- •Classical conditioning processes may contribute to chronic pain-related disability.
- •Seven studies investigated if chronic pain relates to altered classical conditioning.
- •Chronic pain patients tend to show less selective pain expectancy and fear learning.
- •Classical conditioning deficits may predispose or maintain chronic pain disability.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Failure to condition to a cue is associated with sustained contextual fear.Acta Psychol (Amst). 2008; 127: 581-592
- Do people with chronic pain have impaired executive function? A meta-analytical review.Clin Psychol Rev. 2014; 34: 563-579
- Evidence for working memory deficits in chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2013; 154: 1181-1196
- Development of anxiety: The role of threat appraisal and fear learning.Depress Anxiety. 2011; 28: 5-17
- Will this patient develop persistent disabling low back pain?.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1295-1302
- Review Manager (RevMan). 5.0.The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, Copenhagen2008
- Ten rural women living with fibromyalgia tell it like it is.Holist Nurs Pract. 2002; 16: 35-45
- A Biobehavioral Perspective of Chronic Pain and Its Management.APA Press, Washington, DC2006
- Chronic Pain: An Integrated Biobehavioral Approach.IASP Press, Seattle, WA2011
- Behavioral Methods for Chronic Pain and Illness.Mosby, Saint Louis1976
- A randomized-controlled trial of using a book of metaphors to reconceptualize pain and decrease catastrophizing in people with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 20-25
- Behavioral Approaches to Medical Treatment.Ballinger, Cambridge1977
- Startle reactivity and anxiety disorders: Aversive conditioning, context, and neurobiology.Biol Psychiatry. 2002; 52: 958-975
- Coping with fibromyalgia. A qualitative study.Scand J Caring Sci. 2000; 14: 29-36
- When touch predicts pain: Classically conditioned hyperalgesia is not dependent on expectation.Scand J Pain. 2016; 11: 11-18
- A phenomenological study of fibromyalgia. Patient perspectives.Scand J Prim Health Care. 1999; 17: 11-16
- Neural circuitry of abdominal pain-related fear learning and reinstatement in irritable bowel syndrome.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015; 27: 114-127
- Fear learning deficits in subjects with fibromyalgia syndrome?.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 1374-1384
- A neural mechanism for nonconscious activation of conditioned placebo and nocebo responses.Cereb Cortex. 2014; 25: 3903-3910
- The role of illness uncertainty on coping with fibromyalgia symptoms.Health Psychol. 2006; 25: 696-703
- Unconditioned and conditioned muscular responses in patients with chronic back pain and chronic tension-type headaches and in healthy controls.Pain. 2010; 150: 66-74
Law M, Stewart D, Pollock N, Letts L, Bosch J, Westmorland M: Critical review form–quantitative studies. McMaster University Occupational Therapy Evidence-Based Practice Research Group. Available at: https://www.unisa.edu.au/Global/Health/Sansom/Documents/iCAHE/CATs/McMasters_Quantitative%20review.pdf. Accessed May 1, 2017
- Short-term effects on outcomes related to the mechanism of intervention and physiological outcomes but insufficient evidence of clinical benefits for breathing control: A systematic review.Aust J Physiother. 2007; 53: 219-227
- A randomized controlled trial of exposure in vivo for patients with spinal pain reporting fear of work-related activities.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 722-730
- Behavioral analysis of chronic pain and its management.Prog Behav Modif. 1984; 18: 1-42
- Classical fear conditioning in the anxiety disorders: A meta-analysis.Behav Res Ther. 2005; 43: 1391-1424
- Can pain or hyperalgesia be a classically conditioned response in humans? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain Med. 2016; 17: 1094-1111
- Do clinicians think that pain can be a classically conditioned response to a non-noxious stimulus?.Man Ther. 2016; 22: 165-173
- Contingency learning deficits and generalization in chronic unilateral hand pain patients.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1046-1056
- Differences in pain-related fear acquisition and generalization: an experimental study comparing patients with fibromyalgia and healthy controls.Pain. 2015; 156: 108-122
- Extinction of fear generalisation: A comparison between fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls.J Pain. 2017; 18: 79-95
- Predictable vs. unpredictable pain: An experimental investigation on the extinction of fear of pain.Eur J Pain Suppl. 2011; 5: 68
- Women, but not men, report increasingly more pain during repeated (un) predictable painful electrocutaneous stimulation: Evidence for mediation by fear of pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 1030-1041
- Preexposure to (un) predictable shock modulates discriminative fear learning between cue and context: An investigation of the interaction between fear and anxiety.Int J Psychophysiol. 2012; 84: 180-187
- The acquisition and generalization of cued and contextual pain-related fear: An experimental study using a voluntary movement paradigm.Pain. 2012; 154: 272-282
- Reduction of fear of movement-related pain and pain-related anxiety: An associative learning approach using a voluntary movement paradigm.Pain. 2012; 153: 1504-1513
- Phobias and preparedness: The selective, automatic, and encapsulated nature of fear.Biol Psychiatry. 2002; 52: 927-932
- Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA statement.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 264-269
- Joining forces–combining cognition-targeted motor control training with group or individual pain physiology education: A successful treatment for chronic low back pain.J Man Manip Ther. 2003; 11: 88-94
- Reconceptualising pain according to its underlying biology.Phys Ther Rev. 2007; 12: 169-178
- Beyond nociception: The imprecision hypothesis of chronic pain.Pain. 2015; 156: 35-38
- De novo conditioning in trauma-exposed individuals with and without posttraumatic stress disorder.J Abnorm Psychol. 2000; 109: 290-298
- Posterior cingulate cortex: Adapting behavior to a changing world.Trends Cogn Sci. 2011; 15: 143-151
- Experiencing and controlling time in everyday life with chronic widespread pain: A qualitative study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008; 9: 3
- Pain biology education and exercise classes compared to pain biology education alone for individuals with chronic low back pain: A pilot randomised controlled trial.Man Ther. 2010; 15: 382-387
- Pavlovian conditioning of muscular responses in chronic pain patients: Central and peripheral correlates.Pain. 2004; 112: 239-247
- Component-specific self-regulation of slow cortical potentials and its effect on behavior: An exploratory study.Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2011; 36: 15-25
- Contextual fear induced by unpredictability in a human fear conditioning preparation is related to the chronic expectation of a threatening US.Biol Psychology. 2008; 77: 39-46
- The treatment of fear of movement/(re)injury in chronic low back pain: Further evidence on the effectiveness of exposure in vivo.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: 251-261
- Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A state of the art.Pain. 2000; 85: 317-332
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic musculoskeletal pain: 12 years on.Pain. 2012; 153: 1144-1147
- Associative fear learning and perceptual discrimination: A perceptual pathway in the development of chronic pain.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 51: 118-125
A.M. is a postdoctoral researcher of the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO-Vlaanderen), Belgium, (grant ID: 12E3714N). G.L.M. is supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council Senior Research Fellowship. This work is supported by National Health and Medical Research Council project grant ID 1047137.
The authors acknowledge that 3 of the included articles were led by coauthor A.M. and that this presents a potential conflict. A.M. was not involved in the search/inclusion process, and was not involved in assessing risk of bias of her own work. The authors have no further conflicts of interest to declare.