- •Pediatric chronic pain is a costly condition requiring interdisciplinary treatment.
- •An interdisciplinary pain clinic reduced inpatient and emergency department visits.
- •Pain clinic participation resulted in hospital cost savings of $36,228/patient/year.
- •Pain clinic participation resulted in insurance cost savings of $11,482/patient/year.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Analysis of cost data in randomized trials: An application of the non-parametric bootstrap.Stat Med. 2000; 19: 3219-3236
- Multidisciplinary programs for management of acute and chronic pain in children.in: Schechter N.L. Berde C.B. Yaster M. Pain in Infants, Children and Adolescents. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2003: 471-486
- The prognosis of childhood headache: A 20-year follow-up.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 1157-1160
- Chronic pain and psychopathology: Research findings and theoretical considerations.Psychosom Med. 2002; 64: 773-786
- An introduction to the bootstrap.CRC press, Boca Raton, FL1994
- The cost-effectiveness of intensive interdisciplinary pediatric chronic pain rehabilitation.J Pediatr Psychol. 2016; 41: 849-856
- The economic costs of pain in the United States.J Pain. 2012; 13: 715-724
- Evidence-based scientific data documenting the treatment and cost-effectiveness of comprehensive pain programs for chronic nonmalignant pain.J Pain. 2006; 7: 779-793
- Psychosocial care in the pediatric hospital: The need for scientific validation of clinical and cost effectiveness.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 1995; 17: 228-234
- The biopsychosocialspiritual impact of chronic pain, chronic illness, and physical disabilities in adolescence.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2015; 19: 51
- Pain, fatigue and health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2009; 25: 407-412
- The economic costs of chronic pain among a cohort of treatment-seeking adolescents in the United States.J Pain. 2014; 15: 925-933
- Systematic review on intensive interdisciplinary pain treatment of children with chronic pain.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 115-127
- Inpatient-based intensive interdisciplinary pain treatment for highly impaired children with severe chronic pain: Randomized controlled trial of efficacy and economic effects.Pain. 2014; 155: 118-128
- Are complementary therapies and integrative care cost-effective? A systematic review of economic evaluations.BMJ Open. 2012; 2: e001046
- Healthcare utilization and indirect burden among families of pediatric patients with chronic pain.J Musculoskelet Pain. 2008; 16: 155-164
- Treatment of children with unexplained chronic pain.Lancet. 2006; 367: 380
- The epidemiology of chronic pain in children and adolescents revisited: A systematic review.Pain. 2011; 152: 2729-2738
- Psychiatric morbidity in children with medically unexplained chronic pain: Diagnosis from the pediatrician's perspective.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 889-897
- Problems and barriers of pain management in the emergency department: Are we ever going to get better.J Pain Res. 2008; 2: 5-11
- Assessment and management of children with chronic pain: A position statement from the American Pain Society.American Pain Society, Chicago, IL2013
- Impact of recurrent and chronic pain on child and family daily functioning: A critical review of the literature.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2000; 21: 58-69
- Pain in children and adolescents: A common experience.Pain. 2000; 87: 51-58
- Insights in the use of health care services in chronic benign pain in childhood and adolescence.Pain. 2001; 94: 205-213
- The frequency, trajectories and predictors of adolescent recurrent pain: A population-based approach.Pain. 2008; 138: 11-21
- Complex chronic pain in children, interdisciplinary treatment.in: Schmidt R.F. Willis W.D. Encyclopedic Reference of Pain. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg2006
- Functional abdominal pain in childhood and adolescence increases risk for chronic pain in adulthood.Pain. 2010; 150: 568-572
- Integrative care for pediatric patients with pain.J Altern Complement Med. 2013; 19: 627-632
Dr. Herman received reimbursement for consultation time.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.