- •Pain is a frequent symptom in patients with myotonic dystrophy type 2 (DM2) instead of pain is a frequent and important symptom in patients with myotonic dystrophy type 2.
- •Pain affects quality of life in patients with DM2.
- •Mechanical hyperalgesia is present in patients with DM2.
- •A peripheral mechanism of pain is likely to be present in DM2.
- •Central sensitization is at least less pronounced in DM2 than in fibromyalgia.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Translation, validation and norming of the Dutch language version of the SF-36 Health Survey in Community and chronic disease populations.J Clin Epidemiol. 1998; 51: 1055-1068
- Assessment of muscle pain and hyperalgesia. Experimental and clinical findings.Schmerz. 2003; 17: 445-449
- Myotonic dystrophy type 2 found in two of sixty-three persons diagnosed as having fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 3627-3631
- Health status as measured by SF-36 reflects changes and predicts outcome in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A 3-year follow up study in the general population.Pain. 2004; 108: 115-123
- The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. An updated literature review.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 52: 69-77
- FMRI of spinal and supra-spinal correlated of temporal pain summation in fibromyalgia patients.Hum Brain Mapp. 2016; 37: 1349-1360
- Myotonic dystrophy type 2: Molecular, diagnostic and clinical spectrum.Neurology. 2003; 60: 657-664
- 184th ENMC International Workshop: Pain and fatigue in neuromuscular disorders: 20–22 May 2011, Naarden, The Netherlands.Neuromuscul Disord. 2013; 23: 1028-1032
- Neurophysiologic evidence for a central sensitization in patients with fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 1420-1429
- Musculoskeletal pain in patients with myotonic dystrophy type 2.Arch Neurol. 2004; 61: 1938-1942
- Pharmacological treatment of fibromyalgia and other chronic musculoskeletal pain.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2007; 21: 499-511
- Assessment of mechanism in localized and widespread musculoskeletal pain.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010; 6: 599-606
- The peripheral apparatus of muscle pain: Evidence from animal and human studies.Clin J Pain. 2001; 17: 2-10
- Diagnostic odyssey of patients with myotonic dystrophy.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 2497-2504
- A comprehensive review of opioid-induced hyperalgesia.Pain Physician. 2011; 14: 145-161
- Myotonic dystrophy type 2 caused by a CCTG expansion in intron 1 of ZNF9.Science. 2001; 293: 864-867
- The McGill Pain Questionnaire: Major properties and scoring methods.Pain. 1975; 1: 277-299
- Clinical and genetic heterogeneity in myotonic disorders.Muscle Nerve. 2000; 23: 1789-1799
- The brain in myotonic dystrophy 1 and 2: Evidence for a predominant white matter disease.Brain. 2011; 134: 3530-3546
- A molecular signature of myalgia in myotonic dystrophy type 2.EBioMedicine. 2016; 7: 205-211
- Report of the 84th ENMC workshop: PROMM (proximal myotonic myopathy) and other myotonic dystrophy-like syndromes: 2nd workshop. 13-15th October, 2000, Loosdrecht, The Netherlands.Neuromuscul Disord. 2002; 12: 306-317
- Multidimensional aspects of pain in myotonic dystrophies.Acta Myol. 2015; 34: 126-132
- Myotonic dystrophy and proximal myotonic myopathy.J Neurol. 1999; 246: 334-338
- Quantitative sensory testing in the German research network on neuropathic pain (DFNS): Standardized protocol and reference values.Pain. 2006; 123: 231-243
- Heat-sensitive myotonia in proximal myotonic myopathy.Neurology. 1996; 47: 956-962
- Neurobiology of fibromyalgia and chronic widespread pain.Neuroscience. 2016; 338: 114-129
- Assessment of pain in rheumatic diseases.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2005; 23: 77-84
- A validation study of the hospital anxiety and depression scale (HADS) in different groups of Dutch subjects.Psychol Med. 1997; 27: 262-270
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 432-524
- Pain in patients with myotonic dystrophy type 2: A postal survey in Finland.Muscle Nerve. 2012; 45: 70-74
- High disease impact of myotonic dystrophy type 2 on physical and mental functioning.J Neurol. 2011; 258: 1820-1826
- Gastrointestinal involvement is frequent in myotonic dystrophy type 2.Neuromuscul Disord. 2008; 18: 646-649
- Skeletal muscle involvement in myotonic dystrophy type 2. A comparative muscle ultrasound study.Neuromuscul Disord. 2012; 22: 492-499
- Detecting the neuropathic pain component in the clinical setting: A study protocol for validation of screening instruments for the presence of a neuropathic pain component.BMC Neurol. 2014; 14: 94
- Central sensitization and Ca(V)α2δ ligands in chronic pain syndromes: Pathologic processes and pharmacologic effect.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1241-1249
- 140th ENMC International Workshop: myotonic Dystrophy DM2/PROMM and other myotonic dystrophies with guidelines on management.Neuromuscul Disord. 2006; 16: 403-413
- De pain catastrophizing scale: psychometrische karakteristieken en normering.Gedragstherapie. 2000; 33: 209-220
- Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients.Stroke. 1988; 19: 604-607
- No relevant excess prevalence of myotonic dystrophy type 2 in patients with suspected fibromyalgia syndrome.Neuromuscul Disord. 2016; 26: 370-373
- The Dutch version of the McGill pain questionnaire: A reliable pain questionnaire.Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 1995; 139: 669-673
- Left ventricular dysfunction and cardiac arrhythmias are frequent in type 2 myotonic dystrophy: A case control study.Neuromuscul Disord. 2009; 19: 468-472
- The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): I. Conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care. 1992; 30: 473-483
- Effects of catastrophizing on pain perception and pain modulation.Exp Brain Res. 2008; 186: 79-85
- A Paradigm-Shift in Pain Medicine: Implementing a Systematic Approach to Altered Pain Processing in Everyday Clinical Practice Based on Quantitative Sensory Testing.Center for Sensory-Motor Interaction (SMI), Department of Health Science and Technology, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark2013
- The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity.Arthritis Care Res. 2010; 62: 600-610
- Central sensitization: Implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-S15
- Recommendations on practice of conditioned pain modulation (CPM) testing.Eur J Pain. 2015; 19: 805-806
- The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
This study was sponsored by Fonds NutsOhra (1301-057).
A.V. received honoraria from serving as a consultant for Leadiant Biosciences, Inc, USA and Leadiant Biosciences Ltd, United Kingdom. B.G.M.v.E. reports grants from Prinses Beatrix Spierfonds, Association Française contre les Myopathies, Stichting Spieren voor Spieren, FSHD Stichting, NWO, and Euroimmune, outside of the submitted work; and a patent EP2012740236 licensed to Euroimmune. The remaining authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.