- •Pain progression is heterogeneous in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
- •Persistent pain is predicted by high disability.
- •Even when inflammation resolves, the commonest trajectory is persistent pain.
- •Additional pain management might help people with rheumatoid arthritis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Remaining pain in early rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with methotrexate.Arthritis Care Res. 2016; 68: 1061-1068
- The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1988; 31: 315-324
- Efficacy of cardiorespiratory aerobic exercise in rheumatoid arthritis: Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Arthritis Care Res. 2010; 62: 984-992
- Heterogeneous disease trajectories explain variable radiographic, function and quality of life outcomes in the Canadian Early Arthritis Cohort (CATCH).PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0135327
- The Stanford Health Assessment Questionnaire: A review of its history, issues, progress, and documentation.J Rheumatol. 2003; 30: 167-178
- Reductions in radiographic progression in early rheumatoid arthritis over twenty-five years: Changing contribution from rheumatoid factor in two multicenter UK inception cohorts.Arthritis Care Res. 2017; 69: 1809-1817
- Smoking and rheumatoid arthritis.Int J Mol Sci. 2014; 15: 22279-22295
- Ultrasound Doppler but not temporal summation of pain predicts DAS28 response in rheumatoid arthritis: A prospective cohort study.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016; 55: 1091-1098
- Rheumatoid arthritis patients after initiation of a new biologic agent: Trajectories of disease activity in a large multinational cohort study.EBioMedicine. 2016; 11: 302-306
- Trajectories of physical activity over two years in persons with rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016; 68: 1069-1077
- The longitudinal course of fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis: Results from the Norfolk Arthritis Register.J Rheumatol. 2015; 42: 2059-2065
- Physical activity levels and functional performance in the osteoarthritis initiative: A graded relationship.Arthritis Rheum. 2011; 63: 127-136
- Personality is of central concern to understand health: Towards a theoretical model for health psychology.Health Psychol Rev. 2013; 7: S32-S70
- Future directions in personality, occupational and medical selection: Myths, misunderstandings, measurement, and suggestions.Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2017; 22: 387-399
- The Early Rheumatoid Arthritis Network (ERAN).Musculoskel Care. 2004; 2: 240-244
- Clinical and radiographic outcomes of four different treatment strategies in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (the BeSt study): A randomized, controlled trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: S126-S135
- Comparison of the response to infliximab or etanercept monotherapy with the response to cotherapy with methotrexate or another disease-modifying antirheumatic drug in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 1786-1794
Hyrich KL, Watson KD, Lunt M, Symmons DP: Changes in disease characteristics and response rates among patients in the United Kingdom starting anti-tumour necrosis factor therapy for rheumatoid arthritis between 2001 and 2008. Rheumatology (Oxford) 50:117-123, 2011
- General and disease-specific pain trajectories as predictors of social and political outcomes in arthritis and cancer.BMC Med. 2018; 16: 51
- Assessment of the SF-36 version 2 in the United Kingdom.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1999; 53: 46-50
- A cross-sectional study of pain sensitivity, disease-activity assessment, mental health, and fibromyalgia status in rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2015; 17: 11
- Contribution of the subjective components of the disease activity score to the response to biologic treatment in rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015; 67: 923-928
- Outcome in rheumatoid arthritis patients with continued conventional therapy for moderate disease activity–the Early RA Network (ERAN).Rheumatology (Oxford, England). 2011; 50: 926-931
- Rheumatoid factor and anti-CCP autoantibodies in rheumatoid arthritis: A review.Clin Lab Sci. 2008; 21: 15-18
- Pain persists in DAS28 rheumatoid arthritis remission but not in ACR/EULAR remission: A longitudinal observational study.Arthritis Res Ther. 2011; 13: R83
- Pattern-mixture models for multivariate incomplete data with covariates.Biometrics. 1996; 52: 98-111
- Discordant inflammation and pain in early and established rheumatoid arthritis: Latent class analysis of Early Rheumatoid Arthritis Network and British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register data.Arthritis Res Ther. 2016; 18: 295
- Interpretation of DAS28 and its components in the assessment of inflammatory and non-inflammatory aspects of rheumatoid arthritis.BMC Rheumatol. 2018; 2: 8
- Factors predicting pain and early discontinuation of tumour necrosis factor-alpha-inhibitors in people with rheumatoid arthritis: Results from the British society for rheumatology biologics register.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016; 17: 337
- Predictors of change in bodily pain in early rheumatoid arthritis: An inception cohort study.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012; 64: 1505-1513
- Growth modeling with nonignorable dropout: Alternative analyses of the STAR*D antidepressant trial.Psychol Methods. 2011; 16: 17-33
- Association of joint inflammation with pain sensitization in knee osteoarthritis: The Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016; 68: 654-661
- Rheumatoid arthritis—the management of rheumatoid arthritis in adults.HMSO, London2009
- Health Assessment Questionnaire disability progression in early rheumatoid arthritis: Systematic review and analysis of two inception cohorts.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2014; 44: 131-144
- Trajectories of functional limitation in early rheumatoid arthritis and their association with mortality.Rheumatology (Oxford, England). 2013; 52: 2016-2024
- Distinct psychological distress trajectories in rheumatoid arthritis: Findings from an inception cohort.J Psychosom Res. 2011; 71: 290-295
- Pain and psychological health status over a 10-year period in patients with recent onset rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2007; 66: 1195-1201
- Pain thresholds in rheumatoid arthritis: The effect of tender point counts and disease duration.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 28-31
- Fibromyalgic rheumatoid arthritis and disease assessment.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2010; 49: 924-928
- The evidence base for psychological interventions for rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic review of reviews.Int J Nurs Stud. 2018; 82: 20-29
- Smoking and pain: Pathophysiology and clinical implications.Anesthesiology. 2010; 113: 977-992
- Trajectories of pain severity in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Results from the Research in Arthritis in Canadian Children Emphasizing Outcomes cohort.Pain. 2018; 159: 57-66
- Distinct trajectories of disease activity over the first year in early rheumatoid arthritis patients following a treat-to-target strategy.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014; 66: 625-630
- British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register.Ann Rheum Dis. 2003; 62: ii28-29
- Look beyond the disease activity score of 28 joints (DAS28): Tender points influence the DAS28 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 22-27
Van Riel PL: Disease activity score in rheumatoid arthritis. 2018. Available at: http://www.das-score.nl/das28/en/; Accessed September 10, 2018
- Physical activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Joint Bone Spine. 2016; 83: 265-270
- SF-36 health survey: Manual and interpretation guide.2nd ed. QualityMetric Inc, Lincoln, RI2000
- The development of fibromyalgia–I: Examination of rates and predictors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA).Pain. 2011; 152: 291-299
E.F. and D.A.W. contributed equally to this study.
Funded by an iCRP grant from Pfizer UK (ref: WI190792).
D.A.W. and D.F.M. declare grant support from Pfizer. This study was funded by an iCRP grant from Pfizer UK (ref: WI190792). D.A.W. declares consultancy work for Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline. The other authors have no disclosures.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.