.Pain. 2012; 153: 1144-1147
- Studying the natural history of back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1994; 19: 20415-20465
- Fear-avoidance beliefs-a moderator of treatment efficacy in patients with low back pain: A systematic review.Spine J. 2014; 14: 2658-2678
- Evaluating the efficacy of graded in vivo exposure for the treatment of fear in patients with chronic back pain: A randomized controlled clinical trial.Pain. 2008; 136: 271-280
- A comprehensive review of the psychometric properties of the Drug Abuse Screening Test.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2007; 32: 189-198
This study was registered with ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT02301741).
Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number R21AR064430. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.