- •Infraorbital nerve injury (dIoN-CCI) induced trigeminal neuropathic pain (TNP).
- •HCN1 and HCN2 were the major HCN isoforms in the gasserian ganglion (GG).
- •Inhibition of HCN channel activity in the GG ameliorated TNP.
- •HCN blocker ivabradine showed a prolonged analgesic effect.
- •HCN1 and HCN2 expression was increased in the GG after dIoN-CCI.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- HCN1 and HCN2 in Rat DRG neurons: Levels in nociceptors and non-nociceptors, NT3-dependence and influence of CFA-induced skin inflammation on HCN2 and NT3 expression.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e50442
- Trigeminal P2X3 receptor expression differs from dorsal root ganglion and is modulated by deep tissue inflammation.Pain. 2005; 117: 280-291
- Quantitative analysis of afferents expressing substance P, calcitonin gene-related peptide, isolectin B4, neurofilament 200, and Peripherin in the sensory root of the rat trigeminal ganglion.J Comp Neurol. 2015; 523: 126-138
- The impact of orofacial pain on the quality of life of patients with temporomandibular disorder.J Orofac Pain. 2009; 23: 28-37
- CT-guided injection of a TRPV1 agonist around dorsal root ganglia decreases pain transmission in swine.Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7: 305ra145
- Properties of ivabradine-induced block of HCN1 and HCN4 pacemaker channels.J Physiol. 2006; 572: 335-346
- Neuronal hyperpolarization-activated pacemaker channels drive neuropathic pain.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 1169-1178
- Postnatal maturation of the hyperpolarization-activated cation current, I(h), in trigeminal sensory neurons.J Neurophysiol. 2011; 106: 2045-2056
- Hyperpolarization-activated cyclic-nucleotide gated 4 (HCN4) protein is expressed in a subset of rat dorsal root and trigeminal ganglion neurons.Cell Tissue Res. 2009; 338: 171-177
- Inhibition of HCN channel activity in the thalamus attenuates chronic pain in rats.Neurosci Lett. 2016; 631: 97-103
- An improved rodent model of trigeminal neuropathic pain by unilateral chronic constriction injury of distal infraorbital nerve.J Pain. 2017; 18: 899-907
- Persistent hindlimb inflammation induces changes in activation properties of hyperpolarization-activated current (Ih) in rat C-fiber nociceptors in vivo.Neuroscience. 2015; 301: 121-133
- RNA-Seq analysis of human trigeminal and dorsal root ganglia with a focus on chemoreceptors.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0128951
- Regulation of Kv2.1 K(+) conductance by cell surface channel density.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 1259-1270
- Expression and properties of hyperpolarization-activated current in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons with known sensory function.J Physiol. 2012; 590: 4691-4705
- Satellite glial cell P2Y12 receptor in the trigeminal ganglion is involved in lingual neuropathic pain mechanisms in rats.Mol Pain. 2012; 8: 23
- Hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channel mRNA and protein expression in large versus small diameter dorsal root ganglion neurons: Correlation with hyperpolarization-activated current gating.Neuroscience. 2008; 153: 1008-1019
- Oxytocin alleviates orofacial mechanical hypersensitivity associated with infraorbital nerve injury through vasopressin-1A receptors of the rat trigeminal ganglia.Pain. 2017; 158: 649-659
- Comprehensive RNA-Seq expression analysis of sensory ganglia with a focus on ion channels and GPCRs in Trigeminal ganglia.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e79523
- Differential effects of calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor blockade by olcegepant on mechanical allodynia induced by ligation of the infraorbital nerve vs the sciatic nerve in the rat.Pain. 2012; 153: 1939-1948
- Immunohistochemical comparison of astrocytic mGluR5 upregulation in infraorbital nerve- versus sciatic nerve-ligated rat.Neurosci Lett. 2017; 653: 113-119
- Role of the hyperpolarization-activated current Ih in somatosensory neurons.J Physiol. 2008; 586: 5911-5929
- Cellular expression and functional characterization of four hyperpolarization-activated pacemaker channels in cardiac and neuronal tissues.Eur J Biochem. 2001; 268: 1646-1652
- The heart-rate-reducing agent, ivabradine, reduces mechanical allodynia in a rodent model of neuropathic pain.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 1139-1147
- Treatment options in trigeminal neuralgia.Ther Adv Neurol Disord. 2010; 3: 107-115
- The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinates.6th ed. Academic Press, Cambridge, MA2007
- HCN2 channels account for mechanical (but not heat) hyperalgesia during long-standing inflammation.Pain. 2014; 155: 1079-1090
- Blocker state dependence and trapping in hyperpolarization-activated cation channels: Evidence for an intracellular activation gate.J Gen Physiol. 2001; 117: 91-101
- Spinal hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channels at primary afferent terminals contribute to chronic pain.Pain. 2010; 151: 87-96
- Extra-territorial pain in rats with a peripheral mononeuropathy: Mechano-hyperalgesia and mechano-allodynia in the territory of an uninjured nerve.Pain. 1994; 57: 375-382
- Ascending connections from the caudal part to the oral part of the spinal trigeminal nucleus in the rat.Neuroscience. 2002; 109: 183-193
- Behavioral evidence of trigeminal neuropathic pain following chronic constriction injury to the rat's infraorbital nerve.J Neurosci. 1994; 14: 2708-2723
- Involvement of hyperpolarization-activated, cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channels in dorsal root ganglion in neuropathic pain.Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2008; 60: 579-580
- Chronic inflammatory pain is associated with increased excitability and hyperpolarization-activated current (Ih) in C- but not Adelta-nociceptors.Pain. 2012; 153: 900-914
- Is ZD7288 a selective blocker of hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channel currents?.Channels. 2012; 6: 438-442
- Multi-dimensionality of chronic pain of the oral cavity and face.J Headache Pain. 2013; 14: 37
- Neuropeptide S modulates the amygdaloidal HCN activities (I) in rats: Implication in chronic pain.Neuropharmacology. 2016; 105: 420-433
W.D., Z.Y., and S.S. contributed equally to this work.
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health grants R01 DE022901 and R01 DE018214 (J.M.) and National Natural Science Foundation of China 81771194 (S.Z.).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.