- •Touch that is associated with pain in a predictable pain context induces cued fear.
- •Touch in an unpredictable pain context induces cued as well as contextual fear.
- •Both types of fear of touch can be successfully reduced using extinction protocols.
- •Fear of touch is a debilitating symptom in many chronic pain conditions.
- •Tactile conditioning can be a valuable tool for studying fear of touch.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Neuropathic pain: Diagnosis, pathophysiological mechanisms, and treatment.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 807-819
- A continuous measure of phasic electrodermal activity.J Neurosci Methods. 2010; 190: 80-91
- What is spontaneous pain and who has it?.J Pain. 2012; 13: 921-929
- Committee report: Guidelines for human startle eyeblink electromyographic studies.Psychophysiology. 2005; 42: 1-15
- Development and validation of the Neuropathic Pain Symptom Inventory.Pain. 2004; 108: 248-257
- Human studies of prepulse inhibition of startle: Normal subjects, patient groups, and pharmacological studies.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2001; 156: 234-258
- An update on the pathophysiology of complex regional pain syndrome.Anesthesiology. 2010; 113: 713-725
- Prepulse inhibition and habituation of the startle response are stable neurobiological measures in a normal male population.Biol Psychiatry. 1999; 45: 360-364
- Craske M.G. Hermans D. Vansteenwegen D. Fear and learning: From basic processes to clinical implications. American Psychological Association, Washington2006
- Distribution of signs and symptoms of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome type I in patients meeting the diagnostic criteria of the International Association for the Study of Pain.Eur J Pain. 2011; 15: 830.e1-830.e8
- Psychophysiological Analysis (PSPHA): A modular script-based program for analyzing psychophysiological data.Behav Res Methods. 2006; 38: 504-510
- The incidence of complex regional pain syndrome: A population-based study.Pain. 2007; 129: 12-20
- Fear reduction in patients with chronic pain: A learning theory perspective.Expert Rev Neurother. 2010; 10: 1733-1745
- Expose or protect? A randomized controlled trial of exposure in vivo vs pain-contingent treatment as usual in patients with complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Pain. 2016; 157: 2318-2329
- Alteration in the response properties of primary somatosensory cortex related to differential aversive Pavlovian conditioning.Pain. 2007; 131: 171-180
- The psychological significance of human startle eyeblink modification: A review.Biol Psychol. 1998; 47: 1-43
- fMRI of the responses to vibratory stimulation of digit tips.Neuroimage. 2000; 11: 188-202
- Fear-potentiated startle conditioning in humans: Explicit and contextual cue conditioning following paired versus unpaired training.Psychophysiology. 1997; 34: 451-458
- Validation of proposed diagnostic criteria (the “Budapest Criteria”) for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.Pain. 2010; 150: 268-274
- FMRI mapping of the somatosensory cortex with vibratory stimuli: Is there a dependency on stimulus frequency?.Brain Res. 2001; 897: 188-192
- When touch predicts pain: Predictive tactile cues modulate perceived intensity of painful stimulation independent of expectancy.Scand J Pain Elsevier BV. 2016; 11: 11-18
- Selectivity of conditioned fear of touch is modulated by somatosensory precision.Psychophysiology. 2016; 53: 921-929
- Extinction in human fear conditioning.Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 60: 361-368
- Emotion, motivation, and anxiety: Brain mechanisms and psychophysiology.Biol Psychiatry. 1998; 44: 1248-1263
- Pain by association? Experimental modulation of human pain thresholds using classical conditioning.J Pain. 2016; 17: 1105-1115
- Classical conditioning fails to elicit allodynia in an experimental study with healthy humans.Pain Med. 2016; (pnw221)
- Contingency learning deficits and generalization in chronic unilateral hand pain patients.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1046-1056
- Differences in pain-related fear acquisition and generalization: An experimental study comparing fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls.Pain. 2015; 156: 108-122
- The acquisition of fear of movement-related pain and associative learning: A novel pain-relevant human fear conditioning paradigm.Pain. 2011; 152: 2460-2469
- Reduction of fear of movement-related pain and pain-related anxiety: An associative learning approach using a voluntary movement paradigm.Pain. 2012; 153: 1504-1513
- Extinction-reconsolidation boundaries: Key to persistent attenuation of fear memories.Science. 2009; 324: 951-955
- BIEMS: A fortran 90 program for calculating Bayes factors for inequality and equality constrained models.J Stat Softw. 2012; 46
- Bayesian model selection of informative hypotheses for repeated measurements.J Math Psychol. 2009; 53: 530-546
- Mechanisms of fear extinction.Mol Psychiatry. 2007; 12: 120-150
- Erasing fear memories with extinction training.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 14993-14997
- Assessing fear and anxiety in humans using the threat of predictable and unpredictable aversive events (the NPU-threat test).Nat Protoc. 2012; 7: 527-532
- Responses of contralateral SI and SII in cat to same-site cutaneous flutter versus vibration.J Neurophysiol. 1999; 82: 1982-1992
- Evaluating expectations about negative emotional states of aggressive boys using Bayesian model selection.Dev Psychol. 2011; 47: 203-212
- Criteria of validity in experimental psychopathology: Application to models of anxiety and depression.Psychol Med. 2013; 43: 2241-2244
- Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A state of the art.Pain. 2000; 85: 317-332
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic musculoskeletal pain: 12 years on.Pain. 2012; : 10-13
- Neuropathic pain: Aetiology, symptoms, mechanisms, and management.Lancet. 1999; 353: 1959-1964
Disclosures: This work was supported by the Research Foundation Flanders, Belgium (FWO Vlaanderen; 11T3616N and 12E3717N) and the “Asthenes” long-term structural funding–Methusalem grant by the Flemish Government, Belgium (METH/15/011). The authors report no conflict of interest.