- •We improved surgical procedure to induce trigeminal neuropathic pain in rats.
- •We performed chronic constriction injury on distal infraorbital nerve (dIoN-CCI).
- •The dIoN-CCI model was easy to perform, minimally invasive, and time saving
- •The dIoN-CCI rats exhibited pain behaviors over a prolonged period.
- •This is a more clinically relevant rodent model for trigeminal neuropathic pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trigeminal injury causes kappa opioid-dependent allodynic, glial and immune cell responses in mice.Mol Pain. 2010; 6: 8
- A peripheral mononeuropathy in rat that produces disorders of pain sensation like those seen in man.Pain. 1988; 33: 87-107
- Application of a pro-inflammatory agent to the orbital portion of the rat infraorbital nerve induces changes indicative of ongoing trigeminal pain.Pain. 2002; 99: 567-578
- Stress produced by gavage administration in the rat.Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci. 2000; 39: 17-21
- Effect of gabapentin and lamotrigine on mechanical allodynia-like behaviour in a rat model of trigeminal neuropathic pain.Pain. 2001; 93: 147-153
- The 5-HT(1A) receptor agonist F 13640 attenuates mechanical allodynia in a rat model of trigeminal neuropathic pain.Eur J Pharmacol. 2002; 456: 51-57
- Neurokinetics of lidocaine in the infraorbital nerve of the rat in vivo: Relation to sensory block.Anesthesiology. 1975; 42: 731-736
- The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinates, Amsterdam.Elsevier, The Netherlands2007
- Rat whisker movement after facial nerve lesion: Evidence for autonomic contraction of skeletal muscle.Neuroscience. 2014; 265: 9-20
- Effect of a novel, orally active matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 inhibitor in spinal and trigeminal rat models of neuropathic pain.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2015; 29: 286-296
- Options in treating trigeminal neuralgia: Experience with 195 patients.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2016; 149: 166-170
- Characterization of heat-hyperalgesia in an experimental trigeminal neuropathy in rats.Exp Brain Res. 1997; 116: 97-103
- Chronic constriction injury of the infraorbital nerve in the rat using modified syringe needle.J Neurosci Methods. 2008; 172: 43-47
- Central terminal sensitization of TRPV1 by descending serotonergic facilitation modulates chronic pain.Neuron. 2014; 81: 873-887
Lewis SS, Grace PM, Hutchinson MR, Maier SF,Watkins LR: Constriction of the buccal branch of the facialnerve produces unilateral craniofacial allodynia. Brain Behav Immun, 2016 December 18; [Epub ahead of print]
- Trigeminal nerve injury-induced thrombospondin-4 up-regulation contributes to orofacial neuropathic pain states in a rat model.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 489-495
- The role of large-conductance, calcium-activated potassium channels in a rat model of trigeminal neuropathic pain.Cephalalgia. 2015; 35: 16-35
- Gustatory terminal field organization and developmental plasticity in the nucleus of the solitary tract revealed through triple-fluorescence labeling.J Comp Neurol. 2006; 497: 658-669
- On the facial artery of the rat.Shika Kiso Igakkai Zasshi. 1988; 30: 12
- Spared nerve injury model to study orofacial pain.Indian J Med Res. 2016; 143: 297-302
Renton T: Chronic orofacial pain. Oral Dis 2016 July 14; [Epub ahead of print]
- Extra-territorial pain in rats with a peripheral mononeuropathy: Mechano-hyperalgesia and mechano-allodynia in the territory of an uninjured nerve.Pain. 1994; 57: 375-382
- A discussion on alimentary toxaemia; its sources, consequences, and treatment.Proc R Soc Med. 1913; 6: 371-374
- Behavioral assessment of facial pain in rats: Face grooming patterns after painful and non-painful sensory disturbances in the territory of the rat’s infraorbital nerve.Pain. 1998; 76: 173-178
- Behavioral evidence of trigeminal neuropathic pain following chronic constriction injury to the rat’s infraorbital nerve.J Neurosci. 1994; 14: 2708-2723
- Supraspinal glial-neuronal interactions contribute to descending pain facilitation.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 10482-10495
- Towards a new taxonomy of idiopathic orofacial pain.Pain. 2005; 116: 396-406
- Partial infraorbital nerve ligation as a model of trigeminal nerve injury in the mouse: Behavioral, neural, and glial reactions.J Pain. 2008; 9: 1036-1048
- Persistent nociception induces anxiety-like behavior in rodents: Role of endogenous neuropeptide S.Pain. 2014; 155: 1504-1515
- Rat model of trigeminal neuralgia using cobra venom mimics the electron microscopy, behavioral, and anticonvulsant drug responses seen in patients.Pain Phys. 2015; 18: E1083-E1090
W.D., Z.Y., and S.S. contributed equally to this work.
S.Z. and J.M. contributed equally to this work.
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health grants R01 DE022901 and R01 DE018214 (J.M.), Hangzhou Science and Technology Plan No 20130633B02 and Zhejiang Medical Science and Technology Plan No 2011KYB064 (W.D.), and National Natural Science Foundation of China 81471171 (S.Z.).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.