- •Youth with chronic pain have lower family income and more barriers to health care.
- •They have also experienced more violence and more safety concerns.
- •More health care barriers increase risk for pain and may exacerbate disparities.
- •Safety concerns among youth with chronic pain lead to worse mental health.
- •Research is needed on the pain experiences of youth from diverse backgrounds.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Racial and ethnic disparities in pain: Causes and consequences of unequal care.J Pain. 2009; 10: 1187-1204
- Amos (Version 23.0).IBM SPSS, Chicago, IL2014
- Associations between lifetime potentially traumatic events and chronic physical conditions in the South African Stress and Health Survey: A cross-sectional study.BMC Psychiatry. 2016; 16: 214
- Sex differences in pain: A brief review of clinical and experimental findings.Br J Anaesth. 2013; 111: 52-58
- Depressive symptoms, daily stress, and adherence in late adolescents with type 1 diabetes.Health Psychol. 2015; 34: 522
- Do sleep and psychological distress mediate the association between neighborhood factors and pain?.Pain Med. 2018;
Brownstein N, Kalsbeek WD, Tabor J, Entzel P, Daza E, Harris KM: Non-response in Wave IV of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Available at: www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/data/guides/W4_nonresponse.pdf. Accessed May 27, 2019
- Transition from acute to chronic pain and disability: A model including cognitive, affective, and trauma factors.Pain. 2008; 134: 69-79
Chantala K, Kalsbeek WD, Andraca E: Non-response in Wave III of the Add Health study. Available at: https://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/documentation/guides/W3nonres.pdf. Accessed May 27, 2019
- Factor structure of the adult responses to children's symptoms: Validation in children and adolescents with diverse chronic pain conditions.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 410-417
- Pain in cultural communicative contexts.in: McGrath P. Stevens B. Walker S. Zempsky W. Oxford Textbook of Paediatric Pain. Oxford University Press, New York2013: 102-110
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Chronic pain in children: A look at the referral process to a pediatric pain clinic.Int J Pediatr. 2017; 2017
- Anxiety adversely impacts response to cognitive behavioral therapy in children with chronic pain.J Pediatr. 2016; 171: 227-233
- A review of the literature on care of clients in pain who are culturally diverse.Int Nurs Rev. 2004; 51: 47-55
- Gender role expectations of pain is associated with pain tolerance limit but not with pain threshold.Pain. 2009; 145: 230-236
- When helping hurts: Miscarried helping in families of youth with chronic pain.J Pediatr Psychol. 2014; 39: 427-437
- Sex, gender, and pain: A review of recent clinical and experimental findings.J Pain. 2009; 10: 447-485
- Interpersonal violence exposure and chronic pain in adult sickle cell patients.J Interpers Violence. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260517691521
- Ethnicity matters in the assessment and treatment of children's pain.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 378-380
- The biopsychosocial approach to chronic pain: Scientific advances and future directions.Psychol Bull. 2007; 133: 581
- A longitudinal examination of neighborhood socioeconomic factors and chronic pain outcomes.J Pain. 2009; 10: S7
- Associations between adolescent chronic pain and prescription opioid misuse in adulthood.J Pain. 2018;
- Recurrent pain in children, socio-economic factors and accumulation in families.Eur J Epidemiol. 2003; 18: 965-975
Harris KM: The Add Health Study: Design and Accomplishments. Available at: https://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/documentation/guides/DesignPaperWave_IIV.pdf. Accessed May 27, 2019
Harris KM, Halpern CT, Whitsel E, Hussey J, Tabor J, Entzel P, Udry J: National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health: Research Design. Available at: http://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/design. Accessed March 29, 2019
- Ethnic differences and responses to pain in healthy young adults.Pain Med. 2005; 6: 61-71
- Post‐traumatic stress symptoms in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A topical review of the literature and a proposed framework for future research.Eur J Pain. 2016; 20: 1371-1383
- SPSS Statistics for Windows (Version 25.0).IBM SPSS Corp, Armonk, NY2017
- The psychometric properties of the Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders in pediatric chronic pain.J Pediatr Psychol. 2012; 37: 999-1011
Kalsbeek WD, Yang J, Agans RP: Predictors of nonresponse in a longitudinal survey of adolescents. In: Annual Meeting of the American Statistical Association, Joint Statistical Meetings, Alexandria, VA, 2002:1740-1745.
- Nonfinancial barriers and access to care for U.S. adults.Health Serv Res. 2012; 47: 462-485
- Prevalence of functional gastrointestinal disorders in children and adolescents.J Pediatr. 2016; 177: 39-43.e33
- Measuring treatment response in an outpatient pediatric pain program.Clin Pract Pediatr Psychol. 2015; 3: 1-11
- Neighborhood, socioeconomic, and racial influence on chronic pain.Pain Manag Nurs. 2018; 19: 14-22
- Childhood exposure to violence and chronic physical conditions in a national sample of US adolescents.Psychosom Med. 2016; 78: 1072
- “I can't be what I want to be”: Children's narratives of chronic pain experiences and treatment outcomes.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 1018-1034
- Trajectories of symptoms and impairment for pediatric patients with functional abdominal pain: A 5-year longitudinal study.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006; 45: 737-744
- Health complaints in late adolescence: Frequency, factor structure and the association with socio-economic status.Scand J Public Health. 2018; 46: 141-149
- A conceptual framework for understanding the role of adverse childhood experiences in pediatric chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2016;
- Chronic pain in adolescence and internalizing mental health disorders: A nationally representative study.Pain. 2016; 157: 1333
- Health care access, use of services, and experiences among undocumented Mexicans and other Latinos.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 2354-2360
- Assessment and Management of Children with Chronic Pain: A Position Statement from the American Pain Society.American Pain Society, Chicago, IL2013
- Daily functioning and quality of life in children with sickle cell disease pain: Relationship with family and neighborhood socioeconomic distress.J Pain. 2008; 9: 833-840
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Population-based survey of pain in the United States: Differences among white, African American, and Hispanic subjects.J Pain. 2004; 5: 317-328
- Racial/ethnic differences in adolescents' physical symptoms.J Pediatr Nurs. 2005; 20: 153-162
- Social risk and resilience factors in adolescent chronic pain: Examining the role of parents and peers.J Pediatr Psychol. 2017; 43: 303-313
- A prospective school-based study of abdominal pain and other common somatic complaints in children.J Pediatr. 2009; 154: 322-326
- Neighborhood characteristics: Influences on pain and physical function in youth at risk for chronic pain.Children. 2016; 3: 35
- Associations between lifetime traumatic events and subsequent chronic physical conditions: A cross-national, cross-sectional study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e80573
- The relation of social functioning to school impairment among adolescents with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 16-22
- Sex differences in pain and pain-related disability among primary care patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 232-239
- No man is an island: Living in a disadvantaged neighborhood influences chronic pain development after motor vehicle collision.Pain. 2014; 155: 2116-2123
- Influence of parental occupation on access to specialised treatment for paediatric chronic pain.Der Schmerz. 2013; 27: 305-311
- Validation of a measure of protective parent responses to children's pain.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 712
- Exposure to community violence and physical health outcomes in youth: A systematic review.J Pediatr Psychol. 2016; 42: 364-378
- Measurement invariance via multigroup SEM: Issues and solutions with chi-square-difference tests.Psychol Methods. 2016; 21: 405
Disclosures: No funding sources were provided for this research. The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.