- •Painful temporomandibular disorders were associated with migraine, but not with probable tension-type headache or with tension-type headache.
- •Painful temporomandibular disorders were associated with a higher primary headache frequency.
- •The Central sensitization related to the migraine may decrease the pain threshold in the trigeminal area.
- •Nociceptive inputs from trigeminal area increases the risk of migraine attack.
- •Concomitant treatment of comorbid conditions is more effective approach.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence of diagnosed temporomandibular disorders among Saudi Arabian children and adolescents.J Headache Pain. 2016; 17: 41
- The associations between psychosocial aspects and TMD-pain related aspects in children and adolescents.J Headache Pain. 2016; 17: 30
- Psychosocial Adjustment of Children With Migraine and Tension-Type Headache - A Nationwide Study.Headache J Head Face Pain. 2015; 55: 39-50
- Migraine and migraine subtypes in preadolescent children: Association with school performance.Neurology. 2012; 79: 1881-1888
- Primary headaches in childhood - A population-based study.Cephalalgia. 2010; 30: 1056-1064
- Frequent headaches in the preadolescent pediatric population: A population-based study.Neurology. 2010; 74: 903-908
- Are headache and temporomandibular disorders related? A blinded study.Cephalalgia. 2008; 28: 832-841
- Temporomandibular disorders and migraine chronification.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2009; 13: 314-318
- Migraine at all ages.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2006; 10: 207-213
- Clinical course in migraine: Conceptualizing migraine transformation.Neurology. 2008; 71: 848-855
- Migraine in Women.Semin Neurol. 2017; 37: 601-610
- The convergence hypothesis.Headache. 2007; 47: 44-51
- Idiopathic pain disorders–pathways of vulnerability.Pain. 2006; 123: 226-230
- Diverse physiological roles of calcitonin gene-related peptide in migraine pathology: Modulation of neuronal-glial-immune cells to promote peripheral and central sensitization.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2016; 20: 1-9
- Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: Review, criteria, examinations and specifications, critique.J Craniomandib Disord. 1992; 6: 301-355
- Parafunctional habits are associated cumulatively to painful temporomandibular disorders in adolescents.Braz Oral Res. 2016; 30: 1-7
- Factors associated with temporomandibular disorders pain in adolescents.J Oral Rehabil. 2015; 42: 113-119
- Temporomandibular disorders in a young adolescent Brazilian population: Epidemiologic characterization and associated factors.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2015; 29: 242-249
- Migraine is the most prevalent primary headache in individuals with temporomandibular disorders.J Orofac Pain. 2010; 24: 287-292
- Headache associated with temporomandibular disorders among young Brazilian adolescents.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 340-345
- Temporomandibular disorders are differentially associated with headache diagnoses.Clin J Pain. 2011; 27: 611-615
- Headache and symptoms of temporomandibular disorder: An epidemiological study.Headache J Head Face Pain. 2010; 50: 231-241
- Treatment of comorbid migraine and temporomandibular disorders: A factorial, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study.J Orofac Pain. 2013; 27: 325-335
- School functioning and chronic pain: A review of methods and measures.J Pediatr Psychol. 2011; 36: 991-1002
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version).Cephalalgia. 2013; 33: 629-808
- The international classification of headache disorders: 2nd edition.Cephalalgia. 2004; 24: 9-160
- Applied Logistic Regression.Wiley, New York2000
- Applied Survival Analysis: Regression Modeling of Time to Event Data.Wiley, New York1999
- Características étnico-raciais da população: classificação e identidades.(editor)Estud e Análises informação demográfica e socioeconômica. 2nd ed. IBGE, Rio de Janeiro2013
- Indicadores sociodemográficos e de saúde no Brasil.2nd ed. IBGE, Rio de Janeiro2009
- Critérios de diagnóstico para pesquisa das disfunções temporomandibulares (RDC/TMD). Tradução oficial para a língua portuguesa/Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (RDC/TMD): formal translation to Portuguese.J Bras Clin Odontol Integr. 2004; 8: 384-395
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1997; 33: 159-174
- Headache prevalence and characteristics among adolescents in the general population: A comparison between retrospect questionnaire and prospective paper diary data.J Headache Pain. 2014; 15: 1-10
- Central sensitization: A generator of pain hypersensitivity by central neural plasticity.J Pain. 2009; 10: 895-926
- Relationship of pain and symptoms to pubertal development in adolescents.Pain. 2005; 118: 201-209
- Predictors of onset of facial pain and temporomandibular disorders in early adolescence.Pain. 2007; 129: 269-278
- Migraine diagnosis and treatment: Results from the American Migraine Study II.Headache. 2001; 41: 638-645
- Prevalence and burden of migraine in the United States: Data from the American Migraine Study II.Headache. 2001; 41: 646-657
- Pain terms: A list with definitions and notes on usage.Pain. 1979; 6: 361-368
- Headache and co-morbid pains associated with TMD pain in adolescents.J Dent Res. 2013; 92: 802-807
- Diagnostic criteria for headache attributed to temporomandibular disorders.Cephalalgia. 2012; 32: 683-692
- Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders (DC/TMD) for clinical and research applications: Recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network* and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group†.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2014; 28: 6-27
- The Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders. V: Methods used to establish and validate revised Axis I diagnostic algorithms.J Orofac Pain. 2010; 24: 63-78
- Acute and chronic craniofacial pain: Brainstem mechanisms of nociceptive transmission and neuroplasticity, and their clinical correlates.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2000; 11: 57-91
- Temporomandibular dysfunction and headache disorder.Headache J Head Face Pain. 2015; 55: 72-83
- Muscle pain in the head: Overlap between temporomandibular disorders and tension-type headaches.Curr Opin Neurol. 2007; 20: 320-325
- Temporal change in headache and its contribution to the risk of developing first-onset temporomandibular disorder in the orofacial pain: Prospective Evaluation and Risk Assessment (OPPERA) study.Pain. 2017; 158: 120-129
- Neuron-glia signaling in trigeminal ganglion: Implications for migraine pathology.Headache. 2007; 47: 1008-1023
- Orofacial Pain: Guidelines for Assessment, Diagnosis, and Management.in: de Leeuw R Klasser G Orofacial Pain: Guidelines for Assessment, Diagnosis, and Management. 5th ed. Quintessence Publishing Co, Chicago2013
World Health Organization: Definition of key terms. Available at: www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/arv2013/intro/keyterms/en/ Accessed November 28, 2016
Presented at the 15th World Congress on Pain of the International Association for the Study of Pain, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
“Coordenação de Aperfeiçamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior – CAPES,” granted one of the authors (G.F.) with a scholarship.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.