- •Field stimulation of the dorsal root ganglion is well tolerated in rats.
- •This treatment reverses allodynia and hyperalgesia that follow nerve injury.
- •Conditioned place preference shows that stimulation is rewarding during pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Italian multicentric study on pain treatment with epidural spinal cord stimulation.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 1994; 62: 273-278
- Role of nucleus accumbens in neuropathic pain: Linked multi-scale evidence in the rat transitioning to neuropathic pain.Pain. 2014; 155: 1128-1139
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Behavioral signs of ongoing pain and cold allodynia in a rat model of neuropathic pain.Pain. 1994; 59: 369-376
- Neurophysiological assessment of spinal cord stimulation in failed back surgery syndrome.Pain. 2010; 150: 485-491
- Spared nerve injury: An animal model of persistent peripheral neuropathic pain.Pain. 2000; 87: 149-158
- A prospective study of dorsal root ganglion stimulation for the relief of chronic pain.Neuromodulation. 2013; 16 (discussion: 71-2): 67-71
- The appropriate use of neurostimulation of the spinal cord and peripheral nervous system for the treatment of chronic pain and ischemic diseases: The Neuromodulation Appropriateness Consensus Committee.Neuromodulation. 2014; 17 (discussion: 550): 515-550
- Dorsal root ganglion (DRG) stimulation in the treatment of phantom limb pain (PLP).Neuromodulation. 2015; 18 (discussion: 616-7): 610-616
- Increased Na+ and K+ currents in small mouse dorsal root ganglion neurons after ganglion compression.J Neurophysiol. 2011; 106: 211-218
- Direct injection into the dorsal root ganglion: Technical, behavioral, and histological observations.J Neurosci Methods. 2011; 199: 43-55
- Sustained relief of neuropathic pain by AAV-targeted expression of CBD3 peptide in rat dorsal root ganglion.Gene Ther. 2014; 21: 44-51
- Failure of action potential propagation in sensory neurons: Mechanisms and loss of afferent filtering in C-type units after painful nerve injury.J Physiol. 2013; 591: 1111-1131
- Detection of neuropathic pain in a rat model of peripheral nerve injury.Anesthesiology. 2004; 101: 476-487
- Endogenous analgesic action of the pontospinal noradrenergic system spatially restricts and temporally delays the progression of neuropathic pain following tibial nerve injury.Pain. 2013; 154: 1680-1690
- Three markers of adult non-myelin-forming Schwann cells, 217c(Ran-1), A5E3 and GFAP: Development and regulation by neuron-Schwann cell interactions.Development. 1990; 109: 91-103
- Vascularization of the dorsal root ganglia and peripheral nerve of the mouse: Implications for chemical-induced peripheral sensory neuropathies.Mol Pain. 2008; 4: 10
- Sham device v inert pill: Randomised controlled trial of two placebo treatments.BMJ. 2006; 332: 391-397
- Unmasking the tonic-aversive state in neuropathic pain.Nat Neurosci. 2009; 12: 1364-1366
- Effect of electrical field stimulation on dorsal root ganglion neuronal function.Neuromodulation. 2013; 16 (discussion: 310-1): 304-311
- Lack of body positional effects on paresthesias when stimulating the dorsal root ganglion (DRG) in the treatment of chronic pain.Neuromodulation. 2015; 18 (discussion: 57): 50-57
- An animal model of neuropathic pain employing injury to the sciatic nerve branches.Neuroreport. 2000; 11: 657-661
Levy R: Dorsal root ganglion stimulation for treatment of chronic regional pain syndrome. Presented at the North American Neuromodulation Society, Las Vegas, January 15, 2015
- A multicenter, prospective trial to assess the safety and performance of the spinal modulation dorsal root ganglion neurostimulator system in the treatment of chronic pain.Neuromodulation. 2013; 16 (discussion: 482): 471-482
- One-year outcomes of spinal cord stimulation of the dorsal root ganglion in the treatment of chronic neuropathic pain.Neuromodulation. 2015; 18 (discussion: 48-9): 41-48
- Placebo responses to medical device therapy for pain.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 1989; 53: 149-156
- Spinal cord stimulation for intractable pain following limb amputation.Neuromodulation. 2013; 16 (discussion: 536): 530-536
- Mode of action of spinal cord stimulation in neuropathic pain.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2006; 31: S6-S12
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling in the ventral tegmental area mediates cocaine-induced synaptic plasticity and rewarding effects.J Neurosci. 2011; 31: 11244-11255
- Selective nerve root blocks for the treatment of sciatica: Evaluation of injection site and effectiveness–a study with patients and cadavers.Radiology. 2001; 221: 704-711
- Spinal cord stimulation of the dorsal root ganglion for groin pain-a retrospective review.Pain Pract. 2015; 15: 293-299
- The somatotopic organization of primary afferent terminals in the superficial laminae of the dorsal horn of the rat spinal cord.J Comp Neurol. 1985; 231: 66-77
- Ca(2)(+)-dependent regulation of Ca(2)(+) currents in rat primary afferent neurons: Role of CaMKII and the effect of injury.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 11737-11749
- Loss of glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) impairs Schwann cell proliferation and delays nerve regeneration after damage.J Cell Sci. 2006; 119: 3981-3993
- The effect of spinal cord stimulation in mice with chronic neuropathic pain after partial ligation of the sciatic nerve.Pain. 2009; 145: 312-318
- Successful treatment of intractable complex regional pain syndrome type I of the knee with dorsal root ganglion stimulation: A case report.Neuromodulation. 2015; 18 (discussion: 60-1): 58-60
- Stimulation of dorsal root ganglia for the management of complex regional pain syndrome: A prospective case series.Pain Pract. 2015; 15: 208-216
- Learned avoidance from noxious mechanical simulation but not threshold semmes weinstein filament stimulation after nerve injury in rats.J Pain. 2010; 11: 280-286
- Paresthesia mapping: A practical workup for successful implantation of the dorsal root ganglion stimulator in refractory groin pain.Neuromodulation. 2014; 17 (discussion: 669): 665-669
Funding was provided by an unrestricted research grant from Spinal Modulation Inc. They had no role in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data. J. Kramer, a previous employee of Spinal Modulation Inc, participated in writing the report and approved of the decision to submit the article for publication.
Q.H. Hogan has received consultancy fees and research support from Spinal Modulation Inc. J.M. Kramer is an employee of St. Jude Medical Inc. The remaining authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.