- •Dimensionality and reliability of the Central Sensitization Inventory (CSI) was investigated.
- •After examining 1-factor and 4-factor solutions, a bifactor model was determined to be the best fit.
- •The general “CS-related symptoms“ factor was highly reliable.
- •The 4 specific CSI factors did not show enough reliability to be used as subscales.
- •It is recommended that only total CSI scores be used and reported.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Psychosocial factors and central sensitivity syndromes.Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2015; 11: 96-108
- The association between clinical characteristics of migraine and brain GABA levels: An exploratory study.J Pain. 2016; 17: 1058-1067
- Weighted least squares estimation with missing data (Technical Report).(Available at:)Accessed January 12, 2018)
- A note on the multiplying factors for various chi-square approximations.J R Stat Soc Series B. 1954; 16: 196-298
- Central sensitization inventory as a predictor of worse quality of life measures and increased length of stay following spinal fusion.World Neurosurg. 2017; 104: 594-600
- Central sensitization in chronic low back pain: A narrative review.Natl J Integr Res Med. 2016; 7: 114-123
- Content validity and test-retest reliability of the Gujarati version of the central sensitization inventory.Natl J Integr Res Med. 2016; 7: 18-24
- Three concerns with applying a bifactor model as a structure of psychopathology.Clin Psychol Sci. 2017; 5: 184-186
- A tutorial on hierarchically structured constructs.J Pers. 2012; 80: 796-846
- Reliability and Validity Assessment.Sage, Beverly Hills, CA1979
- The central sensitization inventory validated and adapted for a Brazilian population: Psychometric properties and its relationship with brain-derived neurotrophic factor.J Pain Res. 2017; 10: 2109-2122
- Pain sensitivity questionnaire differentiates individuals with shoulder pain who demonstrate widespread sensitivity with quantitative sensory testing.J Pain. 2014; 15: S21
- Discriminating between neuropathic pain and sensory hypersensitivity using the Chronic Pain Questions (CPQ).Postgrad Med. 2017; 129: 22-31
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validity of the Spanish central sensitization inventory.Springerplus. 2016; 5: 1837
- Classical test theory.Med Care. 2006; 44: S50-S59
- An empirical evaluation of alternative methods of estimation for confirmatory factor analysis with ordinal data.Psychol Methods. 2004; 9: 466-491
- Multi-factor modeling in individual differences research: Some recommendations and suggestions.Pers Individ Dif. 2007; 42: 37-48
- The temporal stability of the bifactor model of comorbidity: An examination of moderated continuity pathways.Compr Psychiatry. 2017; 72: 74-82
- An index of factorial simplicity.Psychometrika. 1974; 39: 31-36
- Influence of centrally mediated symptoms on postoperative pain in osteoarthritis patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty: A prospective observational evaluation.Pain Pract. 2015; 15: E46-E53
- Risk factors predicting the development of widespread pain from chronic back or neck pain.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1320-1328
Knezevic A., Neblett R., Jeremic-Knezevic M., Tomasevic-Todorovic S., Boskovic K., Colovic P., Cuesta-Vargas A.: Cross cultural adaptation and psychometric validation of the Serbian version of the central sensitization inventory (CSI). Pain Pract 2017 Aug 4; [Epub ahead of print].
- The Dutch Central Sensitization Inventory (CSI): Factor analysis, discriminative power, and test-retest reliability.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 624-630
- Expanded distribution of pain as a sign of central sensitization in individuals with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.Phys Ther. 2016; 96: 1196-1207
- Bifactor analysis and construct validity of the HADS: A cross-sectional and longitudinal study in fibromyalgia patients.Psychol Assess. 2014; 26: 395-406
- The development and psychometric validation of the central sensitization inventory.Pain Pract. 2012; 12: 276-285
- The Central Sensitization Inventory (CSI): Establishing clinically significant values for identifying central sensitivity syndromes in an outpatient chronic pain sample.J Pain. 2013; 14: 438-445
- Establishing clinically relevant severity levels for the central sensitization inventory.Pain Pract. 2017; 17: 166-175
- Is the central sensitization inventory (CSI) a useful outcome measure for chronic spinal pain disorder patients in a functional restoration program?.Spine J. 2017; 17: 1819-1829
- Low back pain: Guidelines for the clinical classification of predominant neuropathic, nociceptive, or central sensitization pain.Pain Physician. 2015; 18: E333-E346
- Treatment of central sensitization in patients with ‘unexplained’ chronic pain: An update.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2014; 15: 1671-1683
- Applying modern pain neuroscience in clinical practice: Criteria for the classification of central sensitization pain.Pain Physician. 2014; 17: 447-457
- Cross cultural adaptation, reliability and validity of the French version of the central sensitization inventory.Man Ther. 2016; 25: e83-e84
- Psychometric evaluation and calibration of health-related quality of life item banks: Plans for the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS).Med Care. 2007; 45: S22-S31
- Scoring and modeling psychological measures in the presence of multidimensionality.J Pers Assess. 2013; 95: 129-140
- Does central sensitization help explain idiopathic overactive bladder?.Nat Rev Urol. 2016; 13: 481-491
- Applying bifactor statistical indices in the evaluation of psychological measures.J Pers Assess. 2016; 98: 223-237
- Evaluating bifactor models: Calculating and interpreting statistical indices.Psychol Methods. 2016; 21: 137-150
- Central sensitization in chronic low back pain: A narrative review.J Back Musculoskeletal Rehabil. 2016; 29: 625-633
Scerbo T., Colasurdo J., Dunn S., Unger J., Nijs J., Cook C.: Measurement properties of the central sensitization inventory: A systematic review. Pain Pract 2017 Aug 29; [Epub ahead of print].
- Evaluating the fit of structural equation models: Tests of significance and descriptive goodness-of-fit measures.Methods Psychol Res Online. 2003; 8: 23-74
- A Beginner's Guide to Structural Equation Modeling.3rd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah2010
- Reliability.in: Cooper H. APA Handbook of Research Methods in Psychology: Foundations, Planning, Measures, and Psychometrics. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2012: 643-660
- Starting at the beginning: An introduction to coefficient alpha and internal consistency.J Pers Assess. 2003; 80: 99-103
- Using Multivariate Statistics.5th ed. Pearson Education, Boston2007
- The value of item response theory in clinical assessment: A review.Assessment. 2011; 18: 291-307
van Wilgen C., Vuijk P., Kregel J., Voogt L., Meeus M., Descheemaker F., Keizer D., Nijs J.: Psychological distress and widespread pain contribute to the variance of the central sensitization inventory: A cross-sectional study in patients with chronic pain. Pain Pract 2017 Apr 27; [Epub ahead of print].
- Evidence for central sensitization in chronic whiplash: A systematic literature review.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 299-312
- Structural equation models with non-normal variables: Problems and remedies.in: Hoyle R.H. Structural Equation Modeling: Concepts, Issues and Applications. Sage, Newbury Park, CA1995: 56-75
- Clarifying the latent structure and correlates of somatic symptom distress: A bifactor model approach.Psychol Assess. 2016; 28: 109-115
- Central sensitization: Implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-S15
- Positive and negative relationship between anxiety and depression of patients in pain: A bifactor model analysis.PLoS One. 2012; 7 (e47577)
- Fibromyalgia and overlapping disorders: The unifying concept of central sensitivity syndromes.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 36: 339-356
- Editorial review: An update on central sensitivity syndromes and the issues of nosology and psychobiology.Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2015; 11: 70-85
- Cronbach's α, Revelle's β, and Mcdonald's ω H : Their relations with each other and two alternative conceptualizations of reliability.Psychometrika. 2005; 70: 123-133
- Central sensitivity syndromes: mounting pathophysiologic evidence to link fibromyalgia with other common chronic pain disorders.Pain Management Nursing. 2011; 12: 15-24
This project was funded in part by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III through the Network for Prevention and Health Promotion in Primary Care (RD16/0007/0012). J.V.L. has a “Miguel Servet” research contract from the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (CP14/00087).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.