- •Slower response times during digit discrimination in complex regional pain syndrome patients.
- •Response times correlated with late-latency tactile processing in supplementary motor area.
- •This P300-like activity was paradoxically related to better limb functioning.
- •Responses in parietal lobe were decreased in complex regional pain syndrome regardless of task demands.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Interoceptive predictions in the brain.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2015; 16: 419-429
- An information-maximization approach to blind separation and blind deconvolution.Neural Comput. 1995; 7: 1129-1159
- The lower extremity functional scale (LEFS): Scale development, measurement properties, and clinical application.Phys Ther. 1999; 79: 371-383
- The precuneus: A review of its functional anatomy and behavioural correlates.Brain. 2006; 129: 564-583
- Dissociable endogenous and exogenous attention in disorders of consciousness.NeuroImage Clin. 2013; 3: 450-461
- Expectation and attention in hierarchical auditory prediction.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 11194-11205
- Pain assessment: Global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1994; 23: 129-138
- P3a, perceptual distinctiveness, and stimulus modality.Brain Res Cogn Brain Res. 1998; 7: 41-48
- EEGLAB: An open source toolbox for analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component analysis.J Neurosci Methods. 2004; 134: 9-21
- The auditory event related potentials in episodic and chronic pain sufferers.Eur J Pain. 2002; 6: 239-244
- Primary somatosensory cortex function in complex regional pain syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1001-1018
- Interhemispheric somatosensory differences in chronic pain reflect abnormality of the Healthy side.Hum Brain Mapp. 2015; 36: 508-518
- Event-related potentials in clinical research: Guidelines for eliciting, recording, and quantifying mismatch negativity, P300, and N400.Clin Neurophysiol. 2009; 120: 1883-1908
- Impaired self-perception of the hand in complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS).Pain. 2004; 110: 756-761
- Neglect-like symptoms in CRPS. Results of a self-administered survey.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1999; 18: 213-217
- Proposed new diagnostic criteria for complex regional pain syndrome.Pain Med. 2007; 8: 326-331
- Temporal evolution of a decision-making process in medial premotor cortex.Neuron. 2002; 33: 959-972
- Roles of default-mode network and supplementary motor area in human vigilance performance: Evidence from real-time fMRI.J Neurophysiol. 2013; 109: 1250-1258
- IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 21.0.IBM Corp, Armonk, NY2012
- P300-amplitudes in upper limb amputees with and without phantom limb pain in a visual oddball paradigm.Pain. 2004; 110: 40-48
- Role of the precuneus in the detection of incongruency between tactile and visual texture information: A functional MRI study.Neuropsychologia. 2014; 64: 252-262
- Neurocognitive and neuroplastic mechanisms of novel clinical signs in CRPS.Front Hum Neurosci. 2016; 10: 16
- Novel signs and their clinical utility in diagnosing complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)—a prospective observational cohort study.Clin J Pain. 2016; 1
- Electromagnetic source reconstruction for group studies.Neuroimage. 2008; 42: 1490-1498
- EEG and MEG data analysis in SPM8.Comput Intell Neurosci. 2011; 2011: 852961
- Clinical features and pathophysiology of CRPS.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10: 637-648
- The effect of task-relevance on primary somatosensory cortex during continuous sensory-guided movement in the presence of bimodal competition.Brain Res. 2007; 1138: 148-158
- Why do people with complex regional pain syndrome take longer to recognize their affected hand?.Neurology. 2004; 62: 2182-2186
- P300 and neuropsychological assessment in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer dementia.Front Neurol. 2012; 3: 172
- Patterns of cortical reorganization parallel impaired tactile discrimination and pain intensity in complex regional pain syndrome.Neuroimage. 2006; 32: 503-510
- Updating P300: An integrative theory of P3a and P3b.Clin Neurophysiol. 2009; 118: 2128-2148
- Neural correlates of vibrotactile working memory in the human brain.J Neurosci. 2006; 26: 13231-13239
- Intraindividual reaction time variability affects P300 amplitude rather than latency.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 557
- Flutter discrimination: Neural codes, perception, memory and decision making.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2003; 4: 203-218
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- Development and initial validation of the upper extremity functional index.Physiother Can. 2001; 53: 259-267
- Event-related evoked potential responses (P 300) following epidural methylprednisolone therapy in chronic low back pain patients.Anaesthesia. 1997; 52: 1173-1176
- Generators for human P300 elicited by somatosensory stimuli using multiple dipole source analysis.Neuroscience. 1996; 75: 275-287
- Auditory event-related p300 potentials in rheumatoid arthritis patients.Neurophysiology. 2015; 47: 138-143
- Neurophysiological endophenotypes of schizophrenia: The viability of selected candidate measures.Schizophr Bull. 2006; 33: 69-94
- Is the brain of complex regional pain syndrome patients truly different?.Eur J Pain. 2016; 20: 1622-1633
- Dipolar source modeling of the P300 event-related potential after somatosensory stimulation.Muscle Nerve. 2001; 24: 1677-1686
- Topological inference for EEG and MEG.Ann Appl Stat. 2010; 4: 1272-1290
- Forward models for EEG.in: Friston K. Ashburner J. Kiebel S. Nichols T. Penny W. Statistical parametric mapping: The analysis of functional brain images. Academic Press, London, UK2007: 352-366
- MEG source localization under multiple constraints: An extended Bayesian framework.Neuroimage. 2006; 30: 753-767
The research was supported by funding from Cambridge Arthritis Research Endeavour. The study was sponsored by Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and supported by its Rheumatology department.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.