- •The Opioid Risk Tool was evaluated on pain patients with and without an opioid use disorder.
- •The opioid Risk Tool was able to discriminate between patients with and without opioid use disorders (odds ratio, 1.624).
- •An Opioid Risk Tool removing the preadolescent sexual abuse item had similar results (odds ratio, 1.648).
- •An unweighted Opioid Risk Tool without the sexual abuse item was superior (odds ratio, 3.085).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Guideline for opioid therapy and chronic noncancer pain.CMAJ. 2017; 189: E659-E666https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.170363
- The DIRE score: Predicting outcomes of opioid prescribing for chronic pain.J Pain. 2006; 7: 671-681
- Validation of a screener and opioid assessment measure for patients with chronic pain.Pain. 2004; 112: 65-75
- Development and validation of the Current Opioid Misuse Measure.Pain. 2007; 130: 144-156
- Opioid therapy in patients with chronic noncancer pain: Diagnostic and clinical challenges.Adv Psychosom Med. 2011; 30: 61-91https://doi.org/10.1159/000324067
- Aberrant behaviors in a primary care-based cohort of patients with chronic pain identified as misusing prescription opioids.J Opioid Manag. 2013; 9: 315-324https://doi.org/10.5055/jom.2013.0174
Cheatle MD, O'Brien CP, Berrentini W, Turk D, Webster LR: Clinical and genetic characteristics of opioid addiction in chronic pain. NIH/NIDA R01 DA032776-05
- Research gaps on use of opioids for chronic noncancer pain: Findings from a review of the evidence for an American Pain Society and American Academy of Pain Medicine clinical practice guideline.J Pain. 2009; 10: 147-159https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2008.10.007
- American Pain Society-American Academy of Pain Medicine Opioids Guidelines Panel. Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain.J Pain. 2009; 10: 113-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2008.10.008
- Re-assessing the validity of the Opioid Risk Tool in a tertiary academic pain management center population.Pain Med. 2018; 19: 1382-1395https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnx332
- Syndemic risk classes and substance use problems among adults in high-risk urban areas: A latent class analysis.Front Public Health. 2017; 5: 237-249https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2017.00237
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 1994
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain — United States, 2016.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016; 65: 1-49
- Guidelines for the chronic use of opioid analgesics. 2017.https://www.fsmb.org/globalassets/advocacy/policies/opioid_guidelines_as_adopted_april-2017_final.pdf
- Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults. The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 14: 245-258
- Opioid Analgesia.McGraw-Hill, New York2004
- Factors associated with prescription opioid misuse in a cross-sectional cohort of patients with chronic non-cancer pain.J Pain Res. 2017; 10: 979-987https://doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S131979
- Society of Behavioral Medicine Health Policy Committee: Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM) position statement: Improving access to psychosocial care for individuals with persistent pain: Supporting the National Pain Strategy's call for interdisciplinary pain care.Transl Behav Med. 2018; 8: 305-308
- Increases in prescription opioid injection abuse among treatment admissions in the United States, 2004-2013.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017; 176: 89-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.03.011
- Further validation of an opioid risk assessment tool: The Brief Risk Interview.J Opioid Manage. 2014; 10: 353-364
- Validation of a new risk assessment tool: The Brief Risk Questionnaire.J Opioid Manage. 2015; 11: 171-183
- A comparison of various risk screening methods in predicting discharge from opioid treatment.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 93-100https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e318225da9e
- Preliminary data on a new opioid risk assessment measure: The Brief Risk Interview.J Opioid Manage. 2013; 9: 19-27
- A comparison of methods of administering the Opioid Risk Tool.J Opioid Manage. 2011; 7: 347-351
- Further validation of an opioid risk assessment tool: The Brief Risk Questionnaire.Ann Psychiatry Ment Health. 2015; 3: 1032-1039
- Childhood sexual abuse and adult psychiatric and substance use disorders in women: An epidemiological and cotwin control analysis.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000; 57: 953-959
- A comparison of common screening methods for predicting aberrant drug-related behavior among patients receiving opioids for chronic pain management.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 1426-1433https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2009.00743.x
- Abuse liability measures for use in analgesic clinical trials in patients with pain: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2013; 154: 2324-2334https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2013.06.035
- The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): The development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59: 22-33
- Instruments to identify prescription medication misuse, abuse, and related events in clinical trials: An ACTTION systematic review.J Pain. 2015; 16: 389-411https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2015.01.009
- Predicting aberrant behaviors in opioid-treated patients: Preliminary validation of the Opioid Risk Tool.Pain Med. 2005; 6: 432-442
- Risk factors for opioid-use disorder and overdose.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 1741-1748
- VA/DoD Clinical practice guideline for opioid therapy for chronic pain.Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense, Office of Quality and Performance, 2017
Supported by the National Institutes of Health [NIH/NIDA R01 DA032776-05] (Cheatle, O'Brien), The Patrick and Catherine Weldon Donaghue Medical Research Foundation, and The New York Community Trust (Dhingra) and the van Ameringen Endowed Chair (Compton).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.