- •Research on the prevalence and co-occurrence of common pain conditions is needed
- •ICD-10-CM introduced challenges to assessing pain condition prevalence over time
- •We developed an ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM crosswalk for common pain conditions
- •It was assessed based on stability of prevalence estimates and patient demographics
- •Offers a standard tool for health services and epidemiologic research on pain
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Use of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9-CM) to identify hospitalizations for mechanical low back problems in administrative databases.Spine. 1992; 17: 817-825
- Impact of Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions on Public Health and the Urgent Need for Safe and Effective Treatment, Chronic Pain Research Alliance.2015
- Prevalence of chronic pain and high-impact chronic pain among adults – United States, 2016.Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 1001-1006
- Interdisciplinary team-based care for patients with chronic pain on long-term opioid treatment in primary care (PPACT) –Protocol for a pragmatic cluster randomized trial.Contemp Clin Trials. 2018; 67: 91-99
- The ACTTION-American Pain Society Pain Taxonomy (AAPT): An evidence-based and multidimensional approach to classifying chronic pain conditions.J Pain. 2014; 15: 241-249
- Preparing for the ICD-10-CM transition: automated methods for translating ICD codes in clinical phenotype definitions.EGEMS. 2016; 4: 1211
- The musculoskeletal diagnosis cohort: Examining pain and pain care among veterans.Pain. 2016; 157: 1696-1703
- Pain among veterans of operations enduring freedom and Iraqi freedom: Do women and men differ?.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 1167-1173
- Persistent pain and comorbidity among operation enduring freedom/operation Iraqi freedom/operation new dawn veterans.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 782-790
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education and Research Washington DC.2011
- National Pain Strategy: A Comprehensive Population Health-Level Strategy by Pain.2015
- Overlapping chronic pain conditions: Implications for diagnosis and classification.J Pain. 2016; 17: T93-T107
- Prevalence and profile of high-impact chronic pain in the United States.J Pain. 2018;
- International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM).2017 (Available at:)Accessed March 2, 2017)
- International Classification of Diseases, (ICD-10-CM/PCS) Transition – Background.2018 (Available at:)Accessed August 10, 2018)
- Chronic use of opioid medications before and after bariatric surgery.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1369-1376
- Multimorbidity and its measurement.Health Policy. 2011; 103: 3-8
- Using electronic health records data to identify patients with chronic pain in a primary care setting.J Am Med Inf Assoc: JAMIA. 2013; 20: e275-e280
- A classification of chronic pain for ICD-11.Pain. 2015; 156: 1003-1007
- United States National Pain Strategy for Population Research: Concepts, definitions, and pilot data.J Pain. 2016; 17: 1068-1080
- Risk-adjusted medicare capitation rates using ambulatory and inpatient diagnoses.Healthcare Financ Rev. 1996; 17: 77-99
- Comparing chronic condition rates using ICD-9 and ICD-10 in VA patients FY2014-2016.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 572
Funding: The study is supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Common Fund, through a cooperative agreement (UH2AT007788, UH3NS088731) from the Office of Strategic Coordination within the Office of the NIH Director. The views presented here are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
Disclosure: No conflicts of interest exist for the authors of this manuscript.