- •Experimental thalamic hemorrhage induced bilateral mechanical allodynia in rats.
- •Central poststroke pain (CPSP) rats exhibited reduced epoxyeicosatrienoic acid (EET), steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein, allopregnanolone (AP), and δ-subunit-containing gamma-aminobutyric acid A receptor (δGABAAR) levels along the lesion site.
- •14,15-EET attenuated mechanical allodynia by enhancing StAR-AP-δGABAAR signaling.
- •14,15-EET showed greater efficacy in the secondary prevention for CPSP than gabapentin.
- •Epoxyeicosatrienoic acids attenuated CPSP by reserving thalamic inhibition through AP-δGABAAR signaling.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epoxyeicosatrienoic acids enhance axonal growth in primary sensory and cortical neuronal cell cultures.J Neurochem. 2011; 117: 632-642
- Systematic review of central post stroke pain: What is happening in the central nervous system?.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 95: 618-627
- Pharmacological enhancement of delta-subunit-containing GABA(A) receptors that generate a tonic inhibitory conductance in spinal neurons attenuates acute nociception in mice.Pain. 2011; 152: 1317-1326
- Soluble epoxide hydrolase limits mechanical hyperalgesia during inflammation.Mol Pain. 2011; 7: 78
- Neurosteroid structure-activity relationships for functional activation of extrasynaptic deltaGABA(A) receptors.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2016; 357: 188-204
- Psychophysical and cerebral responses to heat stimulation in patients with central pain, painless central sensory loss, and in healthy persons.Pain. 2012; 153: 331-341
- Bilateral central pain sensitization in rats following a unilateral thalamic lesion may be treated with high doses of ketamine.BMC Vet Res. 2013; 9: 59
- GABAA receptor alpha 4 subunits mediate extrasynaptic inhibition in thalamus and dentate gyrus and the action of gaboxadol.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006; 103: 15230-15235
- The antalgic effects of non-invasive physical modalities on central post-stroke pain: A systematic review.J Phys Ther Sci. 2016; 28: 1368-1373
- Hormonal and developmental regulation of the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein.Mol Endocrinol. 1995; 9: 1346-1355
- Neuropathic pain: Mechanisms and their clinical implications.BMJ. 2014; 348: f7656
- Animal models for central poststroke pain: A critical comprehensive review.Pain. 2017; 158: 17-29
- Use of a soluble epoxide hydrolase inhibitor as an adjunctive analgesic in a horse with laminitis.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2013; 40: 440-448
- Development and pharmacological verification of a new mouse model of central post-stroke pain.Neurosci Res. 2014; 78: 72-80
- Arachidonic-acid-derived eicosanoids: Roles in biology and immunopathology.Trends Mol Med. 2008; 14: 461-469
- Cytochrome P450 eicosanoids and cerebral vascular function.Expert Rev Mol Med. 2011; 13: e7
- Soluble epoxide hydrolase and epoxyeicosatrienoic acids modulate two distinct analgesic pathways.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008; 105: 18901-18906
- Epoxy fatty acids and inhibition of the soluble epoxide hydrolase selectively modulate GABA mediated neurotransmission to delay onset of seizures.Plos One. 2013; 8: e80922
- Lesions limited to the human thalamic principal somatosensory nucleus (ventral caudal) are associated with loss of cold sensations and central pain.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 4995-5004
- Pharmacological management of central post-stroke pain: a practical guide.CNS Drugs. 2014; 28: 787-797
- Central post-stroke pain: Clinical characteristics, pathophysiology, and management.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 857-868
- Pain following stroke: A population-based follow-up study.Plos One. 2011; 6: e27607
- Targeting P(2)X(7) receptor for the treatment of central post-stroke pain in a rodent model.Neurobiol Dis. 2015; 78: 134-145
- Central post-stroke pain: Current evidence.J Neurol Sci. 2009; 284: 10-17
- Enhanced activities of delta subunit-containing gabaa receptors blocked spinal long-term potentiation and attenuated formalin-induced spontaneous pain.Neuroscience. 2018; 371: 155-165
- P450 eicosanoids and reactive oxygen species interplay in brain injury and neuroprotection.Antioxid Redox Signal. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2017.7056
- Epoxyeicosanoid signaling provides multi-target protective effects on neurovascular unit in rats after focal ischemia.J Mol Neurosci. 2016; 58: 254-265
- Polyunsaturated fatty acid deficiency during neurodevelopment in mice models the prodromal state of schizophrenia through epigenetic changes in nuclear receptor genes.Transl Psychiatry. 2017; 7: e1229
- Neurosteroid synthesis-mediated regulation of GABA(A) receptors: relevance to the ovarian cycle and stress.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 2155-2162
- Ovarian cycle-linked changes in GABA(A) receptors mediating tonic inhibition alter seizure susceptibility and anxiety.Nat Neurosci. 2005; 8: 797-804
- Distribution of soluble and microsomal epoxide hydrolase in the mouse brain and its contribution to cerebral epoxyeicosatrienoic acid metabolism.Neuroscience. 2009; 163: 646-661
- Neurosteroids as neuroprotectors of pain neural pathways.Eur Neuropsychopharm. 2016; 262: S122-S123
- Mitochondrial processing of newly synthesized steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR), but not total StAR, mediates cholesterol transfer to cytochrome P450 side chain cleavage enzyme in adrenal cells.J Biol Chem. 2001; 276: 46583-46596
- Mechanism of StAR's regulation of mitochondrial cholesterol import.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007; 265-266: 46-50
- Thalamic thermo-algesic transmission: ventral posterior (VP) complex versus VMpo in the light of a thalamic infarct with central pain.Pain. 2005; 113: 223-232
- Potential role of allopregnanolone for a safe and effective therapy of neuropathic pain.Prog Neurobiol. 2014; 113: 70-78
- Functional brain imaging: what has it brought to our understanding of neuropathic pain? A special focus on allodynic pain mechanisms.Pain. 2016; 157: S67-S71
- A multimodal disease modifying approach to treat neuropathic pain–inhibition of soluble epoxide hydrolase (sEH).Drug Discov Today. 2015; 20: 1382-1390
- Neurosteroids: Endogenous role in the human brain and therapeutic potentials.Prog Brain Res. 2010; 186: 113-137
- Effect of 20-HETE inhibition on infarct volume and cerebral blood flow after transient middle cerebral artery occlusion.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2009; 29: 629-639
- Implication of allopregnanolone in the antinociceptive effect of N-palmitoylethanolamide in acute or persistent pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 33-41
- Control of oxygenation in lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase catalysis.Chem Biol. 2007; 14: 473-488
- Targeting brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the medial thalamus for the treatment of central poststroke pain in a rodent model.Pain. 2017; 158: 1302-1313
- Antiepileptic drugs for central post-stroke pain management.Pharmacol Res. 2012; 65: 171-175
- Neuroactive steroids reduce neuronal excitability by selectively enhancing tonic inhibition mediated by delta subunit-containing GABAA receptors.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 14439-14444
- Epoxy fatty acids mediate analgesia in murine diabetic neuropathy.Eur J Pain. 2017; 21: 456-465
- The involvement of epoxygenase metabolites of arachidonic acid in cAMP-stimulated steroidogenesis and steroidogenic acute regulatory protein gene expression.J Endocrinol. 2006; 190: 871-878
- Development and characterization of a hemorrhagic rat model of central post-stroke pain.Neuroscience. 2009; 161: 173-183
- Insular balance of glutamatergic and GABAergic signaling modulates pain processing.Pain. 2016; 157: 2194-2207
- Genetic deletion or pharmacological inhibition of soluble epoxide hydrolase reduces brain damage and attenuates neuroinflammation after intracerebral hemorrhage.J Neuroinflammation. 2017; 14: 230
- Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma by a 12/15-lipoxygenase product of arachidonic acid: a possible neuroprotective effect in the brain after experimental intracerebral hemorrhage.J Neurosurg. 2017; 127: 522-531
- Gabapentinoid insensitivity after repeated administration is associated with down-regulation of the alpha(2)delta-1 subunit in rats with central post-stroke pain hypersensitivity.Neurosci Bull. 2016; 32: 41-50
- Decreased surface expression of the delta subunit of the GABAA receptor contributes to reduced tonic inhibition in dentate granule cells in a mouse model of fragile X syndrome.Exp Neurol. 2017; 297: 168-178
- Soluble epoxide hydrolase gene deletion is protective against experimental cerebral ischemia.Stroke. 2008; 39: 2073-2078
- Inhibition of soluble epoxide hydrolase augments astrocyte release of vascular endothelial growth factor and neuronal recovery after oxygen-glucose deprivation.J Neurochem. 2017; 140: 814-825
Supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 81600965).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.