- •One in 3 patients will have chronic postoperative abdominal pain 6 months after elective abdominal surgery.
- •Pain-related factors and adhesions at the incision were associated with chronic postoperative abdominal pain.
- •A higher preoperative mental health score were associated with a lower risk of chronic postoperative abdominal pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Comparison of acute and chronic pain after open nephrectomy versus laparoscopic nephrectomy: A prospective clinical trial.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e3433
- Regional anaesthesia to prevent chronic pain after surgery: A Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Anaesth. 2013; 111: 711-720
- Risk factors for chronic pain after hysterectomy: A nationwide questionnaire and database study.Anesthesiology. 2007; 106: 1003-1012
- Validating the SF-36 health survey questionnaire: New outcome measure for primary care.BMJ. 1992; 305: 160-164
- Quality of life and chronic pain four years after gastrointestinal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2006; 49: 1362-1370
- Pharmacotherapy for the prevention of chronic pain after surgery in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; CD008307
- Differential expression of TGF-beta1 and TGF-beta3 in serosal tissues of human intraperitoneal organs and peritoneal adhesions.Hum Reprod. 2001; 16: 1291-1300
- IMMPACT: Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2005; 113: 9-19
- Dealing with missing outcome data in randomized trials and observational studies.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 175: 210-217
- The neuropathic component in persistent postsurgical pain: A systematic literature review.Pain. 2013; 154: 95-102
- Age-specific changes in BMI and BMI distribution among Australian adults using cross-sectional surveys from 1980 to 2008.Int J Obes (Lond). 2015; 39: 1209-1216
- Psychosocial predictors and correlates for chronic post-surgical pain (CPSP): A systematic review.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 719-730
- Overproduction of transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-beta1) is associated with adhesion formation and peritoneal fibrinolytic impairment.Surgery. 2001; 129: 626-632
- Treating symptomatic adhesions to the sigmoid colon: Colectomy improves quality of life.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2013; 28: 1407-1411
- Prevalence, characteristics and risk factors of chronic postsurgical pain after laparoscopic colorectal surgery: Retrospective analysis.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2015; 32: 712-717
- Transition from acute to chronic postsurgical pain: Risk factors and protective factors.Expert Rev Neurother. 2009; 9: 723-744
- Meta-analysis of health-related quality of life after minimally invasive versus open oesophagectomy for oesophageal cancer.Br J Surg. 2017; 104: 1131-1140
- Persistent postsurgical pain: Risk factors and prevention.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1618-1625
- Chronic post-surgical pain: 10 years on.Br J Anaesth. 2008; 101: 77-86
- Anxiety and surgical recovery. Reinterpreting the literature.J Psychosom Res. 2001; 51: 589-596
World Health Organization (WHO): Cancer pain ladder for adults. Available at: http://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/painladder/en/ Accessed February 11, 2018.
- Somatic and psychologic predictors of long-term unfavorable outcome after surgical intervention.Ann Surg. 2007; 245: 487-494
- Risk factors for persistent postsurgical pain in women undergoing hysterectomy due to benign causes: A prospective predictive study.J Pain. 2012; 13: 1045-1057
- Laparoscopic vs. open liver resection for malignant liver disease: A systematic review.Surgeon. 2012; 10: 194-201
- Systematic review of laparoscopic versus open surgery for colorectal cancer.Br J Surg. 2006; 93: 921-928
- Development of abdominal pain and IBS following gynecological surgery: A prospective, controlled study.Gastroenterology. 2008; 134: 75-84
- Multicenter observational study of adhesion formation after open-and laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer.Ann Surg. 2018; 267: 743-748
- Risk factors for future repeat abdominal surgery.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2016; 401: 829-837
- Adhesiolysis in patients undergoing a repeat median laparotomy.Dis Colon Rectum. 2015; 58: 792-798
- GSRS: A clinical rating scale for gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome and peptic ulcer disease.Dig Dis Sci. 1988; 33: 129-134
- Laparoscopic adhesiolysis in patients with chronic abdominal pain: A blinded randomised controlled multi-centre trial.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1247-1251
- Burden of adhesions in abdominal and pelvic surgery: Systematic review and met-analysis.BMJ. 2013; 347: f5588
- Adhesiolysis-related morbidity in abdominal surgery.Ann Surg. 2013; 258: 98-106
- Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of treatments for patients with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: 355-365
- Surgical treatment of adhesion-related chronic abdominal and pelvic pain after gynaecological and general surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Hum Reprod Update. 2017; 23: 276-288
- Chronic pain, healthcare utilization, and quality of life following gastrointestinal surgery.Can J Anaesth. 2012; 59: 670-680
- Chronic pain after surgery: Time for standardization? A framework to establish core risk factor and outcome domains for epidemiological studies.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 2-8
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.