- •The criteria used to make fibromyalgia recommendations are inconsistent.
- •Level and strength of evidence, sample size, treatment duration, and follow-up vary.
- •Failure to weigh inclusion of intent to treat analyses across studies exists.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Ablin JN, Amital H, Ahrenfeld HM, Ehrenfeld M, Aloush V, Elkayam O, Langevitz P, Mevorach D, Mader R, Sachar T, Amital D, Buskila D, Israeli Rheumatology Association: Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of the fibromyalgia syndrome [in Hebrew]. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24483001. Accessed February 10, 2017
- GRADE guidelines: 15. Going from evidence to recommendation—determinants of a recommendation’s direction and strength.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 726-735
- A framework for fibromyalgia management for primary care providers.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 488-496
AWMF online: Supplement Fibromyalgia- Syndrome – A interdisciplinary S3 guideline: Background and goals – Methodology – Classification – Pathophysiology – Principles of Treatment and various Treatment methods [in German]. Available at: http://www.awmf.org/leitlinien/detail/ll/041-004.html. Accessed February 10, 2017
- Cognitive behavioural therapies for fibromyalgia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : CD0001984
Bernardy K, Klose P, Busch AJ, Choy EH, Häuser W: Cognitive behavioural therapies for fibromyalgia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013 Sep 10;9:CD009796. Addendum zu 041/004, Definition, Pathophysiologie, Diagnostik und Therapie des Fibromyalgiesyndroms
- Methodological fundamentals for the development of the guideline [in German].Schmerz. 2008; 222: 244-254
- Aquatic exercise training for fibromyalgia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; : CD011336
- Guideline for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome pain in adults and children (Clinical practice guideline; no.4).American Pain Society, Glenview, IL2005
- Exercise for treating fibromyalgia syndrome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; : CD003786
- EULAR evidence-based recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome.Ann Rheum Dis. 2008; 67: 536-541
- Genetic basis for individual variations in pain perception and the development of a chronic pain condition.Hum Mol Genet. 2005; 14: 135-143
- Adherence during an individualized home based 12-week exercise program in women with fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2006; 33: 333-341
- 2012 Canadian guidelines for the diagnosis and management of fibromyalgia syndrome: Executive summary.Pain Res Manag. 2013; 18: 119-126
- Subgrouping of fibromyalgia patients on the basis of pressure-pain threshold and psychological factors.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 2916-2922
- GRADE guidelines: 1. Introduction—GRADE evidence profiles and summary of findings tables.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 383-394
- The effects of 12 weeks of resistance exercise training on disease severity and autonomic modulation at rest and after acute leg resistance exercise in women with fibromyalgia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1551-1557
- Efficacy and safety of meditative movement therapies in fibromyalgia syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Rheumatol Int. 2013; 33: 193-207
- EULAR revised recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia.Ann Rheum Dis. 2016; 76: 318-328
- Pool exercise combined with an education program for patients with fibromyalgia syndrome. A prospective, randomized study.J Rheumatol. 2000; 27: 2473-2481
- Fibromyalgia syndrome module at OMERACT 9: Domain construct.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 2318-2329
- Exercise training in treatment of fibromyalgia.J Musculoskel Pain. 1997; 5: 71-79
OCEBM Levels of Evidence Working Group: The Oxford Levels of Evidence 2. Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine. Available at: http://www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=5653 Accessed February 17, 2017
- An observer-blinded comparison of supervised and unsupervised aerobic exercise regimens in fibromyalgia.Rheumatology. 2000; 39: 501-505
- The effects of progressive strength training and aerobic exercise on muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness in women with fibromyalgia: A pilot study.Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 47: 22-28
- Development of AMSTAR: A measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007; 7: 10
- Differential psychophysiological effects of operant and cognitive behavioural treatments in women with fibromyalgia.Eur J Pain. 2016; 20: 1478-1489
- The relationship among psychological and psychophysiological characteristics of fibromyalgia patients.J Pain. 2015; 16: 186-196
- Fibromyalgia: A patient-oriented perspective.in: Dworkin R.H. Breitbart W.S. Psychosocial and Psychiatric Aspects of Pain: A Handbook for Health Care Providers. IASP Press, Seattle, WA2004: 309-338
- Differential responses by psychosocial subgroups of fibromyalgia syndrome patients to an interdisciplinary treatment.Arthritis Care Res. 1998; 11: 397-404
- Pain, disability, and physical functioning of patients with fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 1996; 23: 1255-1262
- Effects of a group activity program for fibromyalgia patients on physical fitness and well-being.J Musculoskel Pain. 1997; 5: 17-28
- Toward the identification of symptom patterns in people with fibromyalgia.Arthritis Care Res. 2009; 61: 527-534
- The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity.Arthritis Care Res. 2010; 62: 600-610
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 160-172
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.