- •Experimentally induced hyperalgesia in human models of neuropathic pain is short-lived.
- •Peri-incisional punctate hyperalgesia lasts for 4–8 weeks after inguinal hernia repair.
- •There are concomitant heat and cold detection deficits, which persist beyond 6 months.
- •Subacute incisional punctate hyperalgesia reflects central sensitization.
- •Measures of subacute punctate hyperalgesia may be useful in analgesic drug assays.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Neurophysiological characterization of postherniotomy pain.Pain. 2008; 137: 173-181
- Heterogeneous sensory processing in persistent postherniotomy pain.Pain. 2010; 150: 237-242
- Persistent sensory dysfunction in pain-free herniotomy.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2010; 54: 291-298
- Influence of preservation versus division of ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, and genital nerves during open mesh herniorrhaphy: Prospective multicentric study of chronic pain.Ann Surg. 2006; 243: 553-558
- Secondary hyperalgesia to mechanical but not heat stimuli following a capsaicin injection in hairy skin.Pain. 1996; 68: 401-411
- Neuropathic pain: Diagnosis, pathophysiological mechanisms, and treatment.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 807-819
- Development and validation of the Neuropathic Pain Symptom Inventory.Pain. 2004; 108: 248-257
- Characterization of a rat model of incisional pain.Pain. 1996; 64: 493-502
- Identifying biological markers of activity in human nociceptive pathways to facilitate analgesic drug development.Pain. 2008; 140: 249-253
- Predicting therapeutic efficacy - experimental pain in human subjects.Brain Res Rev. 2009; 60: 243-254
- Neuropathic pain: A maladaptive response of the nervous system to damage.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2009; 32
- Conceptual adequacy of the neuropathic pain symptom inventory in six countries.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2008; 6: 62
- 'Balanced analgesia' in the perioperative period: Is there a place for ketamine?.Pain. 2001; 92: 373-380
- Learning to identify CNS drug action and efficacy using multistudy fMRI data.Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7: 274ra216
- Psychophysics, flare, and neurosecretory function in human pain models: Capsaicin versus electrically evoked pain.J Pain. 2007; 8: 503-514
- Chronic pain and cutaneous sensory changes after inguinal hernia repair: Comparison between open and laparoscopic techniques.Hernia. 1999; 3: 75-80
- The relationship between movement-evoked versus spontaneous pain and peak expiratory flow after abdominal hysterectomy.Anesth Analg. 2002; 95: 1702-1707
- Studying sex and gender differences in pain and analgesia: A consensus report.Pain. 2007; 132: S26-S45
- Heat pain detection threshold is associated with the area of secondary hyperalgesia following brief thermal sensitization: A study of healthy male volunteers.J Pain Res. 2017; 10: 265-274
- The neuropathic component in persistent postsurgical pain: A systematic literature review.Pain. 2013; 154: 95-102
- Pharmacological modulation of pain-related brain activity during normal and central sensitization states in humans.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 18195-18200
- Inguinal hernias.BMJ. 2008; 336: 269-272
- Postoperative morphine use and hyperalgesia are reduced by preoperative but not intraoperative epidural analgesia: Implications for preemptive analgesia and the prevention of central sensitization.Anesthesiology. 2003; 98: 1449-1460
- Central origin of secondary mechanical hyperalgesia.J Neurophysiol. 2003; 90: 353-359
- Neurogenic hyperalgesia: Psychophysical studies of underlying mechanisms.J Neurophysiol. 1991; 66: 190-211
- Prognostic value of age for chronic postoperative inguinal pain.Hernia. 2015; 19: 549-555
- Amygdala activity contributes to the dissociative effect of cannabis on pain perception.Pain. 2013; 154: 124-134
- Identifying brain activity specifically related to the maintenance and perceptual consequence of central sensitization in humans.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 11642-11649
- Chronic post-surgical pain: 10 years on.Br J Anaesth. 2008; 101: 77-86
- Roles of capsaicin-insensitive nociceptors in cutaneous pain and secondary hyperalgesia.Brain. 2001; 124: 1754-1764
- Diagnosis and assessment of neuropathic pain.F1000 Med Rep. 2009; 1
- Pain and sensory dysfunction 6 to 12 months after inguinal herniotomy.Anesth Analg. 2004; 99: 146-151
- Animal models of pain: Progress and challenges.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10: 283-294
- An overview of the features influencing pain after inguinal hernia repair.Int J Surg. 2008; 6: 351-356
- Human experimental pain models for assessing the therapeutic efficacy of analgesic drugs.Pharmacol Rev. 2012; 64: 722-779
- Increasing participation of women in early phase clinical trials approved by the FDA.Womens Health Issues. 2009; 19: 89-93
- Evidence for different mechanisms of primary and secondary hyperalgesia following heat injury to the glabrous skin.Brain. 1984; 107: 1179-1188
- Animal models and the prediction of efficacy in clinical trials of analgesic drugs: A critical appraisal and call for uniform reporting standards.Pain. 2008; 139: 243-247
- Mapping of punctuate hyperalgesia around a surgical incision demonstrates that ketamine is a powerful suppressor of central sensitization to pain following surgery.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1997; 41: 1124-1132
- Preoperative hair removal to reduce surgical site infection.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; CD004122
- Neuropathic pain: Redefinition and a grading system for clinical and research purposes.Neurology. 2008; 70: 1630-1635
- Peripheral and central mechanisms of cutaneous hyperalgesia.Prog Neurobiol. 1992; 38: 397-421
- Stratifying patients with peripheral neuropathic pain based on sensory profiles: Algorithm and sample size recommendations.Pain. 2017; 158: 1446-1455
- Disambiguating pharmacological mechanisms from placebo in neuropathic pain using functional neuroimaging.Br J Anaesth. 2018; 120: 299-307
- Central sensitization: Implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-15
- Secondary hyperalgesia to punctate mechanical stimuli. Central sensitization to A-fibre nociceptor input.Brain. 1999; 122: 2245-2257
Supported by an unrestricted educational grant from GlaxoSmithKline UK, and by the Cambridge National Institute of Health Research Biomedical Research Centre. D.W.W. and M.C.L. were in receipt of Medical Research Council (MRC) Research Training Fellowships. D.K.M. is supported by a National Institute of Health Research Senior Investigator Award. The authors declare no conflicts of interest. We acknowledge assistance from Lisa Law (previously based at MRC Biostatistics Unit at the University of Cambridge) for assistance with power calculations.