- •Older adults showed reduced offset analgesia compared with younger adults.
- •No sex differences in offset analgesia were evident in any age group.
- •A reduction stimuli as small as .4°C resulted in significant offset analgesia.
- •Reduced offset analgesia was associated with pain in daily life for all age groups.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Normal neuroanatomical variation due to age: The major lobes and a parcellation of the temporal region.Neurobiol Aging. 2005; 26: 1245-1260
- Enhanced pain sensitivity among individuals with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: Potential sex differences in central sensitization.Arthritis Care Res. 2016; 68: 472-480
- Moving forward: Age effects on the cerebellum underlie cognitive and motor declines.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2014; 42: 193-207
- Latency to detection of first pain.Brain Res. 1983; 266: 203-208
- The roles of spatial recruitment and discharge frequency in spinal cord coding of pain: A combined electrophysiological and imaging investigation.Pain. 1983; 53: 295-309
- Offset analgesia is mediated by activation in the region of the periaqueductal grey and rostral ventromedial medulla.Neuroimage. 2009; 47: 1002-1006
- Effects of age on temporal summation and habituation of thermal pain: Clinical relevance in healthy older and younger adults.J Pain. 2001; 2: 307-317
- Pain in the nursing home.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1990; 38: 409-414
- A voxel-based morphometric study of ageing in 465 normal adult human brains.Neuroimage. 2001; 14: 21-36
- Transient analgesia evoked by noxious stimulus offset.J Neurophysiol. 2002; 87: 2205-2208
- Effects of preceding stimulation on brain activation in response to colonic distention in humans.Psychosom Med. 2013; 75: 453-462
- The epidemiology of pain in elderly people.Clin Geriatr Med. 2001; 17: 417-431
- An overview of offset analgesia and the comparison with conditioned pain modulation: A systematic Literature Review.Pain Physician. 2016; 19: 307-326
- Qualitative and quantitative morphology of human sural nerve at different ages.Brain. 1985; 108: 897-924
- Changes in pain perception and descending inhibitory controls start at middle age in healthy adults.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 506-510
- Age effects on pain thresholds, temporal summation and spatial summation of heat and pressure pain.Pain. 2005; 115: 410-418
- Sex differences in musculoskeletal pain in older adults.Pain. 2005; 116: 332-338
- Conditioned pain modulation in populations with chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2012; 13: 936-944
- Distinct brain mechanisms support spatial vs. temporal filtering of nociceptive information.Pain. 2014; 155: 2491-2501
- Offset analgesia is reduced in older adults.Pain. 2013; 154: 2381-2387
- Novel method for assessing age-related differences in the temporal summation of pain.J Pain Res. 2016; 9: 195-205
- Effect of ketamine on endogenous pain modulation in healthy volunteers.Pain. 2011; 152: 656-663
- Offset analgesia in neuropathic pain patients and effect of treatment with morphine and ketamine.Anesthesiology. 2011; 115: 1063-1071
- Tapentadol potentiates descending pain inhibition in chronic pain patients with diabetic polyneuropathy.Br J Anaesth. 2014; 113: 148-156
- The normal sural nerve in man. II. Changes in the axons and Schwann cells due to ageing.Acta Neuropathol. 1969; 13: 217-239
- The fibre size and content of the radial and sural nerves.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1968; 31: 464-470
- The influence of offset analgesia on the onset and offset of pain in patients with fibromyalgia.Pain. 2015; 156: 2521-2527
- Gender differences in pain modulation by diffuse noxious inhibitory controls: A systematic review.Pain. 2010; 150: 309-318
- Longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging studies of older adults: A shrinking brain.J Neurosci. 2013; 23: 3295-3301
- Orofacial pain symptoms: An interaction between age and sex.Pain. 2001; 90: 245-256
- Lack of endogenous modulation and reduced decay of prolonged heat pain in older adults.Pain. 2010; 150: 153-160
- Altered experimental pain perception after cerebellar infarction.Pain. 2014; 155: 1303-1312
- Abnormal endogenous pain modulation is a shared characteristic of many chronic pain conditions.Expert Rev Neurother. 2012; 12: 577-585
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Myelinated mechanically insensitive afferents from monkey hairy skin: Heat-response properties.J Neurophysiol. 1998; 80: 1082-1093
- Evidence for two different heat transduction mechanisms in nociceptive primary afferents innervating monkey skin.J Physiol. 1995; 483: 747-758
- Common chronic pain conditions in developed and developing countries: Gender and age differences and comorbidity with depression-anxiety disorders.J Pain. 2008; 9: 883-891
- Influence of aging on peripheral nerve function and regeneration.J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2000; 5: 191-208
- How to Score Version Two of the SF-36 Health Survey.QualityMetric, Incorporated, Lincoln, RI2000
- Conditioned pain modulation (the diffuse noxious inhibitory control-like effect): Its relevance for acute and chronic pain states.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2010; 23: 611-615
- Prediction of chronic post-operative pain: Pre-operative DNIC testing identifies patients at risk.Pain. 2008; 138: 22-28
- Temporal filtering of nociceptive information by dynamic activation of endogenous pain modulatory systems.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 10264-10271
This research was supported by National Institutes of Health-National Institute on Aging grant R01AG039659. Dr. Fillingim has received consulting fees, speaking fees, and/or honoraria from WebMD and Algynomics (<$10,000 each) and owns stock or stock options in Algynomics. The other authors have no conflicts of interest.