- •Estimated annual health care costs were $16,443 per child.
- •Total health care costs significantly decreased across both treatment conditions.
- •Research to determine patterns and drivers of health care costs is needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- United States Medical Expenditure Panel Survey.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, United States2010
- Revisiting the behavioral model and access to medical care: Does it matter?.J Health Soc Behav. 1995; 36: 1-10
- Racial and ethnic disparities in pain: Causes and consequences of unequal care.J Pain. 2009; 10: 1187-1204
- Urban adolescents with intellectual disability and challenging behaviour: Costs and characteristics during transition to adult services.Health Soc Care Community. 2013; 21: 283-292
- National profile of nonemergent pediatric emergency department visits.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 454-459
- Modeling risk using generalized linear models.J Health Econ. 1999; 18: 153-171
- Simplified estimation from censored normal samples.Ann Mat Stat. 1960; 31: 385-391
- Psychological therapies for the management of chronic and recurrent pain in children and adolescents.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (CD003968)
- Clinical service use as people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder transition into adolescence and adulthood: A prospective longitudinal study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 248
- The cost-effectiveness of intensive interdisciplinary pediatric chronic pain rehabilitation.J Pediatr Psychol. 2016; 41: 849-856
- The distinction between cost and charges.Ann Intern Med. 1982; 96: 102-109
- Adolescent and parent treatment goals in an internet-delivered chronic pain self-management program: Does agreement of treatment goals matter?.J Pediatr Psychol. 2017; 42: 657-666
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of psychological therapies for children with chronic pain.J Pediatr Psychol. 2014; 39: 763-782
- Psychological therapies (remotely delivered) for the management of chronic and recurrent pain in children and adolescents.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; (CD011118)
- The economic costs of chronic pain among a cohort of treatment-seeking adolescents in the United States.J Pain. 2014; 15: 925-933
- Health care expenditures associated with pediatric pain-related conditions in the United States.Pain. 2015; 156: 951-957
- Inpatient-based intensive interdisciplinary pain treatment for highly impaired children with severe chronic pain: Randomized controlled trial of efficacy and economic effects.Pain. 2014; 155: 118-128
- Healthcare utilization and indirect burden among families of pediatric patients with chronic pain.J Musculoskelet Pain. 2008; 16: 155-164
- Annual costs of care for pediatric irritable bowel syndrome, functional abdominal pain, and functional abdominal pain syndrome.J Pediatr. 2015; 167 (e1102): 1103-1108
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities in disabling chronic pain: Findings from the health and retirement study.J Pain. 2017; 18: 1459-1467
- Longitudinal change in parent and child functioning after internet-delivered cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic pain.Pain. 2017; 158: 1992-2000
- Brief telephone-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy targeted to parents of children with functional abdominal pain: A randomized controlled trial.Pain. 2017; 158: 618-628
- Effects of a cognitive behavioral therapy intervention trial to improve disease outcomes in children with inflammatory bowel disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2016; 22: 2134-2148
- Estimating costs in cost-effectiveness analysis.in: Gold M. Siegel J.E. Russell L.B. Weinstein M.C. Cost Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. Oxford University Press, New York1996: 176-213
- A cost-analysis of an interdisciplinary pediatric chronic pain clinic.J Pain. 2017; 19: 158-165
- Healthcare service use in adolescents with non-specific musculoskeletal pain.Acta Paediatr. 2010; 99: 1224-1228
- Internet-delivered cognitive-behavioral treatment for adolescents with chronic pain and their parents: A randomized controlled multicenter trial.Pain. 2016; 157: 174-185
- Trajectories of change during a randomized controlled trial of internet-delivered psychological treatment for adolescent chronic pain: How does change in pain and function relate?.Pain. 2015; 156: 626-634
- Inpatient burden of childhood functional GI disorders in the USA: An analysis of national trends in the USA from 1997 to 2009.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015; 27: 684-692
- Insights in the use of health care services in chronic benign pain in childhood and adolescence.Pain. 2001; 94: 205-213
- Economic cost of severe antisocial behaviour in children–and who pays it.Br J Psychiatry. 2006; 188: 547-553
- Health care utilization and cost in children and adolescents with chronic pain: Analysis of health care claims data 1 year before and after intensive interdisciplinary pain treatment.Clin J Pain. 2017; 33: 767-776
- The economic impact of chronic pain in adolescence: Methodological considerations and a preliminary costs-of-illness study.Pain. 2005; 119: 183-190
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 12.StataCorp LP, College Station, TX2011
- Racial/ethnic disparities in the assessment and treatment of pain: psychosocial perspectives.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 131-141
- Patterns and predictors of health service utilization in adolescents with pain: comparison between a community and a clinical pain sample.J Pain. 2011; 12: 747-755
- Consumer Price Index.(Available at:)http://www.bls.gov/cpi/Date accessed: April 10, 2017
- Determining the cost of pharmaceuticals for a cost-effectiveness analysis.(Available at:)https://www.herc.research.va.gov/include/page.asp?id=pharmaceutical-costsDate accessed: April 10, 2017
- Veterans Affairs Federal Supply Schedule Pharmaceutical Pricing.(Available at:)https://www.va.gov/oal/business/fss/pharmPRices.aspDate accessed: April 10, 2017
- Complementary and alternative medicine use and cost in functional bowel disorders: A six month prospective study in a large HMO.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2008; 8: 46
- Abdominal pain in British young people: Associations, impairment and health care use.J Psychosom Res. 2012; 73: 437-442
An earlier version of this research was presented at the American Pain Society 36th Annual Scientific Meeting, and published as a scientific abstract (Law E.F., Groenewald C., Zhou C., Palermo, M.: Interdisciplinary pain clinic treatment may reduce health care utilization among youth with chronic pain. J Pain 18:S43, 2017).
This research was supported by the National Institutes of Health, including Grant R01HD062538 from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health, Behavior and Development (PI: Palermo) and Grant K23NS089966 from the National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (PI: Law).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.