- •Obese patients with pain underwent a calorie-restriction weight loss intervention.
- •The spatial distribution of pain, fatigue, and depressive symptoms improved.
- •Improvement was greatest in those losing 10% or more of their body weight.
- •The anti-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-10 increased after weight loss.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Bariatric surgery or non-surgical weight loss for obstructive sleep apnoea? A systematic review and comparison of meta-analyses.Obes Surg. 2015; 25: 1239-1250
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in a general population sample: The role of sleep apnea, age, obesity, diabetes, and depression.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 4510-4515
- Survey criteria for fibromyalgia independently predict increased postoperative opioid consumption after lower-extremity joint arthroplasty: A prospective, observational cohort study.Anesthesiology. 2013; 119: 1434-1443
- Reduction of macrophage infiltration and chemoattractant gene expression changes in white adipose tissue of morbidly obese subjects after surgery-induced weight loss.Diabetes. 2005; 54: 2277-2286
- Obesity and C-reactive protein in various populations: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 232-244
- Fibromyalgia: A clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1547-1555
- Body weight loss reverts obesity-associated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Endocrinol. 2013; 168: 829-843
- Twenty years of research on cytokine-induced sickness behavior.Brain Behav Immun. 2007; 21: 153-160
- The SPADE symptom cluster in primary care patients with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 388-393
- Obesity, inflammation and the immune system.Proc Nutr Soc. 2012; 71: 332-338
- Depression in association with severe obesity: Changes with weight loss.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 2058-2065
- Association of low interleukin-10 levels with the metabolic syndrome in obese women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 1055-1058
- Alterations of the salience network in obesity: A resting-state fMRI study.Hum Brain Mapp. 2013; 34: 2786-2797
- Treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome with antidepressants: A meta-analysis.JAMA. 2009; 301: 198-209
- Association between pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokine genes and a symptom cluster of pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and depression.Cytokine. 2012; 58: 437-447
- Fibromyalgia survey criteria are associated with increased postoperative opioid consumption in women undergoing hysterectomy.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 1103-1111
- The impact of obesity on health-related quality-of-life in the general adult US population.J Public Health (Bangkok). 2005; 27: 156-164
- Effect of weight loss on some serum cytokines in human obesity: Increase in IL-10 after weight loss.J Nutr Biochem. 2008; 19: 371-375
- Prevalence of persistent pain in the US adult population: New data from the 2010 national health interview survey.J Pain. 2014; 15: 979-984
- Change in pain and physical function following bariatric surgery for severe obesity.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1362-1371
- Candidate gene studies of fibromyalgia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Rheumatol Int. 2012; 32: 417-426
- Both adiponectin and interleukin-10 inhibit LPS-induced activation of the NF-κB pathway in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.Cytokine. 2012; 57: 98-106
- Obesity induces a phenotypic switch in adipose tissue macrophage polarization.J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 175-184
- Effects of intensive diet and exercise on knee joint loads, inflammation, and clinical outcomes among overweight and obese adults with knee osteoarthritis: The IDEA randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1263-1273
- Inflammatory biomarkers and physical function in older, obese adults with knee pain and self-reported osteoarthritis after intensive weight-loss therapy.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 644-651
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011–2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Relationship between fibromyalgia and obesity in pain, function, mood, and sleep.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1329-1337
- Physical activity to reduce systemic inflammation associated with chronic pain and obesity: A narrative review.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 365-370
- Review: Central pain mechanisms in the rheumatic diseases: Future directions.Arthritis Rheum. 2013; 65: 291-302
- Effects of interleukin-10 (IL-10) on pain behavior and gene expression following excitotoxic spinal cord injury in the rat.Exp Neurol. 2001; 168: 144-154
- The impact of a managed care obesity intervention on clinical outcomes and costs: A prospective observational study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 2157-2162
- The Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (IDS): psychometric properties.Psychol Med. 1996; 26: 477-486
- Beneficial effects of improvement in depression, pain catastrophizing, and anxiety on pain outcomes: A 12-month longitudinal analysis.J Pain. 2016; 17: 215-222
- Interleukin-10 down-regulates voltage gated sodium channels in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons.Exp Neurol. 2013; 247: 466-475
- The association between obesity and low back pain: A meta-analysis.Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 171: 135-154
- Patient-perceived satisfactory improvement (PPSI): Interpreting meaningful change in pain from the patient's perspective.Pain. 2006; 121: 151-157
- Fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome-like complaints in the general population.Eur J Public Health. 2009; 20: 251-257
- Sleep apnea and sleep disruption in obese patients.Arch Intern Med. 1994; 154: 1705-1711
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia improves sleep and decreases pain in older adults with co-morbid insomnia and osteoarthritis.J Clin Sleep Med. 2009; 5: 355-362
- Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue.J Clin Invest. 2003; 112: 1796-1808
- Anterior insula integrates information about salience into perceptual decisions about pain.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 16324-16331
- Fibromyalgia prevalence, somatic symptom reporting, and the dimensionality of polysymptomatic distress: Results from a survey of the general population.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013; 65: 777-785
- Fibromyalgia criteria and severity scales for clinical and epidemiological studies: A modification of the ACR Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1113-1122
- Identification of late-onset hypogonadism in middle-aged and elderly men.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 123-135
This project was supported in part by Grant Number P30DK020572 (MDRC) from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Grant Number K12 DE023574 from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare. Dr. Harte has received research funding from Aptinyx, Cerephex, Forest Laboratories, Eli Lily, and Merck, and served as a consultant for Pfizer, Analgesic Solutions, Aptinyx, and deCode Genetics. Dr. Williams is currently the President of the American Pain Society; he has served as a consultant with Pfizer Inc and with Community Health Focus Inc. Dr. Clauw has received research funding from Cerephex, Forest, Merck, and Pfizer, and serves as a consultant for Tonix, Theravance, Cerephex, Pfizer, Abbott, Merck, Eli Lilly, UCB, Johnson & Johnson, Forest Laboratories, and Purdue Pharma.