- •WNK1 was upregulated in the bone cancer pain (BCP) rat model.
- •WNK1-SPAK/OSR1-NKCC1/KCC2 signaling contributed to BCP in rats.
- •Intrathecal WNK1 siRNA or closantel attenuated pain behavior of BCP rats.
- •The WNK1 pathway may be a potential therapeutic target for BCP.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pathogenesis of spinal cord injury induced edema and neuropathic pain: Expression of multiple isoforms of wnk1.Ann Neurosci. 2014; 21: 97-103
- Rafoxanide and closantel inhibit SPAK and OSR1 kinases by binding to a highly conserved allosteric site on their C-terminal domains.ChemMedChem. 2017; 12: 639-645
- Recent developments in the study of spinal cord injury and neuropathic Pain.Ann Neurosci. 2007; 14: 96-107
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Alleviating bone cancer-induced mechanical hypersensitivity by inhibiting neuronal activity in the anterior cingulate cortex.Anesthesiology. 2016; 125: 779-792
- Challenges in cancer pain management–bone pain.Eur J Cancer. 2008; 44: 1083-1090
- The WNK-regulated SPAK/OSR1 kinases directly phosphorylate and inhibit the K+-Cl- co-transporters.Biochem J. 2014; 458: 559-573
- SPAK and OSR1: STE20 kinases involved in the regulation of ion homoeostasis and volume control in mammalian cells.Biochem J. 2008; 409: 321-331
- Randomized double-blind trial of pregabalin versus placebo in conjunction with palliative radiotherapy for cancer-induced bone pain.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 550-556
- The transcription factor FOXF1 promotes prostate cancer by stimulating the mitogen-activated protein kinase ERK5.Sci Signal. 2016; 9: ra48
- Advances in understanding bone cancer pain.J Cell Biochem. 2005; 96: 682-688
- Activation of spinal TDAG8 and its downstream PKA signaling pathway contribute to bone cancer pain in rats.Eur J Neurosci. 2012; 36: 2107-2117
- Role of NKCC1 and KCC2 in the development of chronic neuropathic pain following spinal cord injury.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010; 1198: 168-172
- Analgesic effect of intrathecal bumetanide is accompanied by changes in spinal sodium-potassium-chloride co-transporter 1 and potassium-chloride co-transporter 2 expression in a rat model of incisional pain.Neural Regen Res. 2014; 9: 1055-1062
- MCP-1 stimulates spinal microglia via PI3K/Akt pathway in bone cancer pain.Brain Res. 2015; 1599: 158-167
- Phosphoregulation of the Na-K-2Cl and K-Cl cotransporters by the WNK kinases.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010; 1802: 1150-1158
- WNK protein kinases modulate cellular Cl- flux by altering the phosphorylation state of the Na-K-Cl and K-Cl cotransporters.Physiology. 2006; 21: 326-335
- Inhibition of the kinase WNK1/HSN2 ameliorates neuropathic pain by restoring GABA inhibition.Sci Signal. 2016; 9: ra32
- Oxycodone-induced analgesic effects in a bone cancer pain model in mice.Oncology. 2008; 74: 55-60
- Discovery of novel SPAK inhibitors that block WNK kinase signaling to cation chloride transporters.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 26: 1525-1536
- Emerging role of WNK1 in pathologic central nervous system signaling.Ann Neurosci. 2011; 18: 70-75
- Perspective of future drugs targeting sterile 20/SPS1-related proline/alanine-rich kinase for blood pressure control.World J Cardiol. 2015; 7: 306-310
- IL-18 contributes to bone cancer pain by regulating glia cells and neuron interaction.J Pain. 2018; 19: 186-195
- Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method.Methods. 2001; 25: 402-408
- Carriers of recessive WNK1/HSN2 mutations for hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy type 2 (HSAN2) are more sensitive to thermal stimuli.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 2162-2166
- WNK1 regulates phosphorylation of cation-chloride-coupled cotransporters via the STE20-related kinases, SPAK and OSR1.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 42685-42693
- Chloride regulation in the pain pathway.Brain Res Rev. 2009; 60: 149-170
- Activation of the thiazide-sensitive Na+-Cl- cotransporter by the WNK-regulated kinases SPAK and OSR1.J Cell Sci. 2008; 121: 675-684
- Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative C(T) method.Nat Protocol. 2008; 3: 1101-1108
- A functional role for VEGFR1 expressed in peripheral sensory neurons in cancer pain.Cancer Cell. 2015; 27: 780-796
- Mutations in the nervous system–specific HSN2 exon of WNK1 cause hereditary sensory neuropathy type II.J Clin Invest. 2008; 118: 2496-2505
- miR-93 inhibits the invasive potential of triple-negative breast cancer cells in vitro via protein kinase WNK1.Int J Oncol. 2016; 49: 2629-2636
- Clinicopathological effects of protein phosphatase 2, regulatory subunit A, alpha mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumors.Mod Pathol. 2016; 29: 1424-1432
- Prevalence of pain in patients with cancer: A systematic review of the past 40 years.Ann Oncol. 2007; 18: 1437-1449
- The WNK1 and WNK4 protein kinases that are mutated in Gordon's hypertension syndrome phosphorylate and activate SPAK and OSR1 protein kinases.Biochem J. 2005; 391: 17-24
- Functional interactions of the SPAK/OSR1 kinases with their upstream activator WNK1 and downstream substrate NKCC1.Biochem J. 2006; 397: 223-231
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activation in a rat model of cancer-induced bone pain.J Neurosci Res. 2012; 90: 1249-1260
- Development and regulation of chloride homeostasis in the central nervous system.Front Cell Neurosci. 2015; 9: 371
- Pre- and post-synaptic switches of GABA actions associated with Cl- homeostatic changes are induced in the spinal nucleus of the trigeminal nerve in a rat model of trigeminal neuropathic pain.Neuroscience. 2013; 228: 334-348
- Human hypertension caused by mutations in WNK kinases.Science. 2001; 293: 1107-1112
- WNK1, a novel mammalian serine/threonine protein kinase lacking the catalytic lysine in subdomain II.J Biol Chem. 2000; 275: 16795-16801
- WNK1: Analysis of protein kinase structure, downstream targets, and potential roles in hypertension.Cell Res. 2005; 15: 6-10
- Activation of toll like receptor 4 attenuates GABA synthesis and postsynaptic GABA receptor activities in the spinal dorsal horn via releasing interleukin-1 beta.J Neuroinflammation. 2015; 12: 222
- [Feasibility of establishment of rat model of bone cancer pain by using Walker 256 cells cultured in vitro or in vivo].Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2008; 88: 880-884
- The role of spinal GABAB receptors in cancer-induced bone pain in rats.J Pain. 2017; 18: 933-946
- WNK1-OSR1 kinase-mediated phospho-activation of Na+-K+-2Cl- cotransporter facilitates glioma migration.Mol Cancer. 2014; 13: 31
- Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals.Pain. 1983; 16: 109-110
J.G., K.P., and M.S. contributed equally.
The study was supported by the National Science Foundation of China (No. 81471136 and 81601659). All authors declared there were no conflict of interests involved.