- •Fear learning to a nonpainful visceral sensation was established.
- •Decision-making underlying intensity judgments of visceral sensations was modelled.
- •Fear learning induced a bias in the perceptual decision-making process.
- •Decision-making was biased towards perceiving visceral sensations as more intense.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Aversive learning increases sensory detection sensitivity.Biol Psychol. 2013; 92: 135-141
- Applying mixed regression models to the analysis of repeated-measures data in psychosomatic medicine.Psychosom Med. 2006; 68: 870-878
- Committee report: Guidelines for human startle eyeblink electromyographic studies.Psychophysiology. 2005; 42: 1-15
- The physics of optimal decision making: A formal analysis of models of performance in two-alternative forced-choice tasks.Psychol Rev. 2006; 113: 700-765
- Affective reactions to acoustic stimuli.Psychophysiology. 2000; 37: 204-215
- Eye tracking and pupillometry are indicators of dissociable latent decision processes.J Exp Psychol Gen. 2014; 143: 1476-1488
- Learned fear of gastrointestinal sensations in healthy adults.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14: 1552-1558.e2
- Relationship between severity of symptoms and quality of life in 858 patients with irritable bowel syndrome.Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 2004; 28: 11-15
- The statistical power of abnormal-social psychological research: A review.J Abnorm Soc Psychol. 1962; 65: 145-153
- Psychophysiological analysis (PSPHA): A modular script-based program for analyzing psychophysiological data.Behav Res Methods. 2006; 38: 504-510
- Abdominal pain in irritable bowel syndrome: A review of putative psychological, neural and neuro-immune mechanisms.Brain Behav Immun. 2011; 25: 386-394
- A century of generalization.Anim Behav. 2003; 66: 15-36
- The Electrodermal System.in: Cacioppo J.T. Tassinary L.G. Berntson G. Handbook of Psychophysiology. Cambridge University Press 159-181, Cambridge2007
- The Visceral Sensitivity Index: Development and validation of a gastrointestinal symptom-specific anxiety scale.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 20: 89-97
- The central role of gastrointestinal-specific anxiety in irritable bowel syndrome: Further validation of the visceral sensitivity index.Psychosom Med. 2007; 69: 89-98
- Fear and anxiety: Animal models and human cognitive psychophysiology.J Affect Disord. 2000; 61: 137-159
- Human fear learning: Contemporary procedures and measurement.in: Craske M.G. Hermans D. Vansteenwegenin D. Fear Learning From Basic Process to Clinical Implications. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2006: 39-52
- Bias in the brain: A diffusion model analysis of prior probability and potential payoff.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 2335-2343
- Costs of health care for irritable bowel syndrome, chronic constipation, functional diarrhoea and functional abdominal pain.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 26: 237-248
- Learning to fear suffocation: A new paradigm for interoceptive fear conditioning.Psychophysiology. 2012; 49: 821-828
- Learning to fear obstructed breathing: Comparing interoceptive and exteroceptive cues.Biol Psychol. 2013; 92: 36-42
- Conditioned Reflexes: An Investigation of the Physiological Activity of the Cerebral Cortex.Oxford University Press, Oxford, England1927
- A diffusion model account of response time and accuracy in a brightness discrimination task: Fitting real data and failing to fit fake but plausible data.Psychon Bull Rev. 2002; 9: 278-291
- The diffusion decision model: Theory and data for two-choice decision tasks.Neural Comput. 2008; 20: 873-922
- Estimating parameters of the diffusion model: Approaches to dealing with contaminant reaction times and parameter variability.Psychon Bull Rev. 2002; 9: 438-481
- An approximate distribution of estimates of variance components.Biometrics. 1946; 2: 110-114
- Negative valence widens generalization of learning.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 10460-10464
- Generalization of fear to respiratory sensations.Behav Ther. 2015; 46: 611-626
- Multilevel Analysis: An Introduction to Basic and Advanced Multilevel Modeling.2nd ed. Sage Publishers, London2012
- Postinfectious irritable bowel syndrome.Gastroenterology. 2009; 136: 1979-1988
- Affect 4.0: A free software package for implementing psychological and psychophysiological experiments.Exp Psychol. 2010; 57: 36-45
- Perceptual discrimination in fear generalization: Mechanistic and clinical implications.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 59: 201-207
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders as a public health problem.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2008; 20: 121-129
- Attentional cues affect accuracy and reaction time via different cognitive and neural processes.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 10408-10412
- The role of psychosocial factors and psychiatric disorders in functional dyspepsia.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 10: 158-167
- Hierarchical diffusion models for two-choice response times.Psychol Methods. 2011; 16: 44-62
- Positive and negative mood modulate esophageal pain perception in health.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144: S556
- Analyzing longitudinal data with the linear mixed models procedure in SPSS.Eval Health Prof. 2009; 32: 207-228
- Influence of prior information on pain involves biased perceptual decision-making.Curr Biol. 2014; 24: 679-681
- HDDM: Hierarchical Bayesian estimation of the Drift-Diffusion Model in Python.Front Neuroinform. 2013; 7: 14
- Heat pain thresholds: Normative data and repeatability.Pain. 1995; 60: 329-332
- Interoceptive cues predicting exteroceptive events.Int J Psychophysiol. 2016; 109: 100-106
- Associative fear learning and perceptual discrimination: A perceptual pathway in the development of chronic pain.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 51: 118-125
- Influence of interoceptive fear learning on visceral perception.Psychosom Med. 2016; 78: 248-258
L.V.O. and I.V.D. contributed equally to this work as senior authors.
J.Z. was supported by a Personal Doctoral Mandate grant of the KU Leuven Research Council, the Centre for Excellence of Generalization Research in Ill Health and Psychopathology (PF/10/005, KU Leuven), and the “Asthenes” long-term structural funding (METH/15/011) - Methusalem grant by the Flemish Government. K.W. was supported by a grant of the Medical Research Council, United Kingdom. J.W.S.V. was supported by an Odysseus grant provided by the Research Foundation, Flanders, Belgium. J.W.S.V. and L.V.O. are Research Professors of the KU Leuven Special Research Fund (“Bijzonder Onderzoeksfonds”). N.W. is supported by a research grant funded by the Research Foundation, Flanders, Belgium (G085013N). H.G.L. is supported by a postdoctoral fellowship of the KU Leuven Special Research Fund. V.J.M. was supported by the Oppenheimer Memorial Trust (South Africa) and is now supported by an Innovation Postdoctoral Fellowship from the South African National Research Foundation.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.