- •Of chronic pain patients 37% were classified with fibromyalgia (FM).
- •FM patients showed higher levels of clinical and experimental pain sensitivity.
- •A higher proportion of patients classified as FM used opioids.
- •Specificity and sensitivity of the revised American College of Rheumatology-2016 FM criteria is unknown.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Association of depression and anxiety alone and in combination with chronic musculoskeletal pain in primary care patients.Psychosom Med. 2008; 70: 890-897
- Cerebrospinal fluid levels of opioid peptides in fibromyalgia and chronic low back pain.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2004; 5: 48
- Long-term opioid therapy in Denmark: A disappointing journey.Eur J Pain. 2017; 21: 1516-1527
- Evaluating the reliability of multi-item scales: A non-parametric approach to the ordered categorical structure of data collected with the Swedish version of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia and the Self-Efficacy Scale.J Rehabil Med. 2005; 37: 330-334
- Pain assessment: Global use of the brief pain inventory.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1994; 23: 129-138
- Chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain—a comparison of those who meet criteria for fibromyalgia and those who do not.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 600-610
- More pain, more tender points: Is fibromyalgia just one end of a continuous spectrum?.Ann Rheum Dis. 1996; 55: 482-485
- The impact of moving from a widespread to multi-site pain definition on other fibromyalgia symptoms.Arthritis Care Res. 2017; 69: 1878-1886
- Implications of proposed fibromyalgia criteria across other functional pain syndromes.Scand J Rheumatol. 2015; 44: 416-424
- Chronic pain, opioid prescriptions, and mortality in Denmark: A population-based cohort study.Pain. 2014; 155: 2486-2490
- EuroQol—a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life.Health Policy (New York). 1990; 16: 199-208
- Pressure pain threshold in pain-free subjects, in patients with chronic regional pain syndromes, and in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.Arthritis Rheum. 1993; 36: 642-646
- Decreased central mu-opioid receptor availability in fibromyalgia.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 10000-10006
- Patient health questionnaire 15 as a generic measure of severity in fibromyalgia syndrome: Surveys with patients of three different settings.J Psychosom Res. 2014; 76: 307-311
- Diagnosis of fibromyalgia syndrome-a comparison of Association of the Medical Scientific Societies in Germany, survey, and American College of Rheumatology criteria.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 505-511
- Addictive behaviors related to opioid use for chronic pain: A population-based study.Pain. 2013; 154: 2677-2683
- Associations between demographics and health-related quality of life for chronic non-malignant pain patients treated at a multidisciplinary pain centre: A cohort study.Int J Qual Health Care. 2016; 28: 86-91
- Kinesiophobia: A new view of chronic pain behavior.Pain Manag. 1990; 1: 35-43
- The PHQ-9: Validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Multi-method assessment of experimental and clinical pain in patients with fibromyalgia.Pain. 1994; 59: 45-53
- On what patients does the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia fit?.Physiother Theory Pract. 2009; 25: 495-506
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the prevalence of chronic widespread pain in the general population.Pain. 2016; 157: 55-64
- Long-term evaluation of opioid treatment in fibromyalgia.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 7-13
- Preliminary validity study of the pain disability index.Percept Mot Skills. 1984; 59: 974
- Worldwide epidemiology of fibromyalgia.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2013; 17: 356
- Sex differences in the perception of noxious experimental stimuli: A meta-analysis.Pain. 1998; 74: 181-187
- Epidemiology of chronic pain in Denmark: An update.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 287-292
- Extensive validation of the pain disability index in 3 groups of patients with musculoskeletal pain.Spine. 2013; 38: E562-E568
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: The GAD-7.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1092-1097
- The pain catastrophizing scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Characteristics of chronic pain patients who take opioids and persistently report high pain intensity.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2014; 39: 13-17
- Stop using the American College of Rheumatology criteria in the clinic.J Rheumatol. 2003; 30: 1671-1672
- Fibromyalgianess.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 715-716
- New American College of Rheumatology criteria for fibromyalgia: A twenty-year journey.Arthritis Care Res. 2010; 62: 583-584
- Fibromyalgia prevalence, somatic symptom reporting, and the dimensionality of polysymptomatic distress: Results from a survey of the general population.Arthritis Care Res. 2013; 65: 777-785
- Revisions to the 2010/2011 fibromyalgia diagnostic criteria.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2016; 46: 319-329
- Fibromyalgia criteria and severity scales for clinical and epidemiological studies: A modification of the ACR Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1113-1122
- The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010; 62: 600-610
- Widespread pain and low widespread pain index scores among fibromyalgia-positive cases assessed with the 2010/2011 fibromyalgia criteria.J Rheumatol. 2016; 43: 1743-1748
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the multicenter criteria committee.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 160-172
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.