- •Postoperative outcomes in Spanish hospitals were obtained using a multidimensional scale.
- •Spanish pain outcomes were similar to those reported in Europe and the United States.
- •Patient's participation in pain management was poor.
- •Presurgical chronic pain (numeric rating scale score >7) was associated with worsened pain outcomes.
- •Adequate control of chronic pain might improve postoperative outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Accuracy in equianalgesic dosing: Conversion dilemmas.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2001; 21: 397-406
- Postoperative Analgesic THerapy Observational Survey (PATHOS): A practice pattern study in 7 central/southern European countries.Pain. 2008; 136: 134-141
- Postoperative pain management: Why is it difficult to show that it improves outcome?.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 1998; 15: 748-751
- Survey of chronic pain in Europe: Prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 287-333
- Pronociceptive effects of remifentanil in a mouse model of postsurgical pain: Effect of a second surgery.Anesthesiology. 2009; 111: 1334-1345
- Delayed postoperative latent pain sensitization revealed by the systemic administration of opioid antagonists in mice.Eur J Pharmacol. 2011; 657: 89-96
- Opioid-induced hyperalgesia in a murine model of postoperative pain: Role of nitric oxide generated from the inducible nitric oxide synthase.Anesthesiology. 2006; 104: 546-555
- Management of postoperative pain: A clinical practice guideline from the American Pain Society, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Committee on Regional Anesthesia, Executive Committee, and Administrative Council [erratum in: 17:508–510, 2016].J Pain. 2016; 17: 131-157
- A power primer.Psychol Bull. 1992; 112: 155-159
- The effect of opioid dose and treatment duration on the perception of a painful standardized clinical stimulus.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008; 33: 199-206
- No evidence of real progress in treatment of acute pain, 1993-2012: Scientometric analysis.J Pain Res. 2014; 7: 199-210
- Drug combinations in pain treatment: A review of the published evidence and a method for finding the optimal combination.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2002; 16: 507-519
- Using the American Pain Society’s patient outcome questionnaire to evaluate the quality of postoperative pain management in a sample of Norwegian patients.J Pain. 2006; 7: 272-280
- Effectiveness of acute postoperative pain management: I. Evidence from published data.Br J Anaesth. 2002; 89: 409-423
- A patient-based national survey on postoperative pain management in France reveals significant achievements and persistent challenges.Pain. 2008; 137: 441-451
- The critical role of observational evidence in comparative effectiveness research.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 1826-1833
- Incidence, patient satisfaction, and perceptions of post-surgical pain: Results from a US national survey.Curr Med Res Opin. 2014; 30: 149-160
- Puig Riera de Conías MM: Comparison of 2 methods of clinical data collection, one using the PAINOUT questionnaire (a European database for the management of postoperative pain).Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2011; 58 ([in Spanish]): 273-278
- Pain intensity on the first day after surgery: A prospective cohort study comparing 179 surgical procedures.Anesthesiology. 2013; 118: 934-944
- Procedure-specific risk factor analysis for the development of severe postoperative pain.Anesthesiology. 2014; 120: 1237-1245
- A 10-year review of quality improvement monitoring in pain management: Recommendations for standardized outcome measures.Pain Manag Nurs. 2002; 3: 116-130
- Revised American Pain Society Patient Outcome Questionnaire (APS-POQ-R) for quality improvement of pain management in hospitalized adults: Preliminary psychometric evaluation.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1172-1186
- Differential opioid tolerance and opioid-induced hyperalgesia: A clinical reality.Anesthesiology. 2016; 124: 483-488
- Engaging health care consumers to improve the quality of care.Med Care. 2003; 41: I61-I70
- Predictors of postoperative pain and analgesic consumption: A qualitative systematic review.Anesthesiology. 2009; 111: 657-677
- Procedure-specific pain management: the road to improve postsurgical pain management?.Anesthesiology. 2013; 118: 780-782
- Preincisional paravertebral block reduces the prevalence of chronic pain after breast surgery.Anesth Analg. 2006; 103: 703-708
- Multimodal approach to control postoperative pathophysiology and rehabilitation.Br J Anaesth. 1997; 78: 606-617
- Updated pain guidelines: What is new?.Anesthesiology. 2012; 117 (author reply: 1398): 1397-1398
- Persistent postsurgical pain: Risk factors and prevention.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1618-1625
- Expert panel guidelines (2008). Postoperative pain management in adults and children. SFAR Committees on Pain and Local Regional Anaesthesia and on Standards.Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2009; 28: 403-409
- Current topical and systemic therapies for itch.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2015; 226: 337-356
- A prospective analysis of pain experience, beliefs and attitudes, and pain management of a cohort of Danish surgical patients.Eur J Pain. 2012; 16: 278-288
- Chronic post-surgical pain: 10 Years on.Br J Anaesth. 2008; 101: 77-86
- The quality of pain management in German hospitals.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2010; 107: 607-614
- Preoperative education for hip or knee replacement.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; : CD003526
- Comparison of opioid requirements and analgesic response in opioid-tolerant versus opioid-naive patients after total knee arthroplasty.Pharmacotherapy. 2008; 28: 1453-1460
- Equianalgesic dose ratios for opioids. A critical review and proposals for long-term dosing.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2001; 22: 672-687
- Assessing the relationship between the level of pain control and patient satisfaction.J Pain Res. 2013; 6: 683-689
- Management of postoperative pain in Spain.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2001; 45: 465-470
- The impact of genetic variation on sensitivity to opioid analgesics in patients with postoperative pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain Physician. 2015; 18: 131-152
- Epidural against systemic analgesia: An international registry analysis on postoperative pain and related perceptions after abdominal surgery.Clin J Pain. 2017; 3: 189-197
- Patients’ perception of postoperative pain management: Validation of the International Pain Outcomes (IPO) questionnaire.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1361-1370
- Epidemiology of anesthesia in Catalonia, Spain, in 2003.Med Clin (Barc). 2006; 126 ([in Spanish]): 13-18
- Acute pain management: Scientific evidence, fourth edition, 2015.Med J Aust. 2016; 204: 315-317
- Correlates of satisfaction with pain treatment in the acute postoperative period: Results from the international PAIN OUT registry.Pain. 2014; 155: 1401-1411
- Mediterranean dietary pattern, inflammation and endothelial function: A systematic review and meta-analysis of intervention trials.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 24: 929-939
- The effects of three different analgesia techniques on long-term postthoracotomy pain.Anesth Analg. 2002; 94: 11-15
- Analgesic management of acute pain in the opioid-tolerant patient.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2015; 28: 398-402
- Feasibility of international data collection and feedback on post-operative pain data: Proof of concept.Eur J Pain. 2012; 16: 430-438
- PAIN OUT: The making of an international acute pain registry.Eur J Pain. 2014; 19: 490-502
Current address for Mauricio Polanco-García, MD, Department of Anesthesiology Hospital Comarcal de l’Alt Penedès, Barcelona, Spain.
This work was funded by the 7th framework program of the European Union. Grant Agreement No. 223590, and the Endowed Chair in Pain Management, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona-Parc de Salut Mar-Menarini (M.M.P.).
W.M. discloses receipt of grants/research support from Pfizer; receipt of honoraria or consultation fees from AcelRx Pharmaceuticals, Menarini, BioQ, Pharma, Grünenthal, Medicines Company, Mundipharma, and participation in a company-sponsored speaker's bureau for Menarini, Grünenthal, Mundipharma, and BioQ, Pharma.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.