- •Acceptance and commitment therapy includes a process called “self-as-context.”
- •Acceptance and commitment therapy-based treatment for chronic pain appeared beneficial.
- •The treatment was associated with improved self-as-context and improved functioning.
- •Changes in self-as-context were associated with changes in functioning.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Measuring self and rules in what people say: Exploring whether self-discrimination predicts long-term well-being.J Contextual Behav Sci. 2016; 5: 71-79
- Pain assessment: Global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med. 1994; 23: 129-138
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Laurence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Willing and able: A closer look at pain willingness and activity engagement on the Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire (CPAQ-8).J Pain. 2013; 14: 233-245
- Validation of the Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire (CPAQ) in an Internet sample and development and preliminary validation of the CPAQ-8.Pain. 2010; 149: 435-443
- Initial psychometric properties of the experiences questionnaire: Validation of a self-report measure of decentering.Behav Ther. 2007; 38: 234-246
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of acceptance and commitment therapy for adults with chronic pain: Outcome domains, design quality, and efficacy.J Contextual Behav Sci. 2014; 3: 217-227
- Acceptance and commitment therapy as a unified model of behavior change.Couns Psychol. 2012; 40: 976-1002
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: The Process and Practice of Mindful Change (2nd Edition).Guilford Press, New York2012
- Open, aware, and active: Contextual approaches as an emerging trend in the behavioral and cognitive therapies.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2011; 7: 141-168
- The response styles theory of depression: Tests and an extension of the theory.J Abnorm Psychol. 1997; 106: 221
- The PHQ-9: Validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Decentering, rumination, cognitive defusion, and psychological flexibility in people with chronic pain.J Behav Med. 2014; 37: 1215-1225
- The Cognitive Fusion Questionnaire: A preliminary study of psychometric properties and prediction of functioning in chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 894-901
- Processes of change in psychological flexibility in an interdisciplinary group-based treatment for chronic pain based on acceptance and commitment therapy.Behav Res Ther. 2011; 49: 267-274
- “Decentering” reflects psychological flexibility in people with chronic pain and correlates with their quality of functioning.Health Psychol. 2014; 32: 820
- The psychological flexibility model: A basis for integration and progress in psychological approaches to chronic pain management.J Pain. 2014; 15: 221-234
- Acceptance and commitment therapy and mindfulness for chronic pain: Model, process, and progress.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 178
- Acceptance of chronic pain: Component analysis and a revised assessment method.Pain. 2004; 107: 159-166
- The Work and Social Adjustment Scale: A simple measure of impairment in functioning.Br J Psychiatry. 2002; 180: 461-464
- Effects of rumination and distraction on naturally occurring depressed mood.Cogn Emot. 1993; 7: 561-570
- Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life: The remarkable universality of half a standard deviation.Med Care. 2003; 41: 582-592
- The personal experience of chronic benign lower back pain: An interpretative phenomenological analysis.Br J Health Psychol. 1998; 3: 65-83
- An empirical test of a clinical metacognitive model of rumination and depression.Cogn Ther Res. 2003; 27: 261-273
- A comprehensive examination of changes in psychological flexibility following acceptance and commitment therapy for chronic pain.J Contemp Psychother. 2016; 46: 139-148
- A confirmatory factor analysis of facets of psychological flexibility in a sample of people seeking treatment for chronic pain.Ann Behav Med. 2016; 50: 285-296
- A meta-ethnography of patients’ experience of chronic non-malignant musculoskeletal pain.Health Services and Delivery Research. 2013; 12
- Psychological flexibility and catastrophizing as associated change mechanisms during online acceptance and commitment therapy for chronic pain.Behav Res Ther. 2015; 74: 50-59
- A comprehensive examination of the model underlying acceptance and commitment therapy for chronic pain.Behav Ther. 2014; 45: 390-401
- Psychological flexibility as a mediator of improvement in acceptance and commitment therapy for patients with chronic pain following whiplash.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 1059.e1-1059.e11
- In search of the person in pain: A systematic review of conceptualization, assessment methods, and evidence for self and identity in chronic pain.J Contextual Behav Sci. 2015; 4: 246-262
- The Self Experiences Questionnaire (SEQ): Preliminary analyses for a measure of self in people with chronic pain.J Context Behav Sci. 2016; 5: 127-133
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.