- •Development of injectable calcium phosphate cements loaded with local anesthetics.
- •Combined cements have the properties required for use in preclinical studies.
- •The CatWalk is an appropriate tool to study implanted analgesic biomaterials.
- •Cements could be part of the global pain management protocol after bone surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
ASTM: Standard Test Method for Time of Setting of Hydraulic-Cement Paste by Gillmore Needles. ASTM C266-08, 2008.
- The Use of Calcium Phosphate Bone Cement in Fracture Treatment: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Trials.J Bone Jt Surg-Am Vol. 2008; 90: 1186-1196
- Innovations in postoperative pain management: continuous infusion of local anesthetics.AORN J. 2007; 85 (quiz 915-18 ): 904-914
- A sensitive and reliable locomotor rating scale for open field testing in rats.J Neurotrauma. 1995; 12: 1-21
- Frequency, intensity, development and repercussions of postoperative pain as a function of the type of surgery.Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 1998; 17: 471-493
- Digigait quantitation of gait dynamics in rat rheumatoid arthritis model.J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2009; 9: 89-98
- Antinociceptive efficacy of lacosamide in the monosodium iodoacetate rat model for osteoarthritis pain.Arthritis Res Ther. 2007; 9: R14
- Articaine for supplemental intraosseous anesthesia in patients with irreversible pulpitis.J Endod. 2006; 32: 1044-1047
- Technological issues for the development of more efficient calcium phosphate bone cements: A critical assessment.Biomaterials. 2005; 26: 6423-6429
- Biphasic calcium phosphate ceramics for bone reconstruction: A review of biological response.Acta Biomater. 2017; 53: 1-12
- A review of local anesthetic cardiotoxicity and treatment with lipid emulsion.Local and Regional Anesthesia. 2010; 3: 11-19
- Thermal and mechanical antinociceptive action of spinal vs peripherally administered clonidine in the rat inflamed knee joint model.Br J Anaesth. 1999; 83: 436-441
- Bupivacaine, levobupivacaine and ropivacaine: are they clinically different?.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2005; 19: 247-268
- Pan H-C: Detection of subtle neurological alterations by the Catwalk XT gait analysis system.J Neuroengineering Rehabil. 2014; 11: 1
- Postoperative pain in ambulatory surgery.Anesth Analg. 1997; 85: 808-816
- Gait analysis as an objective measure in a chronic pain model.J Neurosci Methods. 2002; 116: 197-213
- Evaluation of buprenorphine in a postoperative pain model in rats.Comp Med. 2009; 59: 60-71
- The CatWalk gait analysis in assessment of both dynamic and static gait changes after adult rat sciatic nerve resection.J Neurosci Methods. 2007; 164: 120-130
- Gait analysis and pain response of two rodent models of osteoarthritis.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2011; 97: 603-610
- The CatWalk method: A detailed analysis of behavioral changes after acute inflammatory pain in the rat.J Neurosci Methods. 2007; 163: 9-16
- NSAIDs and fracture healing.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2013; 25: 524-531
- New processing approaches in calcium phosphate cements and their applications in regenerative medicine.Acta Biomater. 2010; 6: 2863-2873
- Calcium phosphate cements as bone drug delivery systems: A review.J Controlled Release. 2006; 113: 102-110
- Autogenous iliac crest bone graft. Complications and functional assessment.Clin Orthop. 1997; 339: 76-81
- Automated Quantitative Gait Analysis During Overground Locomotion in the Rat: Its Application to Spinal Cord Contusion and Transection Injuries.J Neurotrauma. 2001; 18: 187-201
- Strain and locomotor speed affect over-ground locomotion in intact rats.Physiol Behav. 2007; 92: 993-1001
- Effects of Enriched Housing on Functional Recovery After Spinal Cord Contusive Injury in the Adult Rat.J Neurotrauma. 2001; 18: 203-215
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) autograft versus graft substitutes: what do patients prefer?—A clinical study.J Spine Surg. 2016; 2: 105-110
- Overlapping signatures of chronic pain in the DNA methylation landscape of prefrontal cortex and peripheral T cells.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 19615
- Design and properties of novel gallium-doped injectable apatitic cements.Acta Biomater. 2015; 24: 322-332
- Assessment of Gait in a Rat Model of Myofascial Inflammation Using the CatWalk System: .Spine. 2011; 36: 1760-1764
- Using the CatWalk method to assess weight-bearing and pain behaviour in walking rats with ankle joint monoarthritis induced by carrageenan: Effects of morphine and rofecoxib.J Neurosci Methods. 2008; 174: 1-9
- Injectability, microstructure and release properties of sodium fusidate-loaded apatitic cement as a local drug-delivery system.Mater Sci Eng C. 2016; 59: 177-184
- Local delivery of bisphosphonate from coated orthopedic implants increases implants mechanical stability in osteoporotic rats.J Biomed Mater Res A. 2006; 76: 133-143
- Calcium phosphate drug delivery system: influence of local zoledronate release on bone implant osteointegration.Bone. 2005; 36: 52-60
- Donor site morbidity following iliac crest bone harvesting for cervical fusion: a comparison between minimally invasive and open techniques.Eur Spine J. 2008; 17: 845-852
- [Regional anaesthesia versus general anaesthesia-pathophysiology and clinical implications].Anaesthesiol Reanim. 2004; 29: 30-38
- Calcium phosphate biomaterials and bone mineral. Differences in composition, structures and properties.Biomaterials. 1990; 11: 13-15
- Comparison of Autogenous Bone Graft and Endothermic Calcium Phosphate Cement for Defect Augmentation in Tibial Plateau Fractures: A Multicenter, Prospective, Randomized Study.J Bone Jt Surg-Am Vol. 2008; 90: 2057-2061
- NSAID-induced Gastrointestinal Injury: A Focused Update for Clinicians.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2016; 50: 5-10
- Pain management: engineering successful outcomes.J Healthc Mater Manage. 1992; 10: 61-66
- Donor site morbidity after anterior iliac crest bone harvest for single-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.Spine. 2003; 28: 134-139
- A prospective cohort analysis of adjacent vertebral body bone mineral density in lumbar surgery patients with or without instrumented posterolateral fusion: a 9- to 12-year follow-up.Spine. 2005; 30: 1750-1755
- Pain after surgery.Br J Anaesth. 1991; 67: 233-234
- In vitro drug release of antibiotic-loaded porous hydroxyapatite cement.Artif Cells Blood Substit Biotechnol. 1995; 23: 81-88
- Automated quantitative gait analysis in animal models of movement disorders.BMC Neurosci. 2010; 11: 1
- Controlling the biological function of calcium phosphate bone substitutes with drugs.Acta Biomater. 2012; 8: 3541-3551
- Analgesic properties of calcium phosphate apatite loaded with bupivacaine on postoperative pain.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010; 94: 89-96
- In vivo bone augmentation in an osteoporotic environment using bisphosphonate-loaded calcium deficient apatite.Biomaterials. 2010; 31: 7776-7784
- Calcium phosphate biomaterials as bone drug delivery systems: a review.Drug Discov Today. 2010; 15: 547-552
- Vertebroplasty using bisphosphonate-loaded calcium phosphate cement in a standardized vertebral body bone defect in an osteoporotic sheep model.Acta Biomater. 2014; 10: 4887-4895
- ‘CatWalk'automated quantitative gait analysis as a novel method to assess mechanical allodynia in the rat; a comparison with von Frey testing.Pain. 2003; 102: 203-209
- Postoperative HyperalgesiaIts Clinical Importance and Relevance.J Am Soc Anesthesiol. 2006; 104: 601-607
- Early administration of oral morphine to orthopedic patients after surgery.J Opioid Manag. 2006; 2: 88-92
- Calcium phosphate cements for bone substitution: Chemistry, handling and mechanical properties.Acta Biomater. 2014; 10: 1035-1049
☆Funding for this study was provided by the University of Nantes through the interdisciplinary “CAAPRO project 2015-67.”
✯✯The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.