- •Reported primary outcome measures were highly variable between trials.
- •CONSORT adverse event reporting standards were met in <50% of the articles reviewed.
- •Reporting recommendations for chronic pediatric pain trials are provided.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Psychosocial factors and central sensitivity syndromes.Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2015; 11: 96-108
- Preliminary experience using milnacipran in patients with juvenile fibromyalgia: Lessons from a clinical trial program.Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2015; 13: 27
- Safety and efficacy of pregabalin in adolescents with fibromyalgia: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial and a 6-month open-label extension study.Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2016; 14: 46
- Pediatric analgesic clinical trial designs, measures, and extrapolation: Report of an FDA scientific workshop.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 354-364
- The Faces Pain Scale for the self-assessment of the severity of pain experienced by children: Development, initial validation, and preliminary investigation for ratio scale properties.Pain. 1990; 41: 139-150
- Lack of efficacy of manual therapy in children and adolescents with suspected cervicogenic headache: Results of a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, and blinded trial.Headache. 2010; 50: 224-230
- Treatment of pediatric migraine headaches: A randomized, double-blind trial of prochlorperazine versus ketorolac.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43: 256-262
- Clinical assessment and management of chronic pain and pain-associated disability syndrome.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1998; 19: 45-53
- Pediatricians' attitudes toward randomized controlled trials involving children.J Pediatr. 2002; 141: 798-803
- Clinical trials in children.Lancet. 2004; 364: 803-811
- Temperament and stress response in children with juvenile primary fibromyalgia syndrome.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 2923-2930
- Deficiencies in reporting of statistical methodology in recent randomized trials of nonpharmacologic pain treatments: ACTTION systematic review.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 72: 56-65
- Managing chronic pain in children and adolescents. We need to address the embarrassing lack of data for this common problem.BMJ. 2003; 326: 1408-1409
- Checklist for the preparation and review of pain clinical trial publications: A pain-specific supplement to CONSORT.Pain Rep. 2017; 621 (e): 1-8
- Reporting of missing data and methods used to accommodate them in recent analgesic clinical trials: ACTTION systematic review and recommendations.Pain. 2014; 155: 1871-1877
- Data interpretation in analgesic clinical trials with statistically nonsignificant primary analyses: An ACTTION systematic review.J Pain. 2015; 16: 3-10
- Reporting of primary analyses and multiplicity adjustment in recent analgesic clinical trials: ACTTION systematic review and recommendations.Pain. 2014; 155: 461-466
- Reporting of adverse events and statistical details of efficacy estimates in randomized clinical trials of pain in temporomandibular disorders: Analgesic, Anesthetic, and Addiction Clinical Trial Translations, Innovations, Opportunities, and Networks systematic review.JADA. 2015; 146: 246-254 e6
- A prospective randomized double blind placebo controlled crossover study of fluoxetine efficacy in the prophylaxis of chronic daily headache in children and adolescents.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2005; 63: 559-563
- The epidemiology of pain in children and adolescents: A review.Pain. 1991; 46: 247-264
- Adverse event reporting in nonpharmacologic, noninterventional pain clinical trials: ACTTION systematic review.Pain. 2014; 155: 2253-2262
- Better reporting of harms in randomized trials: An extension of the CONSORT statement.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 781-788
- Clinical trials in children.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2015; 79: 357-369
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for the treatment of juvenile fibromyalgia: A multisite, single-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 297-305
- The epidemiology of chronic pain in children and adolescents revisited: A systematic review.Pain. 2011; 152: 2729-3738
- Yoga therapy for abdominal pain-related functional gastrointestinal disorders in children: A randomized controlled trial.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016; 63: 481-487
- The effectiveness of hospitalization in the treatment of paediatric idiopathic headache patients.Psychopathology. 2007; 40: 1-7
- High-dose riboflavin for migraine prophylaxis in children: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.J Child Neurol. 2008; 23: 1300-1304
- Core outcome domains and measures for pediatric acute and chronic/recurrent pain clinical trials: PedIMMPACT recommendations.J Pain. 2008; 9: 771-783
Palermo TM, Kashikar-Zuck S, Friedrichsdorf SJ, Powers SW: Special considerations in conducting clinical trials of chronic pain management interventions in children and adolescents and their families. Pain Reports. ACTTION Special Issue on Clinical Trials of Pain Treatments. e659, 2018
- A randomized controlled trial of a cognitive-behavioral family intervention for pediatric recurrent abdominal pain.J Pediatr Psychol. 2005; 30: 397-408
- Multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of amitriptyline in children with functional gastrointestinal disorders.Gastroenterology. 2009; 137: 1261-1269
- The consequences of pain in early life: Injury-induced plasticity in developing pain pathways.Eur J Neurosci. 2014; 39: 344-352
- Adherence to CONSORT harms-reporting recommendations in publications of recent analgesic clinical trials: An ACTTION systematic review.Pain. 2012; 153: 2415-2421
- Adverse event assessment, analysis, and reporting in recent published analgesic clinical trials: ACTTION systematic review and recommendations.Pain. 2013; 154: 997-1008
- Discrepancies between registered and published primary outcome specifications in analgesic trials: ACTTION systematic review and recommendations.Pain. 2013; 154: 2769-2774
- A randomized trial of telephone-based motivational interviewing for adolescent chronic headache with medication overuse.Cephalalgia. 2014; 34: 446-454
- Guidance for industry patient-reported outcome measures: Use in medical product development to support labeling claims.(Available at:)Accessed May 8, 2018)
- Central sensitization: Implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-S15
- Pediatric pain: Current status and new directions.Current Problems in Pediatrics. 1990; 20: 409-486
- Early life programming of pain: Focus on neuroimmune to endocrine communication.J Transl Med. 2016; 14: 123
M.R.C. and J.Y.C contributed equally to this work
Disclosures: Financial support for this project was provided by the ACTTION public–private partnership, which has received research contracts, grants, or other revenue from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), multiple pharmaceutical and device companies, philanthropy, and other sources. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and no official endorsement by the FDA or the pharmaceutical and device companies that provided unrestricted grants to support the activities of the ACTTION public–private partnership should be inferred.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose related to the subject matter of this article.