- •Tropomyosin receptor kinase B agonist restored impaired noradrenergic descending inhibition in spinal nerve ligation rats.
- •Tropomyosin receptor kinase B agonist did not affect spinal nerve ligation-induced hypersensitivity.
- •A decrease in GABA after painful stimulation contributes to the locus coeruleus activation.
- •Restoration of locus coeruleus responsibility may enhance the analgesic effect of pregabalin.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 7,8-dihydroxyflavone, a TrkB receptor agonist, blocks long-term spatial memory impairment caused by immobilization stress in rats.Hippocampus. 2010; 22: 399-408
- Tricyclic antidepressant amitriptyline indirectly increases the proliferation of adult dentate gyrus-derived neural precursors: An involvement of astrocytes.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e79371
- The role of cardiovascular activity in fibromyalgia and conditioned pain modulation.Pain. 2014; 155: 1064-1069
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Presynaptic GABAergic inhibition regulated by BDNF contributes to neuropathic pain induction.Nat Commun. 2014; 5: 5331
- BDNF from microglia causes the shift in neuronal anion gradient underlying neuropathic pain.Nature. 2005; 438: 1017-1021
- Antidepressants reverse corticosterone-mediated decrease in brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression: Differential regulation of specific exons by antidepressants and corticosterone.Neuroscience. 2006; 139: 1017-1029
- TrkB activation by 7, 8-dihydroxyflavone increases synapse AMPA subunits and ameliorates spatial memory deficits in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease.J Neurochem. 2016; 136: 620-636
- Pain-induced analgesia mediated by mesolimbic reward circuits.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 7175-7181
- Conditioned pain modulation: A predictor for development and treatment of neuropathic pain.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2013; 17: 361
- Gabapentin activates spinal noradrenergic activity in rats and humans and reduces hypersensitivity after surgery.Anesthesiology. 2007; 106 (Available at:): 557-562http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&id=17325515&retmode=ref&cmd=prlinks
- Gabapentin acts within the locus coeruleus to alleviate neuropathic pain.Anesthesiology. 2008; 109 (Available at:): 1077-1084
- Central processing of noxious somatic stimuli in patients with irritable bowel syndrome compared with healthy controls.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 104-109
- Repeated administration of amitriptyline in neuropathic pain: modulation of the noradrenergic descending inhibitory system.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 1281-1288
- Amitriptyline induces brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) mRNA expression through ERK-dependent modulation of multiple BDNF mRNA variants in primary cultured rat cortical astrocytes and microglia.Brain Res. 2016; 1634: 57-67
- Repeated administration of duloxetine suppresses neuropathic pain by accumulating effects of noradrenaline in the spinal cord.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 298-307
- Spinal activation of tropomyosin receptor kinase-b recovers the impaired endogenous analgesia in neuropathic pain rats.Anesth Analg. 2018 Jun 20; ([Epub ahead of print])
- An experimental model for peripheral neuropathy produced by segmental spinal nerve ligation in the rat.Pain. 1992; 50 (Available at:): 355-363http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&id=1333581&retmode=ref&cmd=prlinks
- Gabapentin loses efficacy over time after nerve injury in rats: Role of glutamate transporter-1 in the locus coeruleus.Pain. 2016; 157: 2024-2032
- Down-regulation of astroglial glutamate transporter-1 in the locus coeruleus impairs pain-evoked endogenous analgesia in rats.Neurosci Lett. 2015; 608: 18-22
- Impaired pain-evoked analgesia after nerve injury in rats reflects altered glutamate regulation in the locus coeruleus.Anesthesiology. 2015; 123: 899-908
- Conditioned pain modulation in populations with chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2012; 13: 936-944
- Regulation of glutamate transporter 1 via BDNF-TrkB signaling plays a role in the anti-apoptotic and antidepressant effects of ketamine in chronic unpredictable stress model of depression.Psychopharmacology. 2016; 233: 405-415
- Amitriptyline, but not pregabalin, reverses the attenuation of noxious stimulus-induced analgesia after nerve injury in rats.Anesth Analg. 2016; 123: 504-510
- Diffuse noxious inhibitory control is delayed in chronic fatigue syndrome: An experimental study.Pain. 2008; 139: 439-448
- Differential effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on high-threshold mechanosensitivity in a rat neuropathic pain model.Neurosci Lett. 2000; 278: 85-88
- The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates.Academic Press;, Cambridge, MA:2007
- Individual differences in acute pain-induced endogenous analgesia predict time to resolution of postoperative pain in the rat.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 895-907
- Impaired modulation of pain in patients with postherpetic neuralgia.Pain Res Manag. 2014; 19: e19-23
- BDNF contributes to both rapid and homeostatic alterations in AMPA receptor surface expression in nucleus accumbens medium spiny neurons.Eur J Neurosci. 2014; 39: 1159-1169
- Beta-amyloid and brain-derived neurotrophic factor, BDNF, up-regulate the expression of glutamate transporter GLT-1/EAAT2 via different signaling pathways utilizing transcription factor NF-kappaB.Neurochem Int. 2003; 43: 363-370
- Immature spinal cord neurons are dynamic regulators of adult nociceptive sensitivity.J Cell Mol Med. 2015; 19: 2352-2364
- Altered balance of glutamatergic/GABAergic synaptic input and associated changes in dendrite morphology after BDNF expression in BDNF-deficient hippocampal neurons.J Neurosci. 2006; 26: 7189-7200
- Gabapentin increases extracellular glutamatergic level in the locus coeruleus via astroglial glutamate transporter-dependent mechanisms.Neuropharmacology. 2014; 81: 95-100
Takasu K, Ono H, Tanabe M: Gabapentin produces PKA-dependent pre-synaptic inhibition of GABAergic synaptic transmission in LC neurons following partial nerve injury in mice. J Neurochem 105:933–942, 2008
- Analgesic activity of certain flavone derivatives: A structure-activity study.J Ethnopharmacol. 1990; 28: 207-214
- The role of the synthetic enzyme GAD65 in the control of neuronal gamma-aminobutyric acid release.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999; 96: 12911-12916
- Effects of chronic administration of amitriptyline, gabapentin and minocycline on spinal brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression and neuropathic pain behavior in a rat chronic constriction injury model.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2013; 38: 124-130
- Dose-related effects of chronic antidepressants on neuroprotective proteins BDNF, Bcl-2 and Cu/Zn-SOD in rat hippocampus.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2003; 28: 53-62
- Effects of duloxetine treatment on cognitive flexibility and BDNF expression in the mPFC of adult male mice exposed to social stress during adolescence.Front Mol Neurosci. 2016; 9: 95
- Conditioned pain modulation (the diffuse noxious inhibitory control-like effect): Its relevance for acute and chronic pain states.Curr Opinion Anaesthesiol. 2010; 23: 611-615
- 7,8-dihydroxyflavone rescues spatial memory and synaptic plasticity in cognitively impaired aged rats.J Neurochem. 2012; 122: 800-811
Supported by Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Scientific and Technology of Japan (No. 26893032 and No. 16K20080 to Dr. Suto), and a research grant from Eli Lilly Japan K.K. (Hyogo, Japan)
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.