- •Obese patients with pain underwent a calorie-restriction weight loss intervention.
- •The spatial distribution of pain, fatigue, and depressive symptoms improved.
- •Improvement was greatest in those losing 10% or more of their body weight.
- •The anti-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-10 increased after weight loss.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Bariatric surgery or non-surgical weight loss for obstructive sleep apnoea? A systematic review and comparison of meta-analyses.Obes Surg. 2015; 25: 1239-1250
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in a general population sample: The role of sleep apnea, age, obesity, diabetes, and depression.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 4510-4515
- Survey criteria for fibromyalgia independently predict increased postoperative opioid consumption after lower-extremity joint arthroplasty: A prospective, observational cohort study.Anesthesiology. 2013; 119: 1434-1443
- Reduction of macrophage infiltration and chemoattractant gene expression changes in white adipose tissue of morbidly obese subjects after surgery-induced weight loss.Diabetes. 2005; 54: 2277-2286
- Obesity and C-reactive protein in various populations: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 232-244
- Fibromyalgia: A clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1547-1555
- Body weight loss reverts obesity-associated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Endocrinol. 2013; 168: 829-843
- Twenty years of research on cytokine-induced sickness behavior.Brain Behav Immun. 2007; 21: 153-160
- The SPADE symptom cluster in primary care patients with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 388-393
- Obesity, inflammation and the immune system.Proc Nutr Soc. 2012; 71: 332-338
- Depression in association with severe obesity: Changes with weight loss.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 2058-2065
- Association of low interleukin-10 levels with the metabolic syndrome in obese women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 1055-1058
- Alterations of the salience network in obesity: A resting-state fMRI study.Hum Brain Mapp. 2013; 34: 2786-2797
- Treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome with antidepressants: A meta-analysis.JAMA. 2009; 301: 198-209
- Association between pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokine genes and a symptom cluster of pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and depression.Cytokine. 2012; 58: 437-447
- Fibromyalgia survey criteria are associated with increased postoperative opioid consumption in women undergoing hysterectomy.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 1103-1111
- The impact of obesity on health-related quality-of-life in the general adult US population.J Public Health (Bangkok). 2005; 27: 156-164
- Effect of weight loss on some serum cytokines in human obesity: Increase in IL-10 after weight loss.J Nutr Biochem. 2008; 19: 371-375
- Prevalence of persistent pain in the US adult population: New data from the 2010 national health interview survey.J Pain. 2014; 15: 979-984
- Change in pain and physical function following bariatric surgery for severe obesity.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1362-1371
- Candidate gene studies of fibromyalgia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Rheumatol Int. 2012; 32: 417-426
- Both adiponectin and interleukin-10 inhibit LPS-induced activation of the NF-κB pathway in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.Cytokine. 2012; 57: 98-106
- Obesity induces a phenotypic switch in adipose tissue macrophage polarization.J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 175-184
- Effects of intensive diet and exercise on knee joint loads, inflammation, and clinical outcomes among overweight and obese adults with knee osteoarthritis: The IDEA randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1263-1273
- Inflammatory biomarkers and physical function in older, obese adults with knee pain and self-reported osteoarthritis after intensive weight-loss therapy.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 644-651
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011–2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Relationship between fibromyalgia and obesity in pain, function, mood, and sleep.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1329-1337
- Physical activity to reduce systemic inflammation associated with chronic pain and obesity: A narrative review.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 365-370
- Review: Central pain mechanisms in the rheumatic diseases: Future directions.Arthritis Rheum. 2013; 65: 291-302
- Effects of interleukin-10 (IL-10) on pain behavior and gene expression following excitotoxic spinal cord injury in the rat.Exp Neurol. 2001; 168: 144-154
- The impact of a managed care obesity intervention on clinical outcomes and costs: A prospective observational study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 2157-2162
- The Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (IDS): psychometric properties.Psychol Med. 1996; 26: 477-486
- Beneficial effects of improvement in depression, pain catastrophizing, and anxiety on pain outcomes: A 12-month longitudinal analysis.J Pain. 2016; 17: 215-222
- Interleukin-10 down-regulates voltage gated sodium channels in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons.Exp Neurol. 2013; 247: 466-475
- The association between obesity and low back pain: A meta-analysis.Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 171: 135-154
- Patient-perceived satisfactory improvement (PPSI): Interpreting meaningful change in pain from the patient's perspective.Pain. 2006; 121: 151-157
- Fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome-like complaints in the general population.Eur J Public Health. 2009; 20: 251-257
- Sleep apnea and sleep disruption in obese patients.Arch Intern Med. 1994; 154: 1705-1711
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia improves sleep and decreases pain in older adults with co-morbid insomnia and osteoarthritis.J Clin Sleep Med. 2009; 5: 355-362
- Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue.J Clin Invest. 2003; 112: 1796-1808
- Anterior insula integrates information about salience into perceptual decisions about pain.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 16324-16331
- Fibromyalgia prevalence, somatic symptom reporting, and the dimensionality of polysymptomatic distress: Results from a survey of the general population.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013; 65: 777-785
- Fibromyalgia criteria and severity scales for clinical and epidemiological studies: A modification of the ACR Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1113-1122
- Identification of late-onset hypogonadism in middle-aged and elderly men.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 123-135
This project was supported in part by Grant Number P30DK020572 (MDRC) from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases , Grant Number K12 DE023574 from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research .
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare. Dr. Harte has received research funding from Aptinyx, Cerephex, Forest Laboratories, Eli Lily, and Merck, and served as a consultant for Pfizer, Analgesic Solutions, Aptinyx, and deCode Genetics. Dr. Williams is currently the President of the American Pain Society; he has served as a consultant with Pfizer Inc and with Community Health Focus Inc. Dr. Clauw has received research funding from Cerephex, Forest, Merck, and Pfizer, and serves as a consultant for Tonix, Theravance, Cerephex, Pfizer, Abbott, Merck, Eli Lilly, UCB, Johnson & Johnson, Forest Laboratories, and Purdue Pharma.