- •Persons with opioid dependence underwent pain testing during oxycodone maintenance.
- •Analgesic testing occurred at stabilization and 6 weeks later.
- •Oxycodone produced euphoric effects and miosis without robust analgesia.
- •Differential tolerance is important for treatment of pain and opioid use disorder.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pharmacodynamic effects of oral oxymorphone: Abuse liability, analgesic profile and direct physiologic effects in humans.Addict Biol. 2016; 21: 146-158
- Efficacy of opioids for chronic pain: A review of the evidence.Clin J Pain. 2008; 24: 469-478
- Human pain responsivity in a tonic pain model: Psychological determinants.Pain. 1989; 37: 143-160
- Clinical interpretation of opioid tolerance versus opioid-induced hyperalgesia.J Opioid Manag. 2014; 10: 383-393
- Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain.J Pain. 2009; 10: 113-130
- Hyperalgesia in heroin dependent patients and the effects of opioid substitution therapy.J Pain. 2012; 13: 401-409
- Pain intolerance in opioid-maintained former opiate addicts: Effect of long-acting maintenance agent.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2001; 63: 139-146
- Lack of effect of chronic dextromethorphan on experimental pain tolerance in methadone-maintained patients.Addict Biol. 2008; 13: 393-402
- Hyperalgesic responses in methadone maintenance patients.Pain. 2001; 90: 91-96
- Opioid tolerance development: A pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic perspective.AAPS J. 2008; 10: 537-551
- Predicting the analgesic effect to oxycodone by ‘static’ and ‘dynamic’ quantitative sensory testing in healthy subjects.Pain. 2010; 151: 104-109
- The analgesic effect of tramadol after intravenous injection in healthy volunteers in relation to CYP2D6.Anesth Analg. 2006; 102: 146-150
- Validity of cross-friction algometry procedure in referred muscle pain syndromes: Preliminary results of a new referred pain provocation technique with the aid of a Fischer pressure algometer in patients with nonspecific low back pain.Clin J Pain. 2008; 24: 456-462
- Methods for evaluating addiction liability. (A) “Attitude” of opiate addicts toward opiate-like drugs. (B) A short-term “direct” addiction test.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1961; 133: 371-387
- Opioid dose and drug-related mortality in patients with nonmalignant pain.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 686-691
- Can coadministration of oxycodone and morphine produce analgesic synergy in humans? An experimental cold pain study.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2004; 58: 235-242
- Two new rating scales for opiate withdrawal.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 1987; 13: 293-308
Hoaglin DC, Iglewicz B: Fine-Tuning Some Resistant Rules for Outlier Labeling. J Am Stat Assoc 82:1147-1149, 1987
Hoaglin DC, Iglewicz B, Tukey JW: Performance of Some Resistant Rules for Outlier Labeling. J Am Stat Assoc 81:991-999, 1986
- Drug response profiles to experimental pain are opioid and pain modality specific.J Pain. 2011; 12: 340-351
- Differential sensitivity of three experimental pain models in detecting the analgesic effects of transdermal fentanyl and buprenorphine.Pain. 2006; 126: 165-174
- Reliability of procedures used in the physical examination of non-specific low back pain: A systematic review.Aust J Physiother. 2006; 52: 91-102
- The Fifth Edition of the Addiction Severity Index.J Subst Abuse Treat. 1992; 9: 199-213
- Human experimental pain models for assessing the therapeutic efficacy of analgesic drugs.Pharmacol Rev. 2012; 64: 722-779
- Different effects of morphine and oxycodone in experimentally evoked hyperalgesia: A human translational study.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 70: 189-200
- The hypoalgesic effect of tramadol in relation to CYP2D6.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1996; 60: 636-644
- Genetic polymorphisms and drug interactions modulating CYP2D6 and CYP3A activities have a major effect on oxycodone analgesic efficacy and safety.Br J Pharmacol. 2010; 160: 919-930
- Pharmacological modulation of experimental phasic and tonic muscle pain by morphine, alfentanil and ketamine in healthy volunteers.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2003; 47: 1020-1030
- Experimental human pain models: A review of standardised methods for preclinical testing of analgesics.Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2004; 95: 97-111
- Pressure algometry in manual therapy.Man Ther. 1996; 1: 258-265
- Validity of an electronic pressure algometer.Int J Osteopath Med. 2007; 10: 24-28
This work was supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (R01 DA016718-04; S.L.W.), (T32 DA01676; M.A.C.); and the National Center for Research Resources and the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, National Institutes of Health (UL1TR000117).
P.A.N. has received statistical consultant fees from Braeburn Pharmaceuticals and the Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit, The Johns Hopkins University. M.R.L. has received research funding and consultant fees from Braeburn Pharmaceuticals, consultant fees from Indivior, and honoraria from PCM Scientific for giving educational talks. S.L.W. has served as a consultant to World Meds, Inc, Braeburn Pharmaceuticals, KemPharm, Lightlake Therapeutics, INSYS, Astra Zeneca, Sun Pharma, and Cerecor, Inc, contract research support from Braeburn Pharmaceuticals and Cerecor, Inc, and received speaker and conference chair honoraria from PCM Scientific through an unrestricted educational grant from Indivior. M.A.C. has no conflicts of interest to declare.