- •We studied individuals who self-medicate pain with over-the-counter analgesics.
- •Prevalence of headache was high.
- •Prevalence of long-standing, frequent, and disabling pain was high.
- •Participants had substantial concerns about their pain medication.
- Cost of healthcare for patients with migraine in five European countries: Results from the International Burden of Migraine Study (IBMS).J Headache Pain. 2012; 13: 361-378
- Predictive factors of self-medicated analgesic use in Spanish adults: A cross-sectional national study.BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2014; 15: 36
- Underdiagnosis and undertreatment of migraine in Italy: A survey of patients attending for the first time 10 headache centres.Cephalalgia. 2009; 29: 1285-1293
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 328 diseases and injuries for 195 countries, 1990-2016: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet. 2017; 390: 1211-1259
European Brain Council. Value of treatment: Policy White Paper. Available at: http://www.braincouncil.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/EBC_white_policy_paper_DEF26072017_Low.pdf
- Prophylaxis of migraine: General principles and patient acceptance.Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2008; 4: 1155-1167
- Prevalence of use of non-prescription analgesics in the Norwegian HUNT3 population: Impact of gender, age, exercise and prescription of opioids.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 461
- Mortality prediction with a single general self-rated health question: A meta-analysis.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 267-275
- Patterns of diagnosis and acute and preventive treatment for migraine in the United States: Results from the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention study.Headache. 2007; 47: 355-363
- "Just Advil": Harm reduction and identity construction in the consumption of over-the-counter medication for chronic pain.Soc Sci Med. 2015; 146: 147-154
- The necessity-concerns framework predicts adherence to medication in multiple illness conditions: A meta-analysis.Patient Educ Couns. 2016; 99: 706-717
- Patients' knowledge about analgesic-antipyretic medications purchased in community pharmacies: A descriptive study.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2015; 29: 334-340
- Cost of disorders of the brain in Europe 2010.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011; 21: 718-779
- Understanding patients' adherence-related beliefs about medicines prescribed for long-term conditions: A meta-analytic review of the Necessity-Concerns Framework.PloS one. 2013; 8: e80633
- Prevalence and correlates of exceeding the labeled maximum dose of acetaminophen among adults in a U.S.-based internet survey.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 1280-1288
- GPs' classification of headache: Is primary headache underdiagnosed?.Br J Gen Pract. 2008; 58: 102-104
- Potential validity of conducting research on headache in internet populations.Headache. 2002; 42: 200-203
- A rating system for use with patient pain drawings.Pain. 1986; 24: 57-65
- Concerns about medication and medication use in chronic pain.J Pain. 2006; 7: 726-734
- The heterogeneity of headache patients who self-medicate: A cluster analysis approach.Pain. 2016; 157: 1464-1471
- Patient characteristics among users of analgesic over-the-counter aspirin in a Danish pharmacy setting.Int J Clin Pharm. 2014; 36: 693-696
- Prevalence, trends, patterns and associations of analgesic use in Germany.BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2015; 16: 28
- Patterns of acetaminophen medication use associated with exceeding the recommended maximum daily dose.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2015; 24: 915-921
- Using a graphical risk tool to examine willingness to take migraine prophylactic medications.Pain. 2016; 157: 2226-2234
- Grading the severity of chronic pain.Pain. 1992; 50: 133-149
- Patterns of use and public perception of over-the-counter pain relievers: Focus on nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs.J Rheumatol. 2005; 32: 2218-2224
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.