- •Opioid antinociceptive and behaviorally disruptive effects are measured concurrently.
- •The ratio of ED50 values for both measures are calculated, and differ among opioids.
- •These ratios indicate the behavioral selectivity of opioid antinociception.
- •ED50 ratios serve as preclinical estimates of therapeutic index.
- •Opioids with differing ED50 ratios may have differing scopes of clinical utility.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Morphine versus nalbuphine for open gynaecological surgery: A randomized controlled double blinded trial.Pain Res Treat. 2014; 2014 (727952)
- Some quantitative uses of drug antagonists.Br J Pharmacol Chemother. 1959; 14: 48-58
- Antinociceptive interactions between mu-opioid receptor agonists and the serotonin uptake inhibitor clomipramine in rhesus monkeys: Role of mu agonist efficacy.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010; 335: 497-505
- Discriminative stimulus, reinforcing, physical dependence, and antinociceptive effects of oxycodone in mice, rats, and rhesus monkeys.Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004; 12: 163-172
- Opioid complications and side effects.Pain Physician. 2008; 11: S105-S120
- Antagonism of the antinociceptive and discriminative stimulus effects of heroin and morphine by 3-methoxynaltrexone and naltrexone in rhesus monkeys.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2002; 302: 264-273
- Enadoline discrimination in squirrel monkeys: Effects of opioid agonists and antagonists.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001; 297: 215-223
- Sex-related differences in the antinociceptive effects of opioids: Importance of rat genotype, nociceptive stimulus intensity, and efficacy at the mu opioid receptor.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2000; 150: 430-442
- 75 years of opioid research: The exciting but vain quest for the Holy Grail.Br J Pharmacol. 2006; 147: S153-S162
- Effects of naloxone, diprenorphine, buprenorphine and etorphine on unpunished and punished food-reinforced responding in the squirrel monkey.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1984; 228: 669-675
- Differential cross-tolerance to opioid agonists in morphine-tolerant squirrel monkeys responding under a schedule of food presentation.Eur J Pharmacol. 1989; 174: 171-180
- Behavioral effects of buprenorphine and diprenorphine under a multiple schedule of food presentation in squirrel monkeys.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1983; 226: 317-323
- A tail withdrawal procedure for assessing analgesic activity in rhesus monkeys.J Pharmacol Methods. 1986; 15: 263-269
- Butorphanol-mediated antinociception in mice: partial agonist effects and mu receptor involvement.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1997; 282: 1253-1261
- Antinociceptive and respiratory effects of nalbuphine in rhesus monkeys.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1994; 271: 993-999
- Acute and chronic effects of naltrexone and naloxone on schedule-controlled behavior of squirrel monkeys and pigeons.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1981; 216: 500-509
- Agonist and antagonist actions of morphine-like drugs on the guinea-pig isolated ileum.Br J Pharmacol Chemother. 1966; 27: 514-527
- Determination of receptors that mediate opiate side effects in the mouse.Br J Pharmacol. 1983; 79: 731-736
- Ethanol reversal of tolerance to the antinociceptive effects of oxycodone and hydrocodone.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017; 362: 45-52
- Operant nociception in nonhuman primates.Pain. 2014; 155: 1821-1828
- Diltiazem enhances the analgesic but not the respiratory depressant effects of morphine in rhesus monkeys.Eur J Pharmacol. 2000; 397: 85-92
- Differentiation of kappa opioid agonist-induced antinociception by naltrexone apparent pA2 analysis in rhesus monkeys.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1998; 285: 518-526
- In vivo profiling of seven common opioids for antinociception, constipation and respiratory depression: No two opioids have the same profile.Br J Pharmacol. 2015; 172: 532-548
- Animal models of nociception.Pharmacol Rev. 2001; 53: 597-652
- Comparison of morphine, meperidine, anileridine, and alphaprodine on schedule-controlled responding and analgesia.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1980; 12: 797-801
- Evidence that nalorphine, butorphanol and oxilorphan are partial agonists at a kappa-opioid receptor.Eur J Pharmacol. 1983; 86: 467-470
- Respiratory effects of opioid full and partial agonists in rhesus monkeys.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1996; 277: 462-472
- Buprenorphine: A unique drug with complex pharmacology.Curr Neuropharmacol. 2004; 2: 395-402
- Interactions between mu-opioid receptor agonists and cannabinoid receptor agonists in rhesus monkeys: Antinociception, drug discrimination, and drug self-administration.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013; 345: 354-362
- Anatomy of CNS opioid receptors.Trends Neurosci. 1988; 11: 308-314
- Current challenges in translational pain research.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2012; 33: 568-573
- The effects of morphine- and nalorphine- like drugs in the nondependent and morphine-dependent chronic spinal dog.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1976; 197: 517-532
- Buprenorphine effects on food-maintained responding in Macaque monkeys.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1985; 23: 1037-1044
- The contribution of intrinsic activity to the action of opioids in vitro.Br J Pharmacol. 1986; 87: 595-601
- Effects of mixed agonist-antagonist opioids on the acquisition of conditional discriminations in monkeys.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1987; 240: 74-81
- Effects of opioids on accuracy of a fixed-ratio discrimination in monkeys and rats.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1984; 230: 541-549
- An examination of the interactions between the antinociceptive effects of morphine and various mu-opioids: the role of intrinsic efficacy and stimulus intensity.Anesth Analg. 1999; 88: 407-413
- Contribution of individual differences to discriminative stimulus, antinociceptive and rate-decreasing effects of opioids: importance of the drug's relative intrinsic efficacy at the mu receptor.Behav Pharmacol. 1996; 7: 261-284
- Analysis of opioid efficacy, tolerance, addiction and dependence from cell culture to human.Br J Pharmacol. 2011; 164: 1322-1334
- Characterization of the antinociceptive effects of the individual isomers of methadone after acute and chronic administrations.Behav Pharmacol. 2011; 22: 548-557
- Acute and chronic morphine administration: Effects of mixed-action opioids in rats and squirrel monkeys responding under a schedule of food presentation.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1991; 257: 8-18
- Buprenorphine and opioid antagonism, tolerance, and naltrexone-precipitated withdrawal.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011; 336: 488-495
- Methadone and heroin antinociception: Predominant delta-opioid-receptor responses in methadone-tolerant mice.Jpn J Pharmacol. 2002; 88: 319-331
- Characteristics of older adults receiving opioids in primary care: Treatment duration and outcomes.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 1063-1071
- United States worker's compensation and disability.in: Ballantyne J. Tauben D. Expert decision making on opioid treatment. Oxford University Press, New York2013: 103-114
- Buprenorphine: Differential interaction with opiate receptor subtypes in vivo.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1982; 223: 157-162
- Discriminative effects of cyclazocine in the squirrel monkey.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1978; 205: 291-301
- Morphine-like stimulus effects in the monkey: Opioids with antagonist properties.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1981; 14: 241-245
- Nalbuphine.Drug Alcohol Depend. 1985; 14: 339-362
- Nalbuphine vs morphine as part of intravenous post cardiac surgery.J Anesth Clin Res. 2014; 5: 463
- Opioid interactions in rhesus monkeys: Effects of delta + mu and delta + kappa agonists on schedule-controlled responding and thermal nociception.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003; 307: 1054-1064
- Kappa-opioid receptor effects of butorphanol in rhesus monkeys.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1999; 290: 259-265
- Subjective, psychomotor, and physiological effects of cumulative doses of mixed-action opioids in healthy volunteers.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2001; 155: 362-371
- In vivo apparent pA2 analysis for naltrexone antagonism of discriminative stimulus and analgesic effects of opiate agonists in rats.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1994; 271: 959-968
- Buprenorphine antagonism of mu opioids in the rhesus monkey tail-withdrawal procedure.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995; 273: 1345-1352
- Behavioral characterization of opioid mixed agonist-antagonists.Drug Alcohol Depend. 1987; 20: 303-315
- Reinforcing and discriminative stimulus properties of mixed agonist-antagonist opioids.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1984; 229: 118-126
- A comparison of nalbuphine with morphine for analgesic effects and safety: Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 10927
- Synthesis and binding affinity of novel mono- and bivalent morphinan ligands for kappa, mu, and delta opioid receptors.Bioorg Med Chem. 2011; 19: 2808-2816
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health (RO1-DA035857).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.