- •A taper strategy for outpatients receiving long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain is needed.
- •Thirty-five subjects were randomized to a 22-week taper support intervention or usual care.
- •Subjects randomized to taper support achieved lower opioid daily doses without an increase in pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The prescribed opioids difficulties scale: A patient-centered assessment of problems and concerns.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 489-497
- Validation of the Insomnia Severity Index as an outcome measure for insomnia research.Sleep Med. 2001; 2: 297-307
- A proactive response to prescription opioid abuse.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1480-1485
- Six-item screener to identify cognitive impairment among potential subjects for clinical research.Med Care. 2002; 40: 771-781
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics: Multiple cause-of-death data, 1999-2013. Available at: https://wonder.cdc.gov/mcd.html Accessed September 11, 2016
- Effect of mindfulness-based stress reduction vs cognitive behavioral therapy or usual care on back pain and functional limitations in adults with chronic low back pain: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1240-1249
- Pain assessment: Global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1994; 23: 129-138
- Opioid tapering in fibromyalgia patients: Experience from an interdisciplinary pain rehabilitation program.Pain Med. 2016; 17: 1676-1685
- Patterns of opioid use for chronic noncancer pain in the Veterans Health Administration from 2009 to 2011.Pain. 2014; 155: 2337-2343
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for individuals with chronic pain: Efficacy, innovations, and directions for research.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 153-166
- High-risk use by patients prescribed opioids for pain and its role in overdose deaths.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 796-801
- Validation of the Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test (ASSIST).Addiction. 2008; 103: 1039-1047
- Somatic complaints in primary care: Further examining the validity of the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-15).Psychosomatics. 2006; 47: 392-398
- Prescription Opioid Misuse Index: A brief questionnaire to assess misuse.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2008; 35: 380-386
- The PHQ-9: Validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- The Patient Health Questionnaire Somatic, Anxiety, and Depressive Symptom Scales: A systematic review.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010; 32: 345-359
- Trends in opioid prescriptions among Part D Medicare recipients from 2007 to 2012.Am J Med. 2016; 129: 221.e21-221.e30
- Validation and standardization of the Generalized Anxiety Disorder Screener (GAD-7) in the general population.Med Care. 2008; 46: 266-274
- Prescription practices involving opioid analgesics among Americans with Medicaid, 2010.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2015; 26: 182-198
- Worldwide prevalence and trends in unintentional drug overdose: A systematic review of the literature.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e29-e49
- Assessing craving and its relationship to subsequent prescription opioid use among treatment-seeking prescription opioid dependent patients.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 145: 121-126
- Opioid cessation and multidimensional outcomes after interdisciplinary chronic pain treatment.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 109-117
- Addressing the opioid epidemic.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1453-1454
- The pain self-efficacy questionnaire: Taking pain into account.Eur J Pain. 2007; 11: 153-163
- Chronic noncancer pain rehabilitation with opioid withdrawal: Comparison of treatment outcomes based on opioid use status at admission.Mayo Clin Proc. 2004; 79: 759-768
- Patients’ impression of change following treatment for chronic pain: Global, specific, a single dimension, or many?.J Pain. 2015; 16: 518-526
- The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): The development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59 (quiz: 34-57): 22-33
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Results from the 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings. Available at: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUHresultsPDFWHTML2013/Web/NSDUHresults2013.pdf Accessed April 26, 2016
- Validation of the Brief Pain Inventory for chronic nonmalignant pain.J Pain. 2004; 5: 133-137
- A longitudinal study of the efficacy of a comprehensive pain rehabilitation program with opioid withdrawal: Comparison of treatment outcomes based on opioid use status at admission.Pain. 2008; 140: 177-189
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction and cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic low back pain: Similar effects on mindfulness, catastrophizing, self-efficacy, and acceptance in a randomized controlled trial.Pain. 2016; 157: 2434-2444
- Adjunctive counseling during brief and extended buprenorphine-naloxone treatment for prescription opioid dependence: A 2-phase randomized controlled trial.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011; 68: 1238-1246
- Interventions for the reduction of prescribed opioid use in chronic non-cancer pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : CD010323
This work was supported by grant R34DA033384 to Mark D. Sullivan from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which had no influence on study design, collection, analysis and interpretation of data, the writing of the report, or the decision to submit the article for publication.
M.D.S. reports consulting with Chrono Therapeutics. The remaining authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.