- •Multiple pain conditions and sites are very common among people with chronic pain.
- •Some demographic factors are related to the number of pain conditions and sites.
- •The number of pain conditions and sites are associated with pain adjustment profiles.
- •Greater number of pain conditions predicted a higher level of emotional distress.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Comparative fit indexes in structural models.Psychol Bull. 1990; 107: 238-246
- Chronic pain in Australia: A prevalence study.Pain. 2001; 89: 127-134
- Prevalence of chronic pain with neuropathic characteristics in the general population.Pain. 2008; 136: 380-387
- Survey of chronic pain in Europe: Prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 287-333
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Preliminary data from the 2005 national health interview survey. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/wireless2005/wireless2005.htm. Accessed April 16, 2019.
- Fibromyalgia: A clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1547-1555
- Pain assessment: Global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1994; 23: 129-138
- A power primer.Psychol Bull. 1992; 112: 155-159
- Prevalence of chronic pain and high-impact chronic pain among adults–United States, 2016.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep Centers Dis Control Prev. 2018; 67: 1001
- Pain as a risk factor for common mental disorders. Results from the Netherlands Mental Health Survey and Incidence Study-2: A longitudinal, population-based study.Pain. 2018; 159: 712-718
- Chronic pain and psychopathology: Research findings and theoretical considerations.Psychosom Med. 2002; 64: 773-786
- Multidimensional diagnostic criteria for chronic pain: Introduction to the ACTTION–American pain society pain taxonomy (AAPT).J Pain. 2016; 17: T1-T9
- Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2005; 113: 9-19
- Sex, gender, and pain: A review of recent clinical and experimental findings.J Pain. 2009; 10: 447-485
- Assessing depression among persons with chronic pain using the center for epidemiological studies-depression scale and the beck depression inventory: A comparative analysis.Clin J Pain. 1997; 13: 163-170
- Unravelling fibromyalgia—steps toward individualized management.J Pain. 2018; 19: 125-134
- Pain and depressive symptoms in primary care: Moderating role of positive and negative affect.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 562-567
- Chronic pain and mental health disorders: Shared neural mechanisms, epidemiology, and treatment.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 955-970
- A blueprint for transforming prevention, care, education, and research.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities in disabling chronic pain: Findings from the health and retirement study.J Pain. 2017; 18: 1459-1467
- Survey of Pain Attitudes (SOPA) professional manual.Psychol Assess. 2007;
- The prevalence of chronic pain in United States adults: Results of an internet-based Survey.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1230-1239
- Chronic pain and psychopathology: Exploring the motivational context and its clinical implications.in: Karoly P Crombez G Motivational Perspectives on Chronic Pain Theory. Oxford University, New York2018: 355-403
- The West Haven-Yale Multidimensional Pain Inventory (WHYMPI).Pain. 1985; 23: 345-356
- Software review: Software programs for structural equation modeling: Amos, EQS, and LISREL.J Psychoeduc Assess. 1998; 16: 343-364
- Characterization of whole body pain in urological chronic pelvic pain syndrome at baseline: A MAPP Research Network Study.J Urol. 2017; 198: 622-631
- Pain and emotion: A biopsychosocial review of recent research.J Clin Psychol. 2011; 67: 942-968
- The Hamilton Anxiety Scale: Reliability, validity and sensitivity to change in anxiety and depressive disorders.J Affect Disord. 1988; 14: 61-68
- Overlapping chronic pain conditions: Implications for diagnosis and classification.J Pain. 2016; 9: 93-107
- Personality and affect when the central nervous system is sensitized: An analysis of central sensitization syndromes in a substance use disorder population.Psychodyn Psychiatry. 2017; 45: 385-409
- Sex differences in pain and pain inhibition: Multiple explanations of a controversial phenomenon.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2012; 13: 859-866
- Estimates of pain prevalence and severity in adults: United States, 2012.J Pain. 2015; 16: 769-780
- As if one pain problem was not enough: prevalence and patterns of coexisting chronic pain conditions and their impact on treatment outcomes.J Pain Res. 2018; 11: 237-254
- Preliminary validity study of the pain disability index.Percept Mot Skill. 1984; 59: 974
- A systematic literature review of 10 years of research on sex/gender and experimental pain perception - Part 1: Are there really differences between women and men?.Pain. 2012; 153: 602-618
- A systematic literature review of 10 years of research on sex/gender and pain perception - Part 2: Do biopsychosocial factors alter pain sensitivity differently in women and men?.Pain. 2012; 153: 619-635
- The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Appl Psychol Meas. 1977; 1: 385-401
- Evidence for overlap between urological and nonurological unexplained clinical conditions.J Urol. 2013; 189: S66-S74
- Chronic pain and depression: Toward a cognitive-behavioral mediation model.Pain. 1988; 35: 129-140
- The development and preliminary validation of a brief measure of chronic pain impact for use in the general population.Pain. 2005; 113: 82-90
- The development and preliminary validation of the profile of chronic pain: Extended assessment battery.Pain. 2005; 118: 380-389
- Age and the experience of chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2005; 21: 513-523
- Pain and health related functioning among employees.J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2006; 60: 793-798
- A note on multiple sample extensions of the RMSEA fit index.Struct Equ Model. 1998; 5: 411-419
- The prevalence of pain and pain interference in a general population of older adults: Cross-sectional findings from the North Staffordshire Osteoarthritis Project (NorStOP).Pain. 2004; 110: 361-368
- Core outcome domains for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2003; 106: 337-345
- Impact of chronic overlapping pain conditions on public health and the urgent need for safe and effective treatment: 2015 analysis and policy recommendations.Chronic Pain Res Alliance. 2015; : 1-46
- Phenotypic features of central sensitization.J Appl Biobehav Res. 2018; 23: 1-15
- Central sensitization: Implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-S15
- A rating instrument for anxiety disorders.Psychosomatics. 1971; 12: 371-379
Funding support: Funding for this research was supported by T32NS070201 (postdoctoral training for Chung Jung Mun) and R44NS38772-02 (Small Business Innovation Research Grant awarded to Linda Ruehlman) from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
Conflicts of interest: The authors have no conflicts of interest in the conduct of this research.