- •Perceived injustice could be construed as a dispositional variable.
- •Trait perceived injustice might reflect tendencies to see adverse events as unjust.
- •Trait perceived injustice was associated with higher ratings of pain intensity.
- •Trait perceived injustice was associated with pronounced displays of pain behavior.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Inequity in social exchange.in: Berkowitz L Advances in Experimental social psychology. Academic Press, New York, NY1965 (pp 272-283)
- Trait-names: A psycho-lexical study.Psychol Monogr. 1936; 47: i-171
- Anger expression and pain: an overview of findings and possible mechanisms.J Behav Med. 2006; 29: 593-606
- Trait anger and blood pressure recovery following acute pain: Evidence for opioid-mediated effects.Int J Behav Med. 2006; 13: 138-146
- Trait anger expressiveness and pain-induced beta-endorphin release: Support for the opioid dysfunction hypothesis.Pain. 2007; 130: 208-215
- Cognitive behavior modification of mood disorders.in: Foreyt JP Rathjen DP Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Research and Application. Springer, Boston, MA1978: 109-134
- Psychological aspects of retributive justice.Advances in Experimental Social Psychology. Academic Press, 2008 (, Dublin, Ireland: Elsevier.)
- The function of punishment in the “civil” commitment of sexually violent predators.Behav Sci Law. 2007; 25: 437-448
- On the dimensionality of organizational justice: A construct validation of a measure.J Appl Psychol. 2001; 86: 386-400
- distributive justice, equity, and equality.Annu Rev Sociol. 1983; 9: 217-241
- Construct validity in psychological tests.Psychol Bull. 1955; 52: 281-302
- The world is more just for me than generally: About the personal belief in a just world scale's validity.Soc Just Res. 1999; 12: 79-98
- Glaube an eine gerechte Welt als Motiv: Validierungskorrelate zweier Skalen.Psychol Beitr. 1987; 29: 596-615
- Citizens' sense of justice and the legal system.Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2001; 10: 10-13
- State–trait anger theory and the utility of the trait anger scale.J Counsel Psychol. 1996; 43: 131
- A disconfirmation bias in the evaluation of arguments.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1996; 71: 5-24
- Perceived injustice in fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.Clin Rheumatol. 2014; 33: 1501-1507
- Belief in a just world: research progress over the past decade.Pers Ind Diff. 2003; 34: 795-817
- Belief in a just world: Review and critique of the individual difference literature.Br J Soc Psychol. 1989; 28: 365-384
- Negative affect and the experience of chronic pain.J Psychosom Res. 1992; 36: 707-713
- Comparisons of catastrophizing, pain attitudes, and cold-pressor pain experience between Chinese and European Canadian young adults.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1187-1194
- The belief in a just world.The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion. Springer, Boston, MA1980: 9-30
- A psychometric and cross-national examination of a belief in a just world scale.J Appl Soc Psychol. 2002; 32: 1396-1406
- Belief in a just world, social influence and illness attributions: Evidence of a just world boomerang effect.J Health Psychol. 2009; 14: 258-266
- Interpersonal forgiving in close relationships: II. Theoretical elaboration and measurement.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1998; 75: 1586-1603
- “It's Not Fair” social justice appraisals in the context of chronic pain.Curr Direct Psychol Sci. 2013; 22: 484-489
- An experimental investigation of the role of perceived justice in acute pain.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 412-422
- Just world beliefs moderate the relationship of pain intensity and disability with psychological distress in chronic pain support group members.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 71-76
- The effects of a recalled injustice on the experience of experimentally induced pain and anxiety in relation to just-world beliefs.Eur J Pain. 2016; 20: 1392-1401
- The role of injustice in the elicitation of differential emotional reactions.Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 1998; 24: 769-783
- Disrespect and the experience of injustice.Ann Rev Psychol. 2001; 52: 527-553
- Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models.Behav Res Methods. 2008; 40: 879-891
- The antecedents and consequences of interpersonal forgiveness: A meta-analytic review.Pers Relationship. 2012; 19: 304-325
- Perceived injustice in fibromyalgia: Psychometric characteristics of the Injustice Experience Questionnaire and relationship with pain catastrophising and pain acceptance.J Psychosom Res. 2012; 73: 86-91
- Emotional intelligence and acute pain: The mediating effect of negative affect.J Pain. 2011; 12: 1190-1196
- Anger differentially mediates the relationship between perceived injustice and chronic pain outcomes.Pain. 2013; 154: 1691-1698
- Further validation of a measure of injury-related injustice perceptions to identify risk for occupational disability: A prospective study of individuals with whiplash injury.J Occup Rehabil. 2013; 23: 557-565
- Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory.Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA1983
- The role of perceived injustice in the experience of chronic pain and disability: Scale development and validation.J Occup Rehabil. 2008; 18: 249-261
- Perceived injustice: A risk factor for problematic pain outcomes.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 484-488
- Perceived injustice and adverse recovery outcomes.Psychol Inj Law. 2014; 7: 325-334
- Communicative dimensions of pain catastrophizing: Social cueing effects on pain behaviour and coping.Pain. 2004; 107: 220-226
- The influence of communication goals and physical demands on different dimensions of pain behavior.Pain. 2006; 125: 270-277
- Perceived injustice is associated with heightened pain behavior and disability in individuals with whiplash injuries.Psychol Inj Law. 2009; 2: 238-247
- Dispositional forgiveness of self, others, and situations.J Pers. 2005; 73: 313-359
- An experimental investigation of the effect of a justice violation on pain experience and expression among individuals with high and low just world beliefs.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 415-423
- The influence of negative emotions on pain: behavioral effects and neural mechanisms.Neuroimage. 2009; 47: 987-994
- The role of perceived injustice in the prediction of pain and function after total knee arthroplasty.Pain. 2014; 155: 2040-2046
- Validation of injustice experiences questionnaire adapted for use with patients with severe osteoarthritis of the knee.J Arthritis. 2014; 3: 130-136
Supported by funds from the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (award number MOP-119542), Canada Research Chairs, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.