- •Families experienced major surgery as a stressful event, well beyond return home.
- •Families felt under-prepared for surgery, particularly pain and physical recovery.
- •Families and providers were interested in a perioperative psychosocial intervention.
- •Flexible delivery of an intervention teaching coping skills at home would be ideal.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Early rehabilitation targeting cognition, behavior, and motor function after lumbar fusion: a randomized controlled trial.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35: 848-857
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Research Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Caregivers’ descriptions of sleep changes and depressive symptoms.Oncol Nurs Forum. 2002; 29: 1277-1283
- Guided imagery for adolescent post-spinal fusion pain management: A pilot study.Pain Manag Nurs. 2015; 16: 211-220
- Importance of the back-cafe concept to rehabilitation after lumbar spinal fusion: A randomized clinical study with a 2-year follow-up.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003; 28: 2561-2569
- Predictors of postoperative pain trajectories in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.Spine. 2014; 39: E174-E181
- Psychological interventions in managing postoperative pain in children: A systematic review.Pain. 2016; 157: 1872-1886
- 2004 National Hospital Discharge Survey.Adv Data. 2006; : 1-19
- Psychological therapies (remotely delivered) for the management of chronic and recurrent pain in children and adolescents.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : CD011118
- Web-based tailored intervention for preparation of parents and children for outpatient surgery (WebTIPS): Formative evaluation and randomized controlled trial.Anesth Analg. 2015; 120: 915-922
- The effects of hypnosis/guided imagery on the postoperative course of children.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1996; 17: 307-310
- Cognitive-behavioral intervention effects on adolescents’ anxiety and pain following spinal fusion surgery.Nurs Res. 2003; 52: 183-190
- Use of the PREPARE (PREhabilitation, Physical Activity and exeRcisE) program to improve outcomes after lumbar fusion surgery for severe low back pain: A study protocol of a person-centred randomised controlled trial.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016; 17: 349
- Management of catastrophising and kinesiophobia improves rehabilitation after fusion for lumbar spondylolisthesis and stenosis. A randomised controlled trial.Eur Spine J. 2014; 23: 87-95
- Standards for reporting qualitative research: A synthesis of recommendations.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 1245-1251
- Hispanic parents’ experiences of the process of caring for a child undergoing routine surgery: A focus on pain and pain management.J Spec Pediatr Nurs. 2015; 20: 165-177
- Parental risk factors for the development of pediatric acute and chronic postsurgical pain: A longitudinal study.J Pain Res. 2013; 6: 727-741
- Identification of pain-related psychological risk factors for the development and maintenance of pediatric chronic postsurgical pain.J Pain Res. 2013; 6: 167-180
- Internet-delivered cognitive-behavioral treatment for adolescents with chronic pain and their parents: A randomized controlled multicenter trial.Pain. 2016; 157: 174-185
- Pain and health-related quality of life after pediatric inpatient surgery.J Pain. 2015; 16: 1334-1341
- Trajectories of postsurgical pain in children: Risk factors and impact of late pain recovery on long-term health outcomes after major surgery.Pain. 2015; 156: 2383-2389
- Interrelationships between sleep and pain in children undergoing major surgery.J Pain. 2016; 17: S37
- Does preoperative orientation and education alleviate anxiety in posterior spinal fusion patients? A prospective, randomized study.J Pediatr Orthop. 2015; 35: 276-279
- Does a preoperative cognitive-behavioral intervention affect disability, pain behavior, pain, and return to work the first year after lumbar spinal fusion surgery?.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015; 40: 593-600
- Stress symptoms among adolescents before and after scoliosis surgery: Correlations with postoperative pain.J Clin Nurs. 2016; 25: 1086-1094
- Parents’ self-identified stressors and coping strategies during adolescents’ spinal surgery experiences.Clin Nurs Res. 2007; 16: 212-230
- Understanding the information and service needs of young adults with chronic pain: Perspectives of young adults and their providers.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 600-612
- Qualitative rigor or research validity in qualitative research.J Spec Pediatr Nurs. 2011; 16: 151-155
- Commentary: Writing and evaluating qualitative research reports.J Pediatr Psychol. 2016; 41: 493-505
This study was funded by the American Pain Society Future Leaders in Pain Research Award (PI: Rabbitts); J.A.R. is also supported by Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number K23HD078239; T.M.P. is supported by NIH K24HD060068; R.V.A. is supported by T32GM086270.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.