- •Economic evaluations of psychological therapies are scant in fibromyalgia (FM).
- •This was a cost-utility report of acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) in FM.
- •ACT was less costly and more effective than recommended drugs in FM.
- •The inclusion of lost productivity costs reduced the cost-utility of ACT in FM.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A meta-analysis of the efficacy of acceptance and commitment therapy for clinically relevant mental and physical health problems.Psychother Psychosom. 2015; 84: 30-36
- A comparison of United Kingdom and Spanish general population time trade-off values for EQ-5D health states.Med Decis Making. 2001; 21: 7-16
- The Spanish version of EuroQol: A description and its applications. European Quality of Life scale [in Spanish].Med Clin (Barc). 1999; 112: 79-85
Base de datos de costes sanitarios SOIKOS Barcelona: Oblikue Consulting. Base de Datos de Costes Sanitarios eSALUD Barcelona; 2014. Available at: http://www.oblikue.com/en/esalud.html. Accessed May 15, 2015
- Pulling cost-effectiveness analysis up by its bootstraps: A non-parametric approach to confidence interval estimation.Health Econ. 1997; 6: 327-340
- A randomized controlled trial of an Internet-based cognitive-behavioural intervention for non-specific chronic pain: An effectiveness and cost-effectiveness study.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 1440-1451
- Interdisciplinary consensus document for the treatment of fibromyalgia.Actas Esp Psiquiatr. 2010; 38: 108-120
- Econometric Analysis.5th ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ2003
- Acceptance and commitment therapy - Do we know enough? Cumulative and sequential meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials.J Affect Disord. 2016; 190: 551-565
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of acceptance and commitment therapy for adults with chronic pain: Outcome domains, design quality, and efficacy.J Contextual Behav Sci. 2014; 3: 217-227
- Comparing the clinical-effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of an internet-delivered acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) intervention with a waiting list control among adults with chronic pain: Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e005092
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change.Guilford Press, New York1999
- Comment on ‘A meta-analysis of the efficacy of acceptance and commitment therapy for clinically relevant mental and physical health problems’.Psychother Psychosom. 2015; 84: 250-251
- Consolidated Health Economic Evaluation Reporting Standards (CHEERS) statement.BMC Med. 2013; 11: 80
- Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of acceptance and commitment therapy and applied relaxation for longstanding pain: A randomized controlled trial.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 1004-1016
- Network meta-analysis and cost-effectiveness analysis of new generation antidepressants.CNS Drugs. 2015; 29: 695-712
- Group cognitive behavioural treatment for low-back pain in primary care: A randomised controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis.Lancet. 2010; 375: 916-923
- Internet-delivered acceptance and values-based exposure treatment for fibromyalgia: A pilot study.Cogn Behav Ther. 2014; 43: 93-104
- Cost-utility of cognitive behavioral therapy versus U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommended drugs and usual care in the treatment of patients with fibromyalgia: An economic evaluation alongside a 6-month randomized controlled trial.Arthritis Res Ther. 2014; 16: 451
- Functional status, quality of life, and costs associated with fibromyalgia subgroups: A latent profile analysis.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 829-840
- Effectiveness of group acceptance and commitment therapy for fibromyalgia: A 6-month randomized controlled trial (EFFIGACT study).Pain. 2014; 155: 693-702
- Cost-utility of a psychoeducational intervention in fibromyalgia patients compared with usual care: an economic evaluation alongside a 12-month randomized controlled trial.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 702-711
- Current and future trends in psychology and chronic pain: Time for a change?.Pain Manag. 2014; 4: 113-121
- The psychological flexibility model: A basis for integration and progress in psychological approaches to chronic pain management.J Pain. 2014; 15: 221-234
- Acceptance and commitment therapy and mindfulness for chronic pain: Model, process, and progress.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 178-187
- The efficacy of acceptance and commitment therapy: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Behav Res Ther. 2014; 61: 105-121
- A systematic review of pharmacoeconomic studies for pregabalin.Pain Pract. 2015; 15: 82-94
- Cost-effectiveness analysis alongside clinical trials II-an ISPOR Good Research Practices Task Force Report.Value Health. 2015; 18: 161-172
- Calculation of quality adjusted life years in the published literature: A review of methodology and transparency.Health Econ. 2004; 13: 1203-1210
- Multiple imputation by chained equations (MICE): Implementation in Stata.J Stat Soft. 2011; 45: 1-20
- Psychological flexibility, acceptance and commitment therapy, and chronic pain.Curr Opin Psychol. 2015; 2: 91-96
- The Mini-International Europsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): The development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59 (quiz: 34-57): 22-33
- Fibromyalgia: Disease synopsis, medication cost effectiveness and economic burden.Pharmacoeconomics. 2014; 32: 457-466
Society of Clinical Psychology. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Chronic Pain. Available at: https://www.div12.org/psychological-treatments/disorders/chronic-or-persistent-pain/acceptance-and-commitment-therapy-for-chronic-pain. Accessed May 3, 2015
- Understanding and using the economic evidence.in: Zaza S. Briss P.A. Harris K.W. The Guide to Community Preventive Services: What works to promote health? Oxford University Press, New York2005: 449-463
- Spanish version of the CSRI: A mental health cost evaluation interview.Arch Neurobiol (Madr). 1997; 60: 171-184
- Acceptance- and mindfulness-based interventions for the treatment of chronic pain: A meta-analytic review.Cogn Behav Ther. 2016; 45: 5-31
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: A Behavioral Therapy Oriented to Values [in Spanish].Pirámide, Madrid2002
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 160-172
- Model and processes of acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) for chronic pain including a closer look at the self.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2016; 20: 12
This project was funded in part by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII) through the Network for Prevention and Health Promotion in Primary Care (RD16/0007/0005 and RD16/0007/0012), by a grant for research projects on health from ISCIII (PI15/00383), and cofinanced with European Union European Regional Development Funds (ERDF). J.V.L. has a “Miguel Servet” research contract from the ISCIII (CP14/00087).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.