- •Providers rated Black pediatric patients as more distressed by pain.
- •Providers rated Black pediatric patients as experiencing more pain interference.
- •Providers were more likely to recommended opioids to Black pediatric patients.
- •Providers rated female pediatric patients as more distressed by pain.
- •Providers did not recommend different pain treatments based on patient gender.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Recent treatment guidelines for managing adult patients with sickle cell disease: Challenges in access to care, social issues, and adherence.Expert Rev Hematol. 2016; 9: 541-552
- Chronic abdominal pain in children.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: e370
American Pain Society. Links of childhood pain to adult chronic pain, fibromyalgia. ScienceDaily, 2013.
- Racial and ethnic disparities in pain: Causes and consequences of unequal care.J Pain. 2009; 10: 1187-1204
- Analgesics for the treatment of pain in children.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1094-1103
- Race, racism and health: disparities, mechanisms, and interventions.J Behav Med. 2009; 32: 1
- Are providers more likely to contribute to healthcare disparities under high levels of cognitive load? How features of the healthcare setting may lead to biases in medical decision making.Med Decis Making. 2010; 30: 246-257
- The effect of cognitive load and patient race on physicians' decisions to prescribe opioids for chronic low back pain: A randomized trial.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 965-974
- Understanding the provider contribution to race/ethnicity disparities in pain treatment: Insights from dual process models of stereotyping.Pain Med. 2006; 7: 119-134
- Abdominal pain-related functional gastrointestinal disorders in children.Br J Nurs. 2017; 26: 624-631
- Evidence-based assessment of pediatric pain.J Pediatr Psychol. 2007; 33: 939-955
- Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States (2005).U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
- Racial and ethnic disparities in early childhood health and health care.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: e183-e193
- Social functioning and peer relationships in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A systematic review.Pain Res Manag. 2010; 15: 27-41
Galvin, G. “How Racial Bias Shaped the Opioid Epidemic.” US News and World Report. Retrieved fromhttps://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2019-02-11/racism-helped-shape-the-opioid-epidemic-study-suggests
- Racial and ethnic differences in antibiotic use for viral illness in emergency departments.Pediatrics. 2017; 140: 1-8
- Racial disparities in pain management of children with appendicitis in emergency departments.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 996-1002
- Implicit bias among physicians and its prediction of thrombolysis decisions for black and white patients.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1231-1238
- Measuring individual differences in implicit cognition: The implicit association test.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1998; 74: 1464
- Understanding and using the implicit association test: I. An improved scoring algorithm.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2003; 85: 197
- Understanding and using the Implicit Association Test: III. Meta-analysis of predictive validity.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2009; 97: 17-41
- Stereotyping and nurses' recommendations for treating pain in hospitalized children.Res Nurs Health. 2007; 30: 655-666
- Racial differences in opioid prescribing for children in the United States.Pain. 2018; 159: 2050-2057
- A. Association of unconscious race and social class bias with vignette-based clinical assessments by medical students.JAMA. 2011; 306: 942-951
- Implicit racial/ethnic bias among health care professionals and its influence on health care outcomes: a systematic review.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e60-e76
- Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach.Methodology in the Social Sciences, The Guilford Press, NY2013
- Pain assessment and treatment disparities: A virtual human technology investigation.Pain. 2009; 143: 106-113
- The interaction of patient race, provider bias, and clinical ambiguity on pain management decisions.J Pain. 2015; 16: 558-568
- The influence of patient's sex, race and depression on clinician pain treatment decisions.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 1569-1579
- The influence of patient sex, provider sex, and sexist attitudes on pain treatment decisions.J Pain. 2014; 15: 551-559
- The girl who cried pain: A bias against women in the treatment of pain.J Law Med Ethics. 2001; 28: 13-27
- Variation in advanced imaging for pediatric patients with abdominal pain discharged from the ED.Am J Emerg Med. 2016; 34: 2320-2325
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- National Pain Strategy: A Comprehensive Population Health-Level Strategy for Pain.Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2015
- Estimating and testing mediation and moderation in within-subjects designs.Psych Methods. 2001; 6: 115-134
- Analgesia for emergency centers' orthopedic patients; Does an ethnic bias exist?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997; 334: 270-275
- Epidemiology of pediatric functional abdominal pain disorders: A meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2015; 10: 1-17
Kuser, T. “Yale Study Shows Racial Disparities in Opioid Prescribing Habits.”Retrieved from https://www.wshu.org/post/yale-study-shows-racial-disparities-opioid-prescribing-habits#stream/0
- Defining gender disparities in pain management.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 1871-1877
- Ruling out the need for antibiotics: Are we sending the right message?.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 945-952
- Development and Preliminary Test of a Measure Assessing Implicit Beliefs about Race Differences in Pain.in: 17th World Congress on Pain in Boston, USA. September, 2018
- Moderation analysis in two-instance repeated-measures designs: Probing methods and multiple moderator models.Behav Res Methods. 2019; 51: 61-82
- Two condition within-participant statistical mediation analysis: A path-analytic framework.Psychol Methods. 2017; 22: 6-27
- Compiling the evidence: The national healthcare disparities reports.Health Affairs. 2005; 24: 376-387
- Racial differences in the pain management of children recovering from anesthesia.Paediatr Anaesth. 2017; 27: 760-767
- Race, ethnicity, and analgesia provision at discharge among children with long-bone fractures requiring emergency care.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013; 29: 492-497
- The nature of contemporary prejudice: Insights from aversive racism.Soc Personal Psychol Compass. 2009; 3: 314-338
- Is racism a fundamental cause of inequalities in health?.Annu Rev Sociol. 2015; 41: 311-330
- Trends in opioid prescribing by race/ethnicity for patients seeking care in US emergency departments.JAMA. 2008; 299: 70-78
- The impact of racism on the sexual and reproductive health of African American women.J Womens Health. 2016; 25: 664-671
Procento P, Miller MM, Anastas TA, Hollingshead N, Hirsh AT. Perceived Exaggeration Mediates the Relationship of Patient Race and Socioeconomic Status with Provider Opioid Recommendations in Chronic Pain. Poster session presented at the World Congress on Pain. Boston, MA.
- The impact of race on analgesia use among pediatric emergency department patients.J Pediatr. 2014; 165: 618-621
- Gender role expectations of pain: Relationship to sex differences in pain.J Pain. 2001; 2: 251-257
- The influence of implicit bias on treatment recommendations for 4 common pediatric conditions: Pain, urinary tract infection, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and asthma.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 988-995
- Systematic review of pain medicine content, teaching, and assessment in medical school curricula internationally.Pain Ther. 2018; 7: 139-161
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2002
- Examining the associations of racism, sexism, and stressful life events on psychological distress among African American women.Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2014; 20: 561
- Questioning children: Interactional evidence of implicit bias in medical interviews.Soc Psychol Q. 2007; 70: 424-441
- Racial/ethnic disparities in the assessment and treatment of pain: Psychosocial perspectives.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 131
- Racial and ethnic disparities in emergency department analgesic prescription.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 2067-2073
- Ethnicity as a risk factor for inadequate emergency department analgesia.JAMA. 1993; 269: 1537-1539
- Dyadic interracial interactions: A meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 2012; 138: 1-27
- The perception of pain in others: How gender, race, and age influence pain expectations.J Pain. 2012; 13: 220-227
- Black and white middle class children who have private health insurance in the United States.Pediatrics. 1999; 104: 151-157
- Gender role expectations of pain: relationship to experimental pain perception.Pain. 2002; 96: 335-342
- Effect of ethnicity and race on the use of pain medications in children with long bone fractures in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42: 41-47
Disclosures: The authors have nothing to disclose. We confirm that no closely related manuscripts have been submitted for simultaneous consideration to this or another journal. There are no conflicts of interest that might be seen as influencing or prejudicing the research. This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.