- •Threat of pain automatically biases attention to the pain-related location.
- •Movements accompanying pain steer attention toward somatosensory input.
- •Enhanced N120 somatosensory evoked potential may reflect attentional bias to pain.
- •Location-unspecific P200 somatosensory evoked potential as a reflection of arousal.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The relationship between human long-latency somatosensory evoked potentials recorded from the cortical surface and from the scalp.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1992; 84: 301-314
- Proprioceptive event related potentials: Gating and task effects.Clin Neurophysiol. 2005; 116: 849-860
- Adaptation in human somatosensory cortex as a model of sensory memory construction: A study using high-density EEG.Brain Struct Funct. 2016; 221: 421-431
- Rapid enhancement of touch from non-informative vision of the hand.Neuropsychologia. 2012; 50: 1954-1960
- Electrophysiological indices of orienting attention towards pain.Psychophysiology. 2004; 41: 749-761
- Neural mechanisms of detecting and orienting attention towards unattended threatening somatosensory targets. I. Modality effects.Psychophysiology. 2007; 44: 407-419
- Neural mechanisms of detecting and orienting attention toward unattended threatening somatosensory targets. II. Intensity effects.Psychophysiology. 2007; 44: 420-430
- The role of somatic threat feature detectors in the attentional bias toward pain: Effects of spatial attention.Psychophysiology. 2010; 48: 397-409
- Trying to fix a painful problem: The impact of pain control attempts on the attentional prioritization of a threatened body location.J Pain. 2015; 16: 135-143
- Pain demands attention: A cognitive-affective model of the interruptive function of pain.Psychol Bull. 1999; 125: 1133-1159
- Modulations of early somatosensory ERP components by transient and sustained spatial attention.Exp Brain Res. 2003; 151: 24-31
- The interaction of pathways to fear in childhood anxiety: A preliminary study.Behav Res Ther. 2007; 45: 3051-3059
- Using temporal order judgments to investigate attention bias toward pain and threat-related information. Methodological and theoretical issues.Conscious Cogn. 2016; 41: 135-138
- Enhancing non-noxious perception: behavioural and neurophysiological correlates of a placebo-like manipulation.Neuroscience. 2012; 16: 96-104
- ERP investigation of transient attentional selection of single and multiple locations within touch.Psychophysiology. 2011; 48: 788-796
- Somatosensory spatial attention modulates amplitudes, latencies, and latency jitter of laser-evoked brain potentials.J Neurophysiol. 2015; 113: 2760-2768
- Mapping study of somatosensory evoked potentials during selective spatial attention.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1991; 8: 201-214
- Somatosensory responses during selective spatial attention: N120-N140 transition.Psychophysiology. 1995; 32: 526-537
- The effect of changing stimulus intensities on median nerve somatosensory-evoked potentials.Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2000; 40: 477-482
- Links between eye movement preparation and the attentional processing of tactile events: An event-related brain potential study.Clin Neurophysiol. 2008; 119: 2587-2597
- A new method for off-line removal of ocular artifact.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1983; 55: 468-484
- Juggling reveals a decisional component to tactile suppression.Exp Brain Res. 2011; 213: 87-97
- Active attention modulates passive attention-related neural responses to a sudden somatosensory input against a silent background.Exp Brain Res. 2006; 175: 609-617
- The fear-avoidance model of musculoskeletal pain: Current state of scientific evidence.J Behav Med. 2006; 30: 77-94
- Cognitive aspects of nociception and pain. Bridging neurophysiology with cognitive psychology.Clin Neurophysiol. 2012; 42: 325-336
- An Introduction to the Event-Related Potential Technique.2nd ed. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA2014
- How to get statistically significant effects in any ERP experiment (and why you shouldn't).Psychophysiology. 2017; 54: 146-157
- ‘Attention’ to pain in persons with chronic pain: A behavioural approach.Behav Ther. 1997; 28: 271-284
- The acquisition of fear of movement-related pain and associative learning: A novel pain-relevant fear-conditioning paradigm.Pain. 2011; 152: 2460-2469
- The acquisition and generalization of cued and contextual pain-related fear: An experimental study using a voluntary movement paradigm.Pain. 2013; 154: 272-282
- Do CS-US pairings actually matter? A within-subject comparison of instructed fear conditioning with and without actual CS-US pairings.PLoS One. 2014; 9 (e84888)
- Dutch version of the pain vigilance and awareness questionnaire: Validity and reliability in a pain-free population.Behav Res Ther. 2002; 40: 1081-1091
- An ERP investigation on visuotactile interactions in peripersonal and extrapersonal space: Evidence for the spatial rule.J Cognitive Neurosci. 2009; 21: 1550-11559
- Tscope: A C library for programming cognitive experiments on the MS windows platform.Behav Res Methods. 2006; 38: 280-286
- Keeping pain in mind: A motivational account of attention to pain.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010; 34: 204-213
- Attentional bias to pain-relevant body locations: New methods, new challenges.Conscious Cogn. 2016; 43: 128-132
- Detection of tactile change detection on a bodily location where pain is expected.Percept Mot Skills. 2015; 120: 219-231
- Attention modulates sensory suppression during back movements.Conscious Cogn. 2013; 22: 420-429
- Is attentional prioritization on a location where pain is expected modality-specific or multisensory?.Conscious Cogn. 2015; 36: 246-255
- Are the spatial features of bodily threat limited to the exact location where pain is expected?.Acta Psychol. 2014; 153: 113-119
- The anticipation of pain at a specific location of the body prioritizes tactile stimuli at that location.Pain. 2013; 154: 1464-1468
- Fear of movement/(re)injury in chronic low back pain and its relation to behavioral performance.Pain. 1995; 62: 363-372
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic musculoskeletal pain: 12 years on.Pain. 2012; 153: 1144-1147
- The influence of semantic priming on event-related potentials to painful laser-heat stimuli in migraine patients.Neurosci Lett. 2003; 340: 135-138
- Attentional modulation of the human somatosensory evoked potential in a trial-by-trial spatial cueing and sustained spatial attention task measured with high density 128 channels EEG.Brain Res Cogn Brain Res. 2004; 20: 491-509
This study was funded by an interdisciplinary BOF 14/IOP/067 grant from Ghent University awarded to S.V.D. and L.D. D.M.T. was supported by the Asthenes long-term structural funding Methusalem grant by the Flemish-Government, Belgium and by the Fund for Scientific Research of the French speaking community of Belgium.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.