- •We developed a tractable rat model of provoked vestibulodynia.
- •The model recapitulates many features of human vestibulodynia.
- •A prominent local inflammatory renin-angiotensin system is present.
- •Blocking angiotensin II receptor type 2 prevents hypersensitivity.
- •Targeting the renin-angiotensin system may yield effective therapies.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Is vasculo-neural ingrowth the cause of pain in chronic Achilles tendinosis? An investigation using ultrasonography and colour Doppler, immunohistochemistry, and diagnostic injections.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2003; 11: 334-338
- Angiotensin II type 2 receptor (AT(2) R) localization and antagonist-mediated inhibition of capsaicin responses and neurite outgrowth in human and rat sensory neurons.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 1012-1026
- Mechanisms underlying clinical efficacy of angiotensin II type 2 receptor (AT2R) antagonist EMA401 in neuropathic pain: Clinical tissue and in vitro studies.Mol Pain. 2015; 11: 38
- Neuronal cytoskeletal gene dysregulation and mechanical hypersensitivity in a rat model of Rett syndrome.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017; 114: E6952-E6961
- Bone morphogenetic protein 4 mediates estrogen-regulated sensory axon plasticity in the adult female reproductive tract.J Neurosci. 2013; 16: 1704-1712
- Estrogen increases sensory nociceptor neuritogenesis in vitro by a direct, nerve growth factor-independent mechanism.Eur J Neurosci. 2005; 21: 2320-2328
- Increased intraepithelial innervation in women with vulvar vestibulitis syndrome.Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1998; 46: 256
- Surgery for localized, provoked vestibulodynia: A long-term follow-up study.J Reprod Med. 2008; 53: 83-89
- Hyperinnervation and mast cell activation may be used as histopathologic diagnostic criteria for vulvar vestibulitis.Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2004; 58: 171-178
- Characterization of a rat model of incisional pain.Pain. 1996; 64: 493-501
- Distinct subsets of unmyelinated primary sensory fibers mediate behavioral responses to noxious thermal and mechanical stimuli.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 9075-9080
- Histopathologic features of vulvar vestibulitis.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 1998; 17: 7-11
- Vulvar vestibulitis subjects undergoing surgical intervention: A descriptive analysis and histopathological correlates.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1996; 68: 165-168
- Estrogen elicits dorsal root ganglion axon sprouting via a renin-angiotensin system.Endocrinology. 2008; 149: 3452-3460
- Angiotensin II receptor type 2 activation is required for cutaneous sensory hyperinnervation and hypersensitivity in a rat hind paw model of inflammatory pain.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1053-1065
- Hypersensitivity and hyperinnervation of the rat hind paw following carrageenan-induced inflammation.Neurosci Lett. 2011; 495: 67-71
- Modulation of pain by estrogens.Pain. 2007; 132: S3-S12
- Identification of renin in resident alveolar macrophages and monocytes: HPLC and immunohistochemical study.J Cell Sci. 1988; 91: 155-159
- Angiotensin AT2 receptor stimulation is anti-inflammatory in lipopolysaccharide-activated THP-1 macrophages via increased interleukin-10 production.Hypertens Res. 2015; 38: 21-29
- A diverse family of GPCRs expressed in specific subsets of nociceptive sensory neurons.Cell. 2001; 106: 619-632
- Is localized, provoked vulvodynia an inflammatory condition?.J Reprod Med. 2007; 52: 379-384
- Repeated vulvovaginal fungal infections cause persistent pain in a mouse model of vulvodynia.Sci Transl Med. 2011; 3: 101ra191
- Vulvar vestibulitis syndrome.J Reprod Med. 1987; 32: 110-114
- Intervertebral disc, sensory nerves and neurotrophins: Who is who in discogenic pain?.J Anat. 2010; 217: 1-15
- Angiotensin metabolites can stimulate receptors of the Mas-related genes family.Mol Cell Biochem. 2008; 319: 115-123
- Surgery combined with muscle therapy for dyspareunia from vulvar vestibulitis: An observational study.J Reprod Med. 2007; 52: 597-603
- Histologic and receptor analysis of primary and secondary vestibulodynia and controls: A prospective study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: e611-e618
- Commercially available angiotensin II At(2) receptor antibodies are nonspecific.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e69234
- Changes in cutaneous innervation in patients with chronic pain after burns.Burns. 2011; 37: 631-637
- A population-based assessment of chronic unexplained vulvar pain: Have we underestimated the prevalence of vulvodynia?.J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2003; 58: 82-88
- Angiotensin II AT2 receptors regulate NGF-mediated neurite outgrowth via the NO-cGMP pathway.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016; 478: 970-975
- Regulation of T-cell function by endogenously produced angiotensin II.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009; 296: R208-R216
- Pathological sprouting of adult nociceptors in chronic prostate cancer-induced bone pain.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 14649-14656
- Immunohistochemical study of cathepsin G and medullasin in inflamed gingival tissues from periodontal patients.J Periodontal Res. 1997; 32: 264-270
- Repeated hapten exposure induces persistent tactile sensitivity in mice modeling localized provoked vulvodynia.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0169672
- CD4-positive T-cell recruitment in primary-provoked localized vulvodynia: Potential insights into disease triggers.J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2014; 18: 195-201
- A local inflammatory renin-angiotensin system drives sensory axon sprouting in provoked vestibulodynia.J Pain. 2017; 18: 511-525
- Persistent genital hyperinnervation following progesterone administration to adolescent female rats.Biol Reprod. 2014; 91: 144
- Biopsychosocial profile of women with dyspareunia.Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 90: 583-589
- Animal models of pain: Progress and challenges.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10: 283-294
- Analgesic efficacy and mode of action of a selective small molecule angiotensin II type 2 receptor antagonist in a rat model of prostate cancer-induced bone pain.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 93-110
- Vestibular mast cell density in vulvodynia: A case-controlled study.J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2016; 20: 275-279
- Intraneuronal angiotensinergic system in rat and human dorsal root ganglia.Regul Pept. 2010; 162: 90-98
- Sensory hyperinnervation distinguishes bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis from overactive bladder syndrome.J Urol. 2017; 197: 159-166
- Targeting cardiac mast cells: Pharmacological modulation of the local renin-angiotensin system.Curr Pharm Des. 2011; 17: 3744-3752
- Renin: At the heart of the mast cell.Immunol Rev. 2007; 217: 123-140
- Rapid conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II by neutrophil and mast cell proteinases.J Biol Chem. 1982; 257: 8619-8622
- EMA401, an orally administered highly selective angiotensin II type 2 receptor antagonist, as a novel treatment for postherpetic neuralgia: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 clinical trial.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1637-1647
- A meta-analytic review of pain perception across the menstrual cycle.Pain. 1999; 81: 225-235
- The angiotensin AT2 receptor in inflammation.Drug News Perspect. 2010; 23: 104-111
- Immunohistochemical localization of chymase; a mast cell marker and clinical significance in diseased human skeletal muscle.Rinsho Shinkeigaku. 1997; 37: 615-620
- Identification of a G protein-coupled receptor specifically responsive to beta-alanine.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 23559-23564
- Small molecule angiotensin II type 2 receptor (AT R) antagonists as novel analgesics for neuropathic pain: Comparative pharmacokinetics, radioligand binding, and efficacy in rats.Pain Med. 2013; 14: 692-705
- Cardiac angiotensin converting enzyme and myocardial fibrosis in the rat.Cardiovasc Res. 1994; 28: 1423-1432
- Impaired pressure sensation in mice lacking TRPV4.J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 22664-22668
- G-protein-coupled receptor MrgD is a receptor for angiotensin-(1–7) involving adenylyl cyclase, cAMP, and phosphokinase A.Hypertension. 2016; 68: 185-194
- Activation of vestibule-associated lymphoid tissue in localized provoked vulvodynia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: e471-e478
- Increased innervation of the vulval vestibule in patients with vulvodynia.Br J Dermatol. 2003; 148: 1021-1027
- Angiotensin type 2 receptor (AT2R) and receptor Mas: A complex liaison.Clin Sci. 2015; 128: 227-234
- Hyperinnervation in intestinal deep infiltrating endometriosis.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009; 16: 713-719
- Vulvodynia: Current state of the biological science.Pain. 2014; 155: 1696-1701
- Vestibular nerve fiber proliferation in vulvar vestibulitis syndrome.Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 91: 572-576
- Macrophage and myofibroblast proliferation in remnant kidney: Role of angiotensin II.Kidney Int Suppl. 1997; 63: S221-S225
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health R01HD049615 (P.G.S.), with core facility support by U54 HD 090216 and P30 HD002528.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.