- •Transcutaneous occipital nerve stimulation (tONS) was well tolerated and effective.
- •tONS at 100 Hz reduced headache days and headache duration more effectively.
- •tONS was a promising approach for patients who preferred nonpharmacological therapy.
- •This was the first study on the effect of tONS with different frequencies in China.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation device (Cefaly) for migraine prevention.Med Lett Drugs Ther. 2014; 56: 78
- Central mechanisms of peripheral nerve stimulation in headache disorders.Prog Neurol Surg. 2011; 24: 16-26
- Cervicogenic headache: An assessment of the evidence on clinical diagnosis, invasive tests, and treatment.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 959-968
- The influence of ictal cutaneous allodynia on the response to occipital transcutaneous electrical stimulation in chronic migraine and chronic tension-type headache: a randomized, sham-controlled study.Cephalalgia. 2015; 35: 389-398
- Topiramate 100 mg/day in migraine prevention: A pooled analysis of double-blind randomised controlled trials.Int J Clin Pract. 2015; 59: 961-968
- Development of opioid tolerance with repeated transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation administration.Pain. 2003; 102: 195-201
- Topiramate reduces headache days in chronic migraine: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.Cephalalgia. 2007; 27: 814-823
- New therapeutic approaches for the prevention and treatment of migraine.Lancet Neurol. 2015; 14: 1010-1022
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2015; 386: 743-800
- Peripheral neuromodulation: A review.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2014; 18: 412
- Acupuncture and endorphins.Neurosci Lett. 2004; 361: 258-261
- Effect of low- and high-frequency TENS on Met-enkephalin-Arg-Phe and dynorphin A immunoreactivity in human lumbar CSF.Pain. 1991; 47: 295-298
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version).Cephalalgia. 2013; 33: 629-808
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. Continuing Education in Anaesthesia.Critical Care & Pain. 2009; 9: 130-135
- Electrotherapy for neck pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : CD004251
- Topiramate in patients with episodic migraine: Reducing the risk for chronic forms of headache.Headache. 2007; 47: 13-21
- Recent approaches and development of acupuncture on chronic daily headache.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2016; 20: 4
- Neuromodulation in migraine: State of the art and perspectives.Exp Rev Med Devices. 2015; 12: 329-339
- Occipital nerve stimulation for drug-resistant chronic cluster headache: A prospective pilot study.Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6: 314-321
- Safety and patients’ satisfaction of transcutaneous supraorbital neurostimulation (tSNS) with the Cefaly(R) device in headache treatment: A survey of 2,313 headache sufferers in the general population.J Headache Pain. 2013; 14: 95
- The effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation in patients with severe angina pectoris.Circulation. 1985; 71: 308-316
- European Headache Federation: Neuromodulation of chronic headaches: Position statement from the European Headache Federation.J Headache Pain. 2013; 14: 86
- Pain mechanisms: a new theory.Science. 1965; 150: 971-979
- Comparison of neurofeedback and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation efficacy on treatment of primary headaches: A randomized controlled clinical trial.Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014; 16: e17799
- Comparison between efficacy of imipramine and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation in the prophylaxis of chronic tension-type headache: A randomized controlled clinical trial.J Res Med Sci. 2011; 16: 923-927
- Anticonvulsants in migraine prophylaxis: A Cochrane review.Cephalalgia. 2008; 28: 585-597
- Alternative headache treatments: Nutraceuticals, behavioral, and physical treatments.Headache. 2011; 51 (author reply: 1354): 1353
- The effects of peripheral occipital nerve stimulation for the treatment of patients suffering from chronic migraine: A single center experience.Pain Phys. 2014; 17: E369-E374
- Outcome of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation in chronic pain: Short-term results of a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial.J Headache Pain. 2006; 7: 196-205
- Clinical trials update 2014: Year in review.Headache. 2015; 55: 149-157
- Transcutaneous supraorbital neurostimulation in “de novo” patients with migraine without aura: The first Italian experience.J Headache Pain. 2015; 16: 69
- Migraine prevention with a supraorbital transcutaneous stimulator: a randomized controlled trial.Neurology. 2013; 80: 697-704
- Chronic migraine headache prevention with noninvasive vagus nerve stimulation: The EVENT study.Neurology. 2016; 87: 529-538
- Guidelines for controlled trials of prophylactic treatment of chronic migraine in adults.Cephalalgia. 2008; 28 ([erratum in 28:679, 2008]): 484-495
- Occipital nerve stimulator placement via a retromastoid to infraclavicular approach: A technical report.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2010; 88: 121-125
- Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2163-2196
- The prevalence and burden of primary headaches in China: A population-based door-to-door survey.Headache. 2012; 52: 582-591
Trial registration: Chinese Clinical Trial Registry (ChiCTR-ONC-16008130); Registered March 22, 2016.
This work was supported by the National Scientific Research Fund (grant number 81471147).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.