- •We tested the effect of the rubber hand illusion on pain caused by electric stimuli.
- •Both real hands were covered and stimulated in a double-blind procedure.
- •Electric stimuli was experienced as more painful on the hand under the illusion.
- •The pain was experienced as located between the real hand and the rubber hand.
- •Uncertainty about the location of pain could increase its intensity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Assessment of pain perception.in: Lautenbacher S. Fillingim R.B. Pathophysiol Pain Percept. Springer US, 2004: 25-42
- Projecting sensations to external objects: Evidence from skin conductance response.Proc R Soc. 2003; 270: 1499-1506
- The rubber hand illusion increases histamine reactivity in the real arm.Curr Biol. 2011; 21: R945-R946
- Validation of a verbally administered numerical rating scale of acute pain for use in the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 2003; 10: 390-392
- Multisensory brain mechanisms of bodily self-consciousness.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2012; 13: 556-571
- Rubber hands “feel” touch that eyes see.Nature. 1998; 391: 756
- Apotemnophilia: A neurological disorder.Neuroreport. 2008; 19: 1305-1306
- Interplay of agency and ownership: The intentional binding and rubber hand illusion paradigm combined.PLoS One. 2014; 9 (e111967)
- Modulation of pain ratings by expectation and uncertainty: Behavioral characteristics and anticipatory neural correlates.Pain. 2008; 135: 240-250
- Confidence in beliefs about pain predicts expectancy effects on pain perception and anticipatory processing in right anterior insula.Pain. 2008; 139: 324-332
- Feeling pain in the rubber hand: Integration of visual, proprioceptive, and painful stimuli.Perception. 2009; 38: 92-99
- Measuring and assessing pain.in: Sharav Y. Benoliel R. Orofac Pain Headache. Elsevier Health Sciences, 2008: 49-55
- Losing one's hand: Visual-proprioceptive conflict affects touch perception.PLoS ONE. 2009; 4 (e6920)
- Evidence for distorted mental representation of the hand in osteoarthritis.Rheumatol Oxf Engl. 2015; 54: 678-682
- Feeling the burn: When it looks like it hurts, and belongs to me, it really does hurt more.Conscious Cogn. 2015; 36: 314-326
- Disowning one's seen real body during an out-of-body illusion.Conscious Cogn. 2012; 21: 1037-1042
- Seeing and identifying with a virtual body decreases pain perception.Eur J Pain Lond Engl. 2011; 15: 874-879
- The rubber hand illusion increases heat pain threshold.Eur J Pain Lond Engl. 2014; 18: 1173-1181
- The measurement of clinical pain intensity: A comparison of six methods.Pain. 1986; 27: 117-126
- Feeling numb: Temperature, but not thermal pain, modulates feeling of body ownership.Neuropsychologia. 2011; 49: 1316-1321
- Visually induced analgesia: Seeing the body reduces pain.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 12125-12130
- What is embodiment? A psychometric approach.Cognition. 2008; 107: 978-998
- Role of distorted body image in pain.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2007; 9: 488-496
- Modulation of pain threshold by virtual body ownership: Virtual body ownership and pain threshold.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 1040-1048
- Phantom limbs and the concept of a neuromatrix.Trends Neurosci. 1990; 13: 88-92
- Classification of chronic pain.in: Seattle: IASP Task Force on Taxonomy. 2nd ed. IASP Press, 1994
- No pain relief with the rubber hand illusion.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7 (e52400)
- Distorted body image in complex regional pain syndrome.Neurology. 2005; 65: 773
- Reconceptualising pain according to modern pain science.Phys Ther Rev. 2007; 12: 169-178
- Psychologically induced cooling of a specific body part caused by the illusory ownership of an artificial counterpart.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2008; 105: 13169-13173
- Visual distortion of a limb modulates the pain and swelling evoked by movement.Curr Biol. 2008; 18: R1047-R1048
- Comparative effect of thermal, mechanical, and electrical noxious stimuli on the electroencephalogram of the rat.Br J Anaesth. 2007; 98: 366-371
- Seeing an embodied virtual hand is analgesic contingent on co-location.J Pain. 2017; 18: 645-655
- Measurement of the pain threshold determined by electrical stimulation and its clinical application.Neurology. 1966; 16: 1071
- Putting pain out of mind with an “out of body” illusion.Eur J Pain. 2017; 21: 334-342
- When right feels left: Referral of touch and ownership between the hands.PLoS ONE. 2009; 4 (e6933)
- Pain and body awareness: Evidence from brain-damaged patients with delusional body ownership.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7
- Neural circuitry underlying pain modulation: Expectation, hypnosis, placebo.Trends Cogn Sci. 2003; 7: 197-200
- Exacerbation of pain by anxiety is associated with activity in a hippocampal network.J Neurosci. 2001; 21: 9896-9903
- Analgesic effects of multisensory illusions in osteoarthritis.Rheumatol Oxf Engl. 2011; 50: 2314-2315
- A psychophysical comparison of sensory and affective responses to four modalities of experimental pain.Somatosens Mot Res. 1992; 9: 265-277
- Defensive activation during the rubber hand illusion: Ownership versus proprioceptive drift.Biol Psychol. 2015; 109: 86-92
- Arousal responses to noxious stimuli in somatoparaphrenia and anosognosia: Clues to body awareness.Brain J Neurol. 2014; 137: 1213-1223
- Size and viewpoint of an embodied virtual body affect the processing of painful stimuli.J Pain. 2016; 17: 350-358
- Illusory self-identification with an avatar reduces arousal responses to painful stimuli.Behav Brain Res. 2014; 261: 275-281
- Body ownership: When feeling and knowing diverge.Conscious Cogn. 2015; 34: 140-148
- Rubber hand illusion reduces discomfort caused by cold stimulus.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9 (e109909)
- My body in the brain: A neurocognitive model of body-ownership.Neuropsychologia. 2010; 48: 703-712
- The rubber hand illusion revisited: Visuotactile integration and self-attribution.J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform. 2005; 31: 80-91
- The role of body awareness in pain: An investigation using the rubber hand illusion.J Conscious Stud. 2011; 18: 110-142
- Conditioned placebo responses.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1985; 48: 47-53
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
The study was funded by grant given to Michał Wierzchoń by the National Science Centre in Poland ( 2012/07/E/HS6/01037 ).