- •Opioid-utilizing subjects had decreased in changes in temporal summation after a ketamine infusion.
- •Similar changes were not observed in non-opioid utilizing subjects.
- •Other QST parameters were not different following ketamine infusion when compared to placebo.
- •Subtle changes in altered QST profiles may suggest evidence of opioid-induced hyperalgesia.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Low dose of S+-ketamine prevents long-term potentiation in pain pathways under strong opioid analgesia in the rat spinal cord in vivo.Br J Anaesth. 2005; 95: 518-523
- Neuropathic pain phenotyping as a predictor of treatment response in painful diabetic neuropathy: data from the randomized, double-blind, COMBO-DN study.Pain. 2014; 155: 2171-2179
- Altered quantitative sensory testing outcome in subjects with opioid therapy.Pain. 2009; 143: 65-70
- Clinical interpretation of opioid tolerance versus opioid-induced hyperalgesia.J Opioid Manag. 2014; 10: 383-393
- Analgesic tolerance without demonstrable opioid-induced hyperalgesia: A double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of sustained-release morphine for treatment of chronic nonradicular low-back pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 1583-1592
- Pharmacotherapy for pain: Efficacy and safety issues examined by subgroup analyses.Pain. 2015; 156: S119-S126
- Relief of post-herpetic neuralgia with the N-methyl-D-aspartic acid receptor antagonist ketamine: A double-blind, cross-over comparison with morphine and placebo.Pain. 1994; 58: 347-354
- Central dysesthesia pain after traumatic spinal cord injury is dependent on N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activation.Neurosurgery. 1995; 37: 1080-1087
- Sensory profiles of patients with neuropathic pain based on the neuropathic pain symptoms and signs.Pain. 2014; 155: 367-376
- Molecular interaction in the mouse PAG between NMDA and opioid receptors in morphine-induced acute thermal nociception.J Neurochem. 2008; 105: 91-100
- Ketamine reduces muscle pain, temporal summation, and referred pain in fibromyalgia patients.Pain. 2000; 85: 483-491
- The effect of target-controlled infusion of low-dose ketamine on heat pain and temporal summation threshold.J Anesth. 2011; 25: 516-522
- Concentration-effect relationship of intravenous alfentanil and ketamine on peripheral neurosensory thresholds, allodynia and hyperalgesia of neuropathic pain.Pain. 2001; 91: 177-187
- Ketamine coadministration attenuates morphine tolerance and leads to increased brain concentrations of both drugs in the rat.Br J Pharmacol. 2015; 172: 2799-2813
- Intravenous ketamine infusions for neuropathic pain management: A promising therapy in need of optimization.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 661-674
- Thermal QST phenotypes associated with response to lumbar epidural steroid injections: A pilot study.Pain Med. 2017; 18: 1455-1463
- Quantitative sensory testing in the German Research Network on Neuropathic Pain (DFNS): Somatosensory abnormalities in 1236 patients with different neuropathic pain syndromes.Pain. 2010; 150: 439-450
- Opioid-induced abnormal pain sensitivity: Implications in clinical opioid therapy.Pain. 2002; 100: 213-217
- Spinal cord neuroplasticity following repeated opioid exposure and its relation to pathological pain.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001; 933: 175-184
- Thermal hyperalgesia in association with the development of morphine tolerance in rats: Roles of excitatory amino acid receptors and protein kinase C.J Neurosci. 1994; 14: 2301-2312
- Experimental mononeuropathy reduces the antinociceptive effects of morphine: Implications for common intracellular mechanisms involved in morphine tolerance and neuropathic pain.Pain. 1995; 61: 353-364
- Chronic morphine induces downregulation of spinal glutamate transporters: Implications in morphine tolerance and abnormal pain sensitivity.J Neurosci. 2002; 22: 8312-8323
- NMDA receptor antagonists inhibit opiate antinociceptive tolerance and locomotor sensitization in rats.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2008; 196: 497-509
- Effect of subanesthetic ketamine on intrinsic functional brain connectivity: A placebo-controlled functional magnetic resonance imaging study in healthy male volunteers.Anesthesiology. 2012; 117: 868-877
- The N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist dextromethorphan selectively reduces temporal summation of second pain in man.Pain. 1994; 59: 165-174
- Opioid-induced hyperalgesia: Cellular and molecular mechanisms.Neuroscience. 2016; 338: 160-182
- Neuropathic central pain: Epidemiology, etiology, and treatment options.Arch Neurol. 2001; 58: 1547-1550
- Ketamine produces effective and long-term pain relief in patients with complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Pain. 2009; 145: 304-311
- A negative correlation between hyperalgesia and analgesia in patients with chronic radicular pain: Is hydromorphone therapy a double-edged sword?.Pain Phys. 2013; 16: 65-76
- Increased pain sensitivity in chronic pain subjects on opioid therapy: A cross-sectional study using quantitative sensory testing.Pain Med. 2015; 16: 911-922
- Chronic opioid potentiates presynaptic but impairs postsynaptic N-methyl-D-aspartic acid receptor activity in spinal cords: Implications for opioid hyperalgesia and tolerance.J Biol Chem. 2012; 287: 25073-25085
Funding for this study was provided by National Institute on Drug Abuse/National Institutes of Health grant 5-R01-DA22576.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.