- •Patients with fibromyalgia and healthy controls performed a battery of attention tasks.
- •Participants completed the tasks once during induced cuff pain and once without.
- •Pain induction primarily affected attention span performance.
- •Patients with fibromyalgia had poorer performance on the divided attention task.
- •Chronic pain and induced acute pain have different effects on attention.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- An integrated model of cognitive control in task switching.Psychol Rev. 2008; 115: 602-639
- The disruptive effects of pain on n-back task performance in a large general population sample.Pain. 2015; 156: 1885-1891
- Meta-analysis of cognitive performance in fibromyalgia.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2018; : 1-17
- Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromyalgia.Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2009; 35: 215-232
- Evidence for working memory deficits in chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2013; 154: 1181-1196,
- Do people with chronic pain have impaired executive function? A meta-analytical review.Clin Psychol Rev. 2014; 34: 563-579
Boselie JJ, Vancleef LM, Smeets T, Peters MLJP: Increasing optimism abolishes pain-induced impairments in executive task performancePain155:334-340, 2014
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005–2008.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1179-1194
- Quantitative Psychological Research: A Student's Handbook.Psychology Press, Hove, UK2004
- Attentional disruption is enhanced by the threat of pain.Behav Res Ther. 1998; 36: 195-204
- Testing factorial validity and gender invariance of the pain catastrophizing scale.J Behav Med. 2004; 27: 361-372
- Laser-evoked potentials habituation in fibromyalgia.J Pain. 2011; 12: 116-124
- Fibromyalgia: A retrospective study of 252 consecutive referrals.Can J Clin Med. 1998; 5: 116-127
- Pain demands attention: A cognitive–affective model of the interruptive function of pain.Psychol Bull. 1999; 125: 356-366
- Alteration in pain modulation in women with persistent pain after lumpectomy: Influence of catastrophizing.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013; 46: 30-42
- Race and sex differences in primary appraisals, catastrophizing, and experimental pain outcomes.J Pain. 2011; 12: 563-572
- Understanding fibromyalgia and its related disorders.Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2008; 10: 133-144
- Performance of the Patient‐Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System 29‐Item Profile in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.Arthritis Care Res. 2017; 69: 1312-1321
- The effects of menstrual-related pain on attentional interference.Pain. 2014; 155: 821-827
- The somatosensory link in fibromyalgia: Functional connectivity of the primary somatosensory cortex is altered by sustained pain and is associated with clinical/autonomic dysfunction.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015; 67: 1395-1405
- Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States: Part II.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 26-35
- Cognitive and dissociative manifestations in fibromyalgia.JCR J Clin Rheumatol. 2002; 8: 77-84
- Neuropsychological Assessment,.4th ed. Oxford University Press, New York2004
- Fibromyalgia syndrome: Review of clinical presentation, pathogenesis, outcome measures, and treatment.J Rheumatol. 2005; 75: 6-21
- Sex and race differences in pain sensitization among patients with chronic low back pain.J Pain. 2018; 19: 1461-1470
- Reconfiguration of processing mode prior to task performance.J Exp Psychol. 1996; 22: 1423-1442
- Attentional processing of faces in ASD: A dot-probe study.J Autism Dev Disord. 2012; 42: 2038-2045
- Cognitive load selectively influences the interruptive effect of pain on attention.Pain. 2017; 158: 2035-2041
- Identifying experimental methods to determine the effect of pain on attention: A review of pain, caffeine, alcohol and nicotine studies.Human Psychopharmacol Clin Exp. 2009; 24: 601-618
- The interuptive effect of pain on attention.Q J Exp Psychol. 2012; 65: 565-586
- The effect of threat on attentional interruption by pain.Pain. 2013; 154: 82-88
- Headache impairs attentional performance.Pain. 2013; 154: 1840-1845
- The disruptive effects of pain on multitasking in a virtual errands task.Scand J Pain. 2017; 93: 385-404
- The effect of pain on cognitive function: A review of clinical and preclinical research.Prog Neurobiol. 2011; 93: 385-404
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Further psychometric evaluation with adult samples.J Behav Med. 2000; 23: 351-365
- Factor structure, reliability, and validity of the Pain Catastrophizing Scale.J Behav Med. 1997; 20: 589-605
- Is pain-related fear a predictor of somatosensory hypervigilance in chronic low back pain patients?.Behav Res Ther. 2002; 40: 85-103
- The relationship between physiological arousal and perceived duration; differential effects of task relevant and task-irrelevant arousal.Emotion. 2018 Sep 27; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Pressure-pain function in desensitized and hypersensitized muscle and skin assessed by cuff algometry.J Pain. 2002; 3: 28-37
- “I just want my life back!”-Men's narratives about living with fibromyalgia.Disabil Rehabil. 2019; 41: 422-429
- Fibromyalgia: From pathophysiology to therapy.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011; 7: 518-527
- E-Prime User's Guide.Psychology Software Tools, Inc, Pittsburgh2001
- Painful after-sensations in fibromyalgia are linked to catastrophizing and differences in brain response in the medial temporal lobe.J Pain. 2017; 18: 855-867
- Habituation and sensitization to heat and cold pain in women with fibromyalgia and healthy controls.Pain. 2008; 140: 420-428
- Attentional modulation fails to attenuate the subjective pain experience in chronic, unexplained pain.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14 (e281-282. e210): 282
- Slow temporal summation of pain for assessment of central pain sensitivity and clinical pain of fibromyalgia patients.PloS One. 2014; 9: e89086
- Effectiveness of multidisciplinary rehabilitation treatment for patients with chronic pain in a primary health care unit.Scand J Pain. 2013; 4: 190-197
- Applied Multivariate Statistics in the Social Sciences.3rd ed. Routledge, LEA, New Jersey1996
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Behavioral and neuronal investigations of hypervigilance in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.PloS One. 2012; 7: e35068
- Identifying important outcome domains for chronic pain clinical trials: An IMMPACT survey of people with pain.Pain. 2008; 137: 276-285
- Task interference and distraction efficacy in patients with fibromyalgia: An experimental investigation.Pain. 2018; 159: 1119-1126
- The Interruptive Effect of Pain on Attention.J Pain. 2006; 7: 21-22
- Pain Catastrophizing, but not injury/illness sensitivity or anxiety sensitivity, enhances attentional interference by pain.J Pain. 2006; 7: 23-30
- Traumatic brain injury.in: Adams R.L. Parsons O.A. Culbertson J.L. Nixon SJ Neuropsychology for clinical practice Etiology, assessment and treatment of common neurological disorders. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC1996: 9-64
- La fibromialgia.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010; 62: 600-610
- The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010; 62: 600-610
This research is partially supported by an unrestricted grant for research from Purdue Pharmaceutical.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.