- •Oxytocin (OT) modulates pain processing in the ventral striatum.
- •OT counteracts sensitization to repeated pain stimuli via the anterior insula.
- •OT acts on pain anticipation in the posterior insula, boostering associative learning.
- •OT enhances the conditioned fear of pain response mediated in the ventral striatum.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diversity of oxytocin neurons: Beyond magno- and parvocellular cell types?.J Neuroendocrinol. 2017; (Oct 12 [Epub ahead of print])
- A continuous measure of phasic electrodermal activity.J Neurosci Methods. 2010; 190: 80-91
- Towards understanding sex differences in visceral pain: Enhanced reactivation of classically-conditioned fear in healthy women.Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2014; 109: 113-121
- Oxytocin and pain perception: From animal models to human research.Neuroscience. 2017; 387: 149-161
Borsook D, Upadhyay J, Chudler EH, Becerra LJMp: A key role of the basal ganglia in pain and analgesia-insights gained through human functional imaging. Mol Pain 6:27, 2010
- Oxytocin differentially modulates Pavlovian cue and context fear acquisition.Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2017; 12: 976-983
- The action radius of oxytocin release in the mammalian CNS: From single vesicles to behavior.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2017; 38: 982-991
- Neural systems underlying aversive conditioning in humans with primary and secondary reinforcers.Front Neurosci. 2011; 5: 71
- Localization of pain-related brain activation: A meta-analysis of neuroimaging data.Hum Brain Map. 2013; 34: 109-149
- Oxytocin facilitates Pavlovian fear learning in males.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016; 41: 932-939
- Processing of nociceptive input from posterior to anterior insula in humans.Hum Brain Map. 2014; 35: 5486-5499
- Functional dissociation of stimulus intensity encoding and predictive coding of pain in the insula.eLife. 2017; 6
- Interplay between oxytocin and sensory systems in the orchestration of socio-emotional behaviors.Neuron. 2018; 99: 887-904
- Involvement of opioid receptors in oxytocin-induced antinociception in the nucleus accumbens of rats.J Pain. 2007; 8: 85-90
- Recommendations for the standardisation of oxytocin nasal administration and guidelines for its reporting in human research.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013; 38: 612-625
- Single dose of L-dopa makes extinction memories context-independent and prevents the return of fear.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: E2428-E2436
- Pharmacological modulation of pain-related brain activity during normal and central sensitization states in humans.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 18195-18200
- Effect of oxytocin on placebo analgesia: A randomized study.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1733-1735
- From anticipation to the experience of pain: The importance of visceral versus somatic pain modality in neural and behavioral responses to pain-predictive cues.Psychosom Med. 2018; 80: 826-835
- Exploring the brain in pain: Activations, deactivations and their relation.Pain. 2010; 148: 257-267
- From Pavlov to pain: How predictability affects the anticipation and processing of visceral pain in a fear conditioning paradigm.NeuroImage. 2016; 130: 104-114
- Brain activity associated with pain, hyperalgesia and allodynia: An ALE meta-analysis.J Neural Transm. 2011; 118: 1139-1154
- Insular cortex is critical for the perception, modulation, and chronification of pain.Neurosci Bull. 2016; 32: 191-201
- Dissociable roles for the hippocampus and the amygdala in human cued versus context fear conditioning.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 9030-9036
- Cognitive emotion regulation modulates the balance of competing influences on ventral striatal aversive prediction error signals.NeuroImage. 2017; 147: 650-657
- The insular cortex: A review.Prog Brain Res. 2012; 195: 123-163
- Pain anticipation: An activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis of brain imaging studies.Hum Brain Map. 2015; 36: 1648-1661
- Oxytocin in hypothalamic supraoptic nucleus is transferred to the caudate nucleus to influence pain modulation.Neuropeptides. 2016; 58: 61-65
- The effect of intranasal oxytocin administration on acute cold pressor pain: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, within-participants crossover investigation.Psychosom Med. 2014; 76: 422-429
- Quantitative sensory testing: A comprehensive protocol for clinical trials.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 77-88
- The effect of opioid receptor blockade on the neural processing of thermal stimuli.PloS One. 2010; 5: e12344
- Human fear conditioning and extinction in neuroimaging: A systematic review.PloS One. 2009; 4: e5865
- Uncertainty during pain anticipation: The adaptive value of preparatory processes.Hum Brain Map. 2015; 36: 744-755
- Effects of oxytocin and prosocial behavior on brain responses to direct and vicariously experienced pain.Emotion. 2008; 8: 781-791
- Anticipation of thermal pain in diverticular disease.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2016; 28: 900-913
- Kinetics and Dose Dependency of Intranasal Oxytocin Effects on Amygdala Reactivity.Biological psychiatry. 2017; 82: 885-894
- Oxytocin and the modulation of pain experience: Implications for chronic pain management.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 55: 53-67
- Sex-specific effects of intranasal oxytocin on thermal pain perception: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled cross-over study.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017; 83: 101-110
- An fMRI-based neurologic signature of physical pain.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1388-1397
- Differential structural and resting state connectivity between insular subdivisions and other pain-related brain regions.Pain. 2014; 155: 2047-2055
- Anterior insula integrates information about salience into perceptual decisions about pain.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 16324-16331
- The analgesic effects of oxytocin in the peripheral and central nervous system.Neurochem Int. 2017; 103: 57-64
- The impact of prior risk experiences on subsequent risky decision-making: The role of the insula.NeuroImage. 2010; 50: 709-716
- Oxytocin in the rat caudate nucleus influences pain modulation.Peptides. 2011; 32: 2104-2107
- Pain modulation by intranasal oxytocin and emotional picture viewing—A randomized double-blind fMRI study.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 31606
- Effects of intranasal oxytocin on thermal pain in healthy men: A randomized functional magnetic resonance imaging study.Psychosom Med. 2015; 77: 156-166
S.C.H. and M.M.S. contributed equally to this work.
Supported by a grant from the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG) within the Collaborative Research Center (SFB) 1158 (subproject B02 to S.C.H. and V.G.) and the Chica and Heinz Schaller Research Foundation (to V.G.). There are no competing financial interests in relation to the work described. All authors declare no conflict of interest.