- •Hyperalgesic priming is a sexually dimorphic model of transition to chronic pain.
- •Priming involves activation of an autocrine mechanism at the nociceptor membrane.
- •Adenosine, produced by this mechanism, triggers hyperalgesia in primed nociceptors.
- •In females, estrogen, via estrogen receptor α, regulates the autocrine mechanism.
- •Interaction estrogen receptor α/ecto-5'nucleotidase modulates adenosine synthesis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- TRPC1 and TRPC6 channels cooperate with TRPV4 to mediate mechanical hyperalgesia and nociceptor sensitization.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 6217-6228
- Role of protein kinase A in the maintenance of inflammatory pain.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 2181-2186
- Chronic hypersensitivity for inflammatory nociceptor sensitization mediated by the epsilon isozyme of protein kinase C.J Neurosci. 2000; 20: 4680-4685
- Ecto-5′-nucleotidase (CD73)-mediated formation of adenosine is critical for the striatal adenosine A2A receptor functions.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 11390-11399
- Generation of a pain memory in the primary afferent nociceptor triggered by PKCŒμ activation of CPEB.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 2018-2026
- Neuroimmunology: A painful difference between the sexes.Nat Rev Immunol. 2015; 15: 469
- Measurement of intracellular free calcium in monkey kidney cells with aequorin.Science. 1982; 217: 252-254
- Sex, drugs and pain control.Nat Neurosci. 2015; 18: 1059-1060
- Dissociation of bradykinin-induced prostaglandin formation from phosphatidylinositol turnover in Swiss 3T3 fibroblasts: Evidence for G protein regulation of phospholipase A2.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987; 84: 6374-6378
- Genome-wide analysis of estrogen receptor binding sites.Nat Genet. 2006; 38: 1289-1297
- Different cellular sources and different roles of adenosine: A1 receptor-mediated inhibition through astrocytic-driven volume transmission and synapse-restricted A2A receptor-mediated facilitation of plasticity.Neurochem Int. 2008; 52: 65-72
- Activation of Gi induces mechanical hyperalgesia poststress or inflammation.Neuroscience. 2009; 160: 501-507
- Contribution of the extracellular cAMP-adenosine pathway to dual coupling of β2-adrenoceptors to Gs and Gi proteins in mouse skeletal muscle.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012; 341: 820-828
- Androgens’ effects to enhance learning may be mediated in part through actions at estrogen receptor-beta in the hippocampus.Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2007; 87: 78-85
- Myocardial adenosine A(1)-receptor-mediated adenoprotection involves phospholipase C, PKC-epsilon, and p38 MAPK, but not HSP27.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010; 298: H1671-H1678
- Peripheral administration of translation inhibitors reverses increased hyperalgesia in a model of chronic pain in the rat.J Pain. 2013; 14: 731-738
- Role of nociceptor αCaMKII in transition from acute to chronic pain (hyperalgesic priming) in male and female rats.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 11002-11011
- Second messengers mediating the expression of neuroplasticity in a model of chronic pain in the rat.J Pain. 2014; 15: 312-320
- Accounting for the delay in the transition from acute to chronic pain: Axonal and nuclear mechanisms.J Neurosci. 2015; 35: 495-507
- Marked sexual dimorphism in the role of the ryanodine receptor in a model of pain chronification in the rat.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 31221
- Role of a novel nociceptor autocrine mechanism in chronic pain.Eur J Neurosci. 2013; 37: 1705-1713
- Plasma membrane mechanisms in a preclinical rat model of chronic pain.J Pain. 2015; 16: 60-66
- Sex steroid hormones matter for learning and memory: Estrogenic regulation of hippocampal function in male and female rodents.Learn Mem. 2015; 22: 472-493
- Estrogen actions in the brain and the basis for differential action in men and women: A case for sex-specific medicines.Pharmacol Rev. 2010; 62: 155-198
- Regulation of intracellular cyclic AMP in skeletal muscle cells involves the efflux of cyclic nucleotide to the extracellular compartment.Br J Pharmacol. 2003; 138: 995-1003
- Sexual dimorphism and temporomandibular disorders (TMD).Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2007; 19 (viii): 267-277
- Role of the extracellular cAMP-adenosine pathway in renal physiology.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2001; 281: F597-F612
- Estrogen receptor-mediated repression of human hepatic lipase gene transcription.J Lipid Res. 2002; 43: 383-391
- Hyperalgesic priming in the rat demonstrates marked sexual dimorphism.Pain. 2003; 105: 143-150
- Female hippocampal estrogens have a significant correlation with cyclic fluctuation of hippocampal spines.Front Neural Circuits. 2013; 7: 149
- Sensitization of the nervous system, induced by two successive hindpaw inflammations, is suppressed by a local anesthetic.Brain Res. 1998; 794: 19-27
- Stress induces a switch of intracellular signaling in sensory neurons in a model of generalized pain.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 5721-5730
- A novel nociceptor signaling pathway revealed in protein kinase C epsilon mutant mice.Neuron. 1999; 24: 253-260
- Ecto-nucleoside triphosphate diphosphohydrolase 3 in the ventral and lateral hypothalamic area of female rats: Morphological characterization and functional implications.Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009; 7: 31
- Estrogen receptor beta is involved in the anorectic action of estrogen.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2002; 26: 1103-1109
- Medical problems of musicians.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 221-227
- Delayed muscle soreness. The inflammatory response to muscle injury and its clinical implications.Sports Med. 1995; 20: 24-40
- Sex differences in pain: A tale of two immune cells.Pain. 2016; 157: S2-S6
- Cumulative trauma disorders and repetitive strain injuries. The future.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; : 107-126
- 17β-Estradiol upregulates ecto-5′-nucleotidase (CD73) in hippocampal synaptosomes of female rats through action mediated by estrogen receptor-α and -β.Neuroscience. 2016; 324: 286-296
- Effect of steroid hormone deprivation on the expression of ecto-ATPase in distinct brain regions of female rats.Physiol Res. 2000; 49: 419-426
- Chronic hyperalgesic priming in the rat involves a novel interaction between cAMP and PKCepsilon second messenger pathways.Pain. 2005; 113: 185-190
- Tumor necrosis factor receptor type-1 in sensory neurons contributes to induction of chronic enhancement of inflammatory hyperalgesia in rat.Eur J Neurosci. 2003; 17: 1847-1852
- Transient attenuation of protein kinase C epsilon can terminate a chronic hyperalgesic state in the rat.Neuroscience. 2003; 120: 219-226
- A method for measurement of analgesic activity on inflamed tissue.Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1957; 111: 409-419
- Critical role of nociceptor plasticity in chronic pain.Trends Neurosci. 2009; 32: 611-618
- Effects of steroid hormones on synaptosomal ectonucleotidase activities from hippocampus and cortex of adult female rats.Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2005; 140: 94-100
- Differential regulation of BDNF, synaptic plasticity and sprouting in the hippocampal mossy fiber pathway of male and female rats.Neuropharmacology. 2014; 76: 696-708
- Neuromodulation and metamodulation by adenosine: Impact and subtleties upon synaptic plasticity regulation.Brain Res. 2015; 1621: 102-113
- Molecular signature of rapid estrogen regulation of synaptic connectivity and cognition.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2015; 36: 72-89
- Pain and temporomandibular disorders: A pharmaco-gender dilemma.Dent Clin North Am. 2013; 57: 233-262
- Different immune cells mediate mechanical pain hypersensitivity in male and female mice.Nat Neurosci. 2015; 18: 1081-1083
- Uncovering the mechanisms of estrogen effects on hippocampal function.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2008; 29: 219-237
- The role of extracellular adenosine in chemical neurotransmission in the hippocampus and basal ganglia: Pharmacological and clinical aspects.Curr Top Med Chem. 2011; 11: 1034-1046
- Adenosine metabolism during phorbol myristate acetate-mediated induction of HL-60 cell differentiation: Changes in expression pattern of adenosine kinase, adenosine deaminase, and 5′-nucleotidase.J Immunol. 1997; 158: 4947-4952
- Tissue-specific regulation of the ecto-5′-nucleotidase promoter. Role of the camp response element site in mediating repression by the upstream regulatory region.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 22705-22712
- The contribution of training to sensitivity in the nociceptive paw-withdrawal test.Brain Res. 1989; 487: 148-151
- Adenosine A1 receptors promote vasa vasorum endothelial cell barrier integrity via Gi and Akt-dependent actin cytoskeleton remodeling.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e59733
- Estrogen receptor beta binds to and regulates three distinct classes of target genes.J Biol Chem. 2010; 285: 22059-22066
- Estrogen and Myc negatively regulate expression of the EphA2 tyrosine kinase.J Cell Biochem. 2002; 85: 714-720
- 5′-Nucleotidase: Molecular structure and functional aspects.Biochem J. 1992; 285: 345-365
- Cellular function and molecular structure of ecto-nucleotidases.Purinergic Signal. 2012; 8: 437-502
This study was funded by a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NS084545).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.