- •This is the first quantitative sensory testing study on adults with low birth weight.
- •Thermal detection and pain sensitivity were similar in low birth weight and control young adults.
- •Groupwise prevalence of self-reported chronic pain were not reliably different.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Pain, plasticity, and premature birth: A prescription for permanent suffering?.Nat Med. 2000; 6: 971-973
- Pre-pregnancy risk factors of small-for-gestational age births among parous women in Scandinavia.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1993; 72: 273-279
- Fetal origins of coronary heart disease.BMJ. 1995; 311: 171-174
- Reliability of cephalic thermal thresholds in healthy subjects.Cephalalgia. 1998; 18: 574-582
- The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. An updated literature review.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 52: 69-77
- Pain sensitivity in prematurely born adolescents.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003; 157: 1079-1082
- Epidemiology and treatment of painful procedures in neonates in intensive care units.JAMA. 2008; 300: 60-70
- Motor skills in adolescents with low birth weight.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2004; 89: F451-F455
- Preterm births: Can neonatal pain alter the development of endogenous gating systems?.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 945-951
- Contact heat-evoked temporal summation: Tonic versus repetitive-phasic stimulation.Pain. 2006; 122: 295-305
- Neonatal pain, parenting stress and interaction, in relation to cognitive and motor development at 8 and 18months in preterm infants.Pain. 2009; 143: 138-146
- Long-term alteration of pain sensitivity in school-aged children with early pain experiences.Pain. 2006; 125: 278-285
- Responses to pain in school-aged children with experience in a neonatal intensive care unit: Cognitive aspects and maternal influences.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 94-101
- Cerebral processing of pain in school-aged children with neonatal nociceptive input: An exploratory fMRI study.Pain. 2010; 150: 257-267
- Psychiatric symptoms and disorders in adolescents with low birth weight.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2004; 89: F445-F450
- Self-reported chronic pain in young adults with a low birth weight.Clin J Pain. 2017; 33: 348-355
- Psychiatric disorders and general functioning in low birth weight adults: A longitudinal study.Pediatrics. 2017; 139
- Estimating the prevalence of chronic pain: Validation of recall against longitudinal reporting (the HUNT pain study).Pain. 2012; 153: 1368-1373
- Associations between recreational exercise and chronic pain in the general population: Evidence from the HUNT 3 study.Pain. 2011; 152: 2241-2247
- Small for gestational age and intrauterine growth restriction decreases cognitive function in young adults.J Pediatr. 2013; 163: 447-453
- Regression Models for Categorical and Limited Dependent Variables. Advanced Quantitative Techniques in the Social Science Series.SAGE, Thousand Oaks, CA1997
- Mental health, quality of life and social relations in young adults born with low birth weight.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2012; 10: 146
- Reference data for quantitative sensory testing (QST): Refined stratification for age and a novel method for statistical comparison of group data.Pain. 2010; 151: 598-605
- Brain morphometry and cognition in young adults born small for gestational age at term.J Pediatr. 2014; 165 (e1): 921-927
- A systematic literature review of 10 years of research on sex/gender and experimental pain perception—Part 1: Are there really differences between women and men?.Pain. 2012; 153: 602-618
- Do we still hurt newborn babies?: A prospective study of procedural pain and analgesia in neonates.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003; 157: 1058-1064
- Abnormal cerebral MRI findings and neuroimpairments in very low birth weight (VLBW) adolescents.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2008; 12: 273-283
- Neuropsychologic and motor function in small-for-gestation preschoolers.Pediatr Neurol. 2002; 26: 186-191
- Individually based measurement of temporal summation evoked by a noxious tonic heat paradigm.J Pain Res. 2015; 8: 409-415
- Does pain sensitivity change by migraine phase? A blinded longitudinal study.Cephalalgia. 2016; 37: 1337-1349
- Pain threshold, tolerance and intensity in adolescents born very preterm or with low birth weight.Early Hum Dev. 2017; 110: 31-38
- Long-term effects of neonatal morphine infusion on pain sensitivity: Follow-up of a randomized controlled trial.J Pain. 2015; 16: 926-933
- Pain tolerance and pain perception in adolescents born extremely preterm.J Pain. 2012; 13: 978-987
- Persistent changes in peripheral and spinal nociceptive processing after early tissue injury.Exp Neurol. 2016; 275: 253-260
- Long-term impact of neonatal intensive care and surgery on somatosensory perception in children born extremely preterm.Pain. 2009; 141: 79-87
- Temporal and spatial aspects of experimental tonic pain: Understanding pain adaptation and intensification.Eur J Pain. 2015; 19: 408-418
- The Hospital Anxiety And Depression Scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
The present study was funded by the Liaison Committee between Trondheim University Hospital and the NTNU-Norwegian University of Science and Technology. The control and term small for gestational age study groups originate from a multicenter study sponsored by the US National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development contract numbers 1-HD-4-2803 and 1-HD-1-3127). The Norwegian University of Science and Technology funded the PhD candidate. The test equipment was provided by NeXt Move, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. NeXt Move is funded by the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology and the Central Norway Regional Health Authority.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.