- •Veterans with the most severe head injury sequelae were most likely to receive opioid therapy.
- •Veterans with moderate to severe traumatic brain injury were more likely to be prescribed opioids.
- •Veterans with traumatic brain injury and mental health comorbidity were at highest risk for opioids.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Comprehensive assessment of chronic pain management in primary care: A first phase of a quality improvement initiative at a multisite Community Health Center.Qual Prim Care. 2012; 20: 421-433
- Prevalence and correlates of co-prescribing psychotropic medications with long-term opioid use nationally in the Veterans Health Administration.Psychiatry Res. 2015; 227: 324-332
- Association between opioid prescribing patterns and opioid overdose-related deaths.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1315-1321
- Wide-Ranging Online Data for Epidemiologic Research (WONDER).(National Center for Health Statistics, Atlanta, GA)2016
- Provider experiences with the identification, management, and treatment of co-occurring chronic noncancer pain and substance use in the safety net.Subst Use Misuse. 2017; 52: 251-255
- Opioids compared with placebo or other treatments for chronic low back pain: An update of the Cochrane Review.Spine. 2014; 39: 556-563
- VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for Management of Concussion/Mild Traumatic Brain Injury.(Washington DC)2009
- Management of Opioid Therapy (OT) for Chronic Pain.(The Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Work Group, Washington DC)2017
- Correlates of prescription opioid initiation and long-term opioid use in veterans with persistent pain.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 102-108
- Trends in use of opioids for chronic noncancer pain among individuals with mental health and substance use disorders: The TROUP study.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 1-8
- Disparities in diabetes care: Impact of mental illness.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 2631-2638
- Prescription opioid initiation, correlates, and consequences among a sample of OEF/OIF military personnel.Subst Use Misuse. 2013; 48: 811-820
- Health-related quality of life among prescription opioid-dependent patients: Results from a multi-site study.Am J Addict. 2015; 24: 308-314
- Neuropsychological consequences of opiate use.Neuropsychol Rev. 2007; 17: 299-315
- Prevalence and trends of concurrent opioid analgesic and benzodiazepine use among veterans affairs patients with post-traumatic stress disorder, 2003–2011.Pain Med. 2015; 16: 1943-1954
- Screening for mild traumatic brain injury in OEF-OIF deployed US military: An empirical assessment of VHA experience.Brain Inj. 2013; 27: 125-134
- Mild traumatic brain injury in U.S. soldiers returning from Iraq.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 453-463
- Pharmacoepidemiologic analyses of opioid use among OEF/OIF/OND veterans.Pain. 2017; 158: 1039-1045
- Associations between a history of traumatic brain injuries and current cigarette smoking, substance use, and elevated psychological distress in a population sample of Canadian adults.J Neurotrauma. 2015; 32: 1130-1134
- Association of care practices with suicide attempts in US veterans prescribed opioid medications for chronic pain management.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: 979-991
- Beliefs and attitudes about opioid prescribing and chronic pain management: Survey of primary care providers.J Opioid Manag. 2014; 10: 375-382
- Veterans' reports of pain and associations with ratings of health, health-risk behaviors, affective distress, and use of the healthcare system.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2003; 40: 371-379
- Barriers to guideline-concordant opioid management in primary care–a qualitative study.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1148-1155
- Sex and age differences in global pain status among patients using opioids long term for chronic noncancer pain.J Womens Health. 2015; 24: 629-635
- Prevalence of chronic pain, posttraumatic stress disorder, and persistent postconcussive symptoms in OIF/OEF veterans: Polytrauma clinical triad.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2009; 46: 697-702
- Impact of the Opioid Safety Initiative on opioid-related prescribing in veterans.Pain. 2017; 158: 833-839
- Prescription opioid use among seriously mentally ill veterans nationally in the Veterans Health Administration.Community Ment Health J. 2016; 52: 165-173
- The patient-provider relationship in chronic pain care: Providers' perspectives.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 1688-1697
- Clinical characteristics of veterans prescribed high doses of opioid medications for chronic non-cancer pain.Pain. 2010; 151: 625-632
- Associations between prescription opioid use and sleep impairment among veterans with chronic pain.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 1902-1910
- Risk for prescription opioid misuse among patients with a history of substance use disorder.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013; 127: 193-199
- Traumatic brain injury in the war zone.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2043-2047
- Pain experience of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with comorbid chronic pain and posttraumatic stress.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2014; 51: 559-570
- Misuse of prescribed pain medication in a military population-a self-reported survey to assess a correlation with age, deployment, combat illnesses, or injury?.Am J Ther. 2017; 24: e150-e156
- Analgesic efficacy of opioids in chronic pain: Recent meta-analyses.Br J Pharmacol. 2015; 172: 324-333
- Increases in drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths—United States, 2010–2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1445-1452
- New-onset depression following stable, slow, and rapid rate of prescription opioid dose escalation.Pain. 2017; 158: 306-312
- Increased risk of depression recurrence after initiation of prescription opioids in noncancer pain patients.J Pain. 2016; 17: 473-482
- Managing chronic pain in primary care: It really does take a village.J Gen Intern Med. 2017; 32: 931-934
- Association of traumatic brain injury with chronic pain in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans: Effect of comorbid mental health conditions.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1636-1645
- Association of mental health disorders with prescription opioids and high-risk opioid use in US veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.JAMA. 2012; 307: 940-947
- Stata SE [computer program].(Release 14; College Station, TX: StataCorp LP)2015
- Who gets high-dose opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain?.Pain. 2010; 151: 567-568
- Association between mental health disorders, problem drug use, and regular prescription opioid use.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 2087-2093
- Brief report: Training internists in shared decision making about chronic opioid treatment for noncancer pain.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 360-362
- Evaluation of the acceptability and usability of a decision support system to encourage safe and effective use of opioid therapy for chronic, noncancer pain by primary care providers.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 575-585
This work was supported by the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium under award number W81XWH-13-2-0095.
The U.S. Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity (820 Chandler Street, Fort Detrick, MD 21702-5014) is the awarding and administering acquisition office. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.